Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60   Go Down

Author Topic: Covid 19 Updates Part 2  (Read 30299 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Re: Covid 19 Updates Part 2
« Reply #540 on: April 02, 2020, 01:54:01 pm »

All of you armchair philosophers from abroad... you do not know, nor understand the situation in the States. I have friends from Chicago who are buying guns for the first time (a mother of three). If you think things are hypothetical, just remember there were race riots before (LA). Couple that with possible hunger and lack of everything among the poor, regardless of race, and you'd understand the possibility of another race/class riots, and the need to protect yourself and your family.

Slobodan, I live in a country where the demographics are pretty much the opposite of the States and I'm sure I don't need to explain the recent racial history of South Africa to anyone.. and yet, the last thought that would have come to my mind would be to go out and buy a gun. Not one person I know has even mentioned the idea....

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #541 on: April 02, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »

I'm pretty fascinated by the gun thing. I can tell you without even knowing her that her training sucks and won't much help if she needs to use the gun. If you look at police shootings, even in good departments, most of them are fuck-ups. Even though they go through extensive training and are usually required to re-qualify with their weapons every year, cops still screw the pooch if they get in an actual shootout or dangerous situation. They fire wildly, they kill and wound innocent people, they kill fellow officers, and occasionally they kill an actual miscreant, who, more often than not, committed shoplifting. (Okay, I exaggerate a bit.) The fact remains that very little gun training actually prepares people to use a gun in a dangerous situation. (I should insert here that I'm licensed for concealed carry, because I wanted to go through the process for my job, although I only actually carried for one day and never did see anyone I felt free to shoot.) But: here in the states, there's this SHTF fantasy -- the Shit Hits the Fan, when society breaks down and everybody needs a black rifle and 10,000 rounds, minimum. There are entire racks of magazines devoted to the subject, and to what you should have in your bug-out bag, and whether your combat knife should be titanium or steel, and exactly which of 400 options you should whet your knife with.

Getting to the current rush of buyers, I suspect -- no way to prove it -- that 90% of the buyers already have a gun, and, most likely, several guns. It's a way of thinking. It may be nuts, but there it is.

Aw geez, I take it back, golf was better.
--
Robert

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #542 on: April 02, 2020, 01:58:52 pm »

If you want some masks, you might need to contact NFL teams, https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/nation/kraft-family-used-patriots-team-plane-shuttle-protective-masks-china-boston-wsj-reports/
. Maybe they'll brand them with team logos.

You know, maybe that's not so crazy. Designer masks, team masks, MAGA masks, goofy masks with tubes leading up to a beer can in a hat...

I apologize, going stir crazy. But in the past, whenever I've come up with lame crazy-ass idea, there was already a web site about it with a fan club and swag for sale. What I'm saying, I'm usually the last one to think of something.
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #543 on: April 02, 2020, 02:07:47 pm »

If you want some masks, you might need to contact NFL teams, https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/02/nation/kraft-family-used-patriots-team-plane-shuttle-protective-masks-china-boston-wsj-reports/
. Maybe they'll brand them with team logos.

You know, maybe that's not so crazy. Designer masks, team masks, MAGA masks, goofy masks with tubes leading up to a beer can in a hat...

I apologize, going stir crazy. But in the past, whenever I've come up with lame crazy-ass idea, there was already a web site about it with a fan club and swag for sale. What I'm saying, I'm usually the last one to think of something.

I got my marketing swag idea for the year!
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #544 on: April 02, 2020, 02:10:57 pm »

I got my marketing swag idea for the year!

Noooo, don't listen to me! I still can't understand why people want so many cell phones.
--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #545 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:23 pm »

Noooo, don't listen to me! I still can't understand why people want so many cell phones.

But just think of how well it would work. 

A logo with a website underneath printed right where you look when talking to someone. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #546 on: April 02, 2020, 02:26:52 pm »

I think Trump's poll numbers are about to get another boost.

Pelosi creates new House committee with subpoena power for coronavirus oversight

hogloff

« Reply #547 on: April 02, 2020, 02:51:11 pm »

Pelosi creates new House committee with subpoena power for coronavirus oversight

Yeh why not. 100,000 dead and its a victory. If he can convince the sheep of this, well there's no stopping him.

John Camp

« Reply #548 on: April 02, 2020, 02:54:51 pm »

Let me tell you what's going to happen here, speaking as a cynic (a liberal cynic, but still.) Somewhere, in the vast archives of a $2 trillion bail-out, some company will get money it doesn't deserve -- like a Mafia owned company or something. The committee will discover this, and it will be hung around Trump's neck like a dead skunk, whether or not he even knew about it. This is politics, in the Plague Year.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #549 on: April 02, 2020, 03:00:38 pm »

Let me tell you what's going to happen here, speaking as a cynic (a liberal cynic, but still.) Somewhere, in the vast archives of a $2 trillion bail-out, some company will get money it doesn't deserve -- like a Mafia owned company or something. The committee will discover this, and it will be hung around Trump's neck like a dead skunk, whether or not he even knew about it. This is politics, in the Plague Year.

I dont doubt that is what they will be looking for. 

However, what I see happening is that this political committee will make it harder and more complicated to get relief out the door.  This will be brought to light by Trump and hung around the Dems' necks like a dead skunk.  Then, just like when you have two speakers too close to each other, it will cancel each other out. 

After Pelosi held up the relief bill for over a week for her liberal wish list, which still got the musicians at the Kennedy Center fired, I just dont see how this is a good idea. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:06:13 pm by JoeKitchen »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #550 on: April 02, 2020, 03:02:39 pm »

Slobodan, I live in a country where the demographics are pretty much the opposite of the States and I'm sure I don't need to explain the recent racial history of South Africa to anyone.. and yet, the last thought that would have come to my mind would be to go out and buy a gun. Not one person I know has even mentioned the idea....

I am sure the last thought of the white farmers murdered by the black mob was a bit different.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #551 on: April 02, 2020, 03:33:52 pm »

Trump castigates Obama for playing golf.
I never castigated Obama for playing golf or for going to Hawaii except when others complain about Trump.  All presidents deserve time off and a way to relax.  They come from different parts of the country and deserve to go home.  That costs money and we the public have agreed to pay for it for all of them.  Secret Service costs are huge what with Air Force 1's, security etc. We've been through assassinations with Kennedy and attempted assassination with Reagan and before with Lincoln,and a couple of others. President conduct our country's business while playing golf as well.  Trump's played with Japan's Abe and lots of others.  He's gotten together with other politicians from both parties.  Often, good things can get done while playing which is why so many business executive do it as well. It's a great place to get deals done. It serves the country's interest.  It may keep presidents healthy as well.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #552 on: April 02, 2020, 03:36:36 pm »

I was a serious golfer for quite a while and I think your question could actually be extended to "Why would you play anything with a ball of any shape?" If you can find a reason for one of them, you have a reason for all. I played several ball sports (base-, basket- and foot-) and none were as compelling as golf. With golf, you rely on nobody but yourself; there are no excuses (the other guy played bad.) And odd as it seems, a golf ball always does what you fear, and it's interesting to find out how deeply and easily you fear.

Kind of like photography.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #553 on: April 02, 2020, 03:39:17 pm »

I'm pretty fascinated by the gun thing. I can tell you without even knowing her that her training sucks and won't much help if she needs to use the gun. If you look at police shootings, even in good departments, most of them are fuck-ups. Even though they go through extensive training and are usually required to re-qualify with their weapons every year, cops still screw the pooch if they get in an actual shootout or dangerous situation. They fire wildly, they kill and wound innocent people, they kill fellow officers, and occasionally they kill an actual miscreant, who, more often than not, committed shoplifting. (Okay, I exaggerate a bit.) The fact remains that very little gun training actually prepares people to use a gun in a dangerous situation. (I should insert here that I'm licensed for concealed carry, because I wanted to go through the process for my job, although I only actually carried for one day and never did see anyone I felt free to shoot.) But: here in the states, there's this SHTF fantasy -- the Shit Hits the Fan, when society breaks down and everybody needs a black rifle and 10,000 rounds, minimum. There are entire racks of magazines devoted to the subject, and to what you should have in your bug-out bag, and whether your combat knife should be titanium or steel, and exactly which of 400 options you should whet your knife with.

Getting to the current rush of buyers, I suspect -- no way to prove it -- that 90% of the buyers already have a gun, and, most likely, several guns. It's a way of thinking. It may be nuts, but there it is. 
I don't own a gun.  But my wife told me if I bring one home she'd shoot me with it.   :o

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #554 on: April 02, 2020, 03:44:06 pm »

Congress is going to get a black eye too for not doing their homework and reading the damn thing.  They passed a bill that's going to create worse economic conditions plus a lot of fraud.  But wait, they're working on phase two. More trillions to save us.  Pelosi and TRump together want to spend two trillion on infrastructure for the economy.  Why bother?  By the time they get through there won;t be an economy. 

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #555 on: April 02, 2020, 03:47:30 pm »

I am sure the last thought of the white farmers murdered by the black mob was a bit different.

It is true that we live in a violent country, but the very vast majority of that violence is so-called "black on black" violence.. I fear you got your information from Tucker Carlson who was conned into doing a piece on this topic but our version of your right-wing nut-jobs....which your President then tweeted about.

Farmers certainly have been targeted because they are isolated, not because they are white, black farm-workers are also killed....

I repeat, despite this, I don't feel the need to own a firearm.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

JoeKitchen

« Reply #556 on: April 02, 2020, 04:01:26 pm »

Congress is going to get a black eye too for not doing their homework and reading the damn thing.  They passed a bill that's going to create worse economic conditions plus a lot of fraud.  But wait, they're working on phase two. More trillions to save us.  Pelosi and TRump together want to spend two trillion on infrastructure for the economy.  Why bother?  By the time they get through there won;t be an economy.

I think it is more likely she will shoot herself in the foot, again. 

The idea that she is some kind of great politician has been completely destroyed in the last two years.  Judging by the track record, this will more then likely just help Trump with his approval numbers.  The Mueller Report and Impeachment both did; why would you expect this to be any different. 

hogloff

« Reply #557 on: April 02, 2020, 04:37:09 pm »

About the same as the black man hung by the white mob wearing hoods over their heads.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #558 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:53 pm »

I have read only a part of this thread but I am surprised by the lack of deeper questioning of the deeply rooted mindsets of the Trump industry and, more broadly speaking, the right winged Republicans/religious groups.

But what has happened in the last month with the corona is just an accelerated version of what’s going to happen on broader subjects such as climate change or the removal of democratic control in the US.

The core issue is a refusal of facts and truth in favor of a romanticized version based on wishful thinking, lack of empathy and selfishness.

Trump and his supporters ignored all the scientific data brought to them and was attempting to align facts with his wicked theoretical views of the world. The reality came back to bite him big time confirming that science was right, that the focus on economy kills, that those actually suffering are the poor elderly people... yes the core Trump electorate.

And guess what, the exact same thing is going to happen for climate change and the slow but clear undemocratization of the US.

As a final comment, watching Fox news litterally kills these days. Stop watching it for your own good. It’s time to head back towards reality and away from dreamland.

Cheers,
Bernard

JoeKitchen

« Reply #559 on: April 02, 2020, 05:17:54 pm »

I have read only a part of this thread but I am surprised by the lack of deeper questioning of the deeply rooted mindsets of the Trump industry and, more broadly speaking, the right winged Republicans/religious groups.

But what has happened in the last month with the corona is just an accelerated version of what’s going to happen on broader subjects such as climate change or the removal of democratic control in the US.

The core issue is a refusal of facts and truth in favor of a romanticized version based on wishful thinking, lack of empathy and selfishness.

Trump and his supporters ignored all the scientific data brought to them and was attempting to align facts with his wicked theoretical views of the world. The reality came back to bite him big time confirming that science was right, that the focus on economy kills, that those actually suffering are the poor elderly people... yes the core Trump electorate.

And guess what, the exact same thing is going to happen for climate change and the slow but clear undemocratization of the US.

As a final comment, watching Fox news litterally kills these days. Stop watching it for your own good. It’s time to head back towards reality and away from dreamland.

Cheers,
Bernard

LOL Bernard, singing the same old song.  It's all Trump's fault.  Do you ever get any new material? 

Fact is, everyone was caught by surprise by this, every single person with the exception of (in my country) Tom Cotton and the governor of CT.  Tom Cotton, a republican, actually held a Senate meeting on the virus and its potential effect in the beginning of January and only republicans showed up, albeit not all of them.  All the dems accused him of trying to divert attention away from impeachment. 

But even outside the USA, there is not one country in the West that foresaw this prior to Italy making it blatantly obvious. 

So there is plenty of blame to go around on both sides. 

And if this scientific data was really all over the place back in February, please send me the articles.  Vox (left wing new site), the NYTs, Washington Post and every other news media all down played this up until March.  No one was calling for any serious actions anywhere; De Blasio was telling New Yorkers to continue living their lives as normal. 

The real reason for this screw up is China. 

All western models that were developed on this virus were based on the data coming out of China, which was purposely inaccurate.  Dr. Deborah Birx even commented on this during a recent press briefing.  It was this deceiving data, from both China and WHO (of which the Japanese PM just said WHO should be renamed the Chinese Health Organization) that lead many to have false models and not take it seriously enough.  I believe Birx said the data made it look more like SARs, which did not have a high transmission rate and why it was not originally taken seriously. 

I might add that both Birx and Fauci are not politicians and can not be fired by Trump, so they have no reason to fluff up the story for Trump. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:25:03 pm by JoeKitchen »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60   Go Up