Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 400   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political  (Read 208925 times)

Peter McLennan

Re: PLAYPEN: Covid-19 Everything Political
« Reply #6800 on: August 07, 2020, 08:47:05 pm »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6801 on: August 07, 2020, 09:54:22 pm »

I think I read today (or yesterday) that Trump wants to impose 10% tariffs on Canadian aluminum again. Does anyone know what brought this on again? I thought the new NAFTA fixed everything, what happened that I missed? The only thing I saw in an article was something about national security concerns, which can mean anything you want it to.

Also, I can't figure out why Trump is suddenly concerned about TikTok. It seemed to come out of the blue to me, but then I could easily have missed something. I asked a friend in California and he thinks it's because it was TikTok users who allegedly sabotaged one of his rallies. That explanation makes sense, but I don't know if it's true. I think I read somewhere that they were concerned about TikTok data privacy and security presumably because it's a Chinese company, but at this point whose data bases haven't been breached? Anyway, didn't Snowden's revelations show that privacy is being attacked by the US's own security services? Hard to imagine that usernames and passwords on TikTok add much to internet security problems. I hope there is something more to this.
--
Robert

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6802 on: August 07, 2020, 11:54:23 pm »

I think I read today (or yesterday) that Trump wants to impose 10% tariffs on Canadian aluminum again. Does anyone know what brought this on again? I thought the new NAFTA fixed everything, what happened that I missed?

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain..."

Deny, deflect, distract.  Simple as that.

Now, Americans will pay more for everything from beer cans to jet fighters.

How clever.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6803 on: August 08, 2020, 08:19:20 am »

I'm sorry but I have another gloom and doom article for you, https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/, this time from a Canadian anthropologist. He sees things more bleakly than most people, I suspect, but it's probably a good thing to be aware of the very "bad" if only so that you know what "good" looks like. A safe space alert, Trumpeteers will not like this but you probably already knew that.
Thanks for the link! Like very much the historical context of the article.
Let us hope there will be a positive change in the US under Biden.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6804 on: August 08, 2020, 10:57:25 am »

Hey, Alan.  Did you read it? Any comments?

Do you still reserve comment on the  "The Atlantic" article?

The Atlantic and Rolling Stones are liberal left publications.  I'm not going to waste my time reading every opinion piece that cherry picks its data and presents it in a biased way.  I get enough of that here in the forums.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6805 on: August 08, 2020, 11:03:35 am »

Your hope is one we hear all the time here from foreigners.  Trump has been hard on other countries making them pay their fair share and punishing them them for violating trade norms that hurt Americans.  So it's natural that non-Americans would prefer the old fashioned American president like a Biden who would kowtow to other nations than a Trump who protects American interests and is hard on you. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6806 on: August 08, 2020, 12:36:28 pm »

The Atlantic and Rolling Stones are liberal left publications.  I'm not going to waste my time reading every opinion piece that cherry picks its data and presents it in a biased way.  I get enough of that here in the forums.  :)

"Waste my time"  Really?  This from a guy who apparently has more time for the Internet than nearly anybody?  Hee. 

Classic predjudice, Alan. You are Pre-Judging, scairdy cat.  So afraid you might learn something.  And at your age, too!  Who'd a thunk it?

The Rolling Stone item, while opinionated, does present a pretty cogent case for those who have enough time to actually inform their opinions with facts, as opposed to acquiring them from Internet forums.  :)

Go on, Alan.  I dare you to exit your comfort zone for just ten minutes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6807 on: August 08, 2020, 12:50:00 pm »

"Waste my time"  Really?  This from a guy who apparently has more time for the Internet than nearly anybody?  Hee. 

Classic predjudice, Alan. You are Pre-Judging, scairdy cat.  So afraid you might learn something.  And at your age, too!  Who'd a thunk it?

The Rolling Stone item, while opinionated, does present a pretty cogent case for those who have enough time to actually inform their opinions with facts, as opposed to acquiring them from Internet forums.  :)

Go on, Alan.  I dare you to exit your comfort zone for just ten minutes.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/

I do waste too much time in the forums.  I've been trying to wean myself.  We just had a two day power failure here in NJ due to the storm.  We had to throw out all the food in the fridge and freezer.  The film boxes stored in the freezer became a little soggy.  I had about hundred emails when I turned my computer on again, having ignored them in my cellphone.  Emails!  More time wasters. I keep getting drawn back into the Forums.  I think I need a 12 Step program or rehab.  :) 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6808 on: August 08, 2020, 01:02:15 pm »

I think I need a 12 Step program or rehab.  :)

You don't need rehab, you simply need to change your habits.  Wherever you go regularly, don't go there for a while.  Go somewhere else.  Learn something new.

Here's an example. Before you click away from an old man on a beach, be first aware that this "Guy" is a famous composer.  He does movie scores for the likes of BBC nature series, MARVEL movies (Avengers, etc) and also runs a huge online music education business. 

He's WAY smarter than you or me or nearly anyone else on this forum.  Enjoy. If only for a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpf6bDpDaQY

faberryman

« Reply #6809 on: August 08, 2020, 01:21:20 pm »

Your hope is one we hear all the time here from foreigners.

Who is "we"?

Where exactly in central New Jersey do you run into these foreigners all the time who share with you their opinions on American politics.

faberryman

« Reply #6810 on: August 08, 2020, 01:44:57 pm »

I think I read today (or yesterday) that Trump wants to impose 10% tariffs on Canadian aluminum again. Does anyone know what brought this on again? I thought the new NAFTA fixed everything, what happened that I missed? The only thing I saw in an article was something about national security concerns, which can mean anything you want it to.

Trump is pissed off at Trudeau for not coming to the White House in July during a pandemic to celebrate whatever NAFTA is now called. Also Trump is pissed off at Canadians in general for having done a better job at managing the virus. So Trump tacked on a 10% tariff on aluminum just to show Canada who's boss. Boy is that Trump tough. Better not mess with him. So Americans will pay more for products using aluminum and Canada will sell its aluminum elsewhere. Childish, really. I wonder what Canada is going to put a 10% on in retaliation?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 09:49:20 pm by faberryman »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6811 on: August 08, 2020, 02:08:35 pm »

You don't need rehab, you simply need to change your habits.  Wherever you go regularly, don't go there for a while.  Go somewhere else.  Learn something new.

Here's an example. Before you click away from an old man on a beach, be first aware that this "Guy" is a famous composer.  He does movie scores for the likes of BBC nature series, MARVEL movies (Avengers, etc) and also runs a huge online music education business. 

He's WAY smarter than you or me or nearly anyone else on this forum.  Enjoy. If only for a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpf6bDpDaQY

Photoshop for music.  Very interesting.  I feel cured already.  :)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6812 on: August 08, 2020, 06:03:54 pm »

Positive change? How could there not be. Here's how to start, on Jan 20th:

1) Revoke every executive order Trump has issued, with possible rare exceptions.
2) Fire every single person he or his toadies have appointed--unfortunately, judges cannot be fired.
3) Fumigate the White House and Air Force One.
4) Cancel the contract with McDonalds

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #6813 on: August 08, 2020, 06:43:28 pm »

90% tax for the billionaires as in the old days when the US flourished; with the money you support the small and medium enterprises.
Do something about the segregation in the US; in my opinion it should start at mixed primary schools.
Stop spending money so much on defense and arms; use the money to make a basic heathinsurance system that is available to every citizen.
Move away from gas and oil and start with a green energy plan. That is the future; if not the US will look soon like a polluted kind of Cuba.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6814 on: August 08, 2020, 07:25:14 pm »

I do waste too much time in the forums.  I've been trying to wean myself. . . .  I think I need a 12 Step program or rehab.  :)

Not yet: your mission is incomplete.  All the other Trumpistas in this forum appear to have taken a hike.  You cannot abandon The Cause.  Persevere.  Fight the good fight.  The eyes of Texas are upon you.  Speak softly and carry a big stick.  Taxation without representation is tyranny.  Keep calm and carry on.  Leave no cliché unuttered or metaphor unmixed.

We depend on your contributions to this tread.

On January 20, you will have earned a well-deserved rest.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6815 on: August 08, 2020, 08:08:04 pm »

Not yet: your mission is incomplete.  All the other Trumpistas in this forum appear to have taken a hike.  You cannot abandon The Cause.  Persevere.  Fight the good fight.  The eyes of Texas are upon you.  Speak softly and carry a big stick.  Taxation without representation is tyranny.  Keep calm and carry on.  Leave no cliché unuttered or metaphor unmixed.

I don't think I'm going to make it Chris.  You guys are wearing me out.  Of course you need a foil or the thread will die.  Where's Slobodan when you need him?  My new LF lens is calling me and I haven't shot anything with it yet.  Velvia 50 loaded.  Oh the humanity. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6816 on: August 08, 2020, 08:11:50 pm »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #6817 on: August 08, 2020, 08:20:18 pm »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6818 on: August 08, 2020, 09:39:16 pm »

Just to take people's minds off Covid for a moment, here's a story about another respiratory disease, https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/08/the-deadly-disease-that-really-scares-coal-miners-392372, the kind coal miners get. I bet it's one of those diseases most people thought was gone like measles and leprosy. I remember reading a story about a health official in West Virginia who was trying to collect epidemiological data from residents who lived close to open pit mines but various authorities prevented him from doing so. (I lost the link to the story.) They didn't want the data. Seems like such a typical thing to do, isn't it, not deal with the problem, just wait for the lawsuits and drag them out. The book on how to deal with stuff like this was written a long time ago. That's the trouble with environmental legislation, it costs money, way cheaper to kill people, especially ones who can't afford lawyers.

--
Robert

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #6819 on: August 09, 2020, 11:09:41 am »

Not all of us have "taken a hike".  I can't speak for others but I'm simply busy earning a buck and find little time to read or post. 

And given the point in time in this election cycle, there is little left to say.  Sides are mostly chosen and continiued banter is meaningless.

Now we just wait to see where the votes come down and move on with our lives. 
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 400   Go Up