The funny thing is you never hear that charge leveled when a white male is selected. I guess if you don't say the quiet part out loud, it's not a problem. Winks and nods and silent understandings are presumably okay too.
This is a false premise Frank. It's not the selection that is the issue, but the criteria which is used to make that selection.
If someone said I am going to make sure my VP is a white male, you most certainly would hear backlash. As a matter of fact, Richard Spencer makes it his life's mission to insist white non-jewish men should run things, and he gets near universal backlash. So your assertion is clearly wrong.
However, if someone made no public comment about what race or gender his/her VP should be, there would not be any racal/gender backlash regardless if that person was a white man or black woman.
Let me clearly state, I really don't think it should matter what race or gender the pick is. I am just merely pointing out making that a criteria of selection gives those that do a lot of ammo to work with. Of course we can, and should push back on those people, for making race an issue, but they can very easily turn the argument around by saying Biden was the one who made it an issue in the first place.
If this ends up fomenting to the surface, it will be a bad position for the country to be in and solely be the fault of the Dems for creating it.
Here's another way of thinking about it, if race is clearly an issue, then why were all of the minority candidates the first to drop out of the primaries? I mean if race is so important, what does that say about Democrat voters?
