Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111683 times)

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1640 on: February 15, 2020, 01:07:25 pm »

Ah, were it but to fulfil my choices!

Unfortunately, it's not my choices at all but survival of which I write. Does your sense of "freedom" also condone doing nothing to save humanity? If it does, you must have more than a touch of the misanthrope lurking somewhere within you mind. There is a touch of it in mine, too, but not to the point of wishing us all extinction.

I find it difficult to understand that anyone would think personal freedom to sit back and let the world go to hell because of not wanting to do anything to prevent that on principle makes any kind of sense. I don't think I drank of the kool-aid: I don't think you left any!

But it IS your choice, as you have stated repeatedly. You also choose to BELIEVE that this is about survival.  No worries, you can believe as you choose.  I can choose to belive otherwise.  But to demand...even suggest I ( or we ) must abide by YOUR choice is simply wrong.

You assume I and others in the US are doing nothing.  That is not the case, but as it stands its mostly by individual or corporate choice. Which is as it should be. 
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1641 on: February 15, 2020, 01:12:48 pm »

If I remember correctly, everlasting life, if God deems you worthy. Otherwise, you burn in hell for eternity. Sort of a carrot and stick approach.

Basically, yes.  OK, so why would you expect a loving God to eliminate poverty or Global Warming? 

Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

« Reply #1642 on: February 15, 2020, 01:25:41 pm »

But it IS your choice, as you have stated repeatedly. You also choose to BELIEVE that this is about survival.  No worries, you can believe as you choose.  I can choose to belive otherwise.  But to demand...even suggest I ( or we ) must abide by YOUR choice is simply wrong.
That's part of the deal when you live in a society, in this cases a democracy. The majority decides...roughly. I don't like driving on the right side of the street. Tough cookies. I don't agree with every expenditure in the federal budget. Guess what? I don't have the choice to direct my taxes only towards expenditures I approve of. Living in a society has costs and benefits.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1643 on: February 15, 2020, 01:52:56 pm »

That's part of the deal when you live in a society, in this cases a democracy. The majority decides...roughly. I don't like driving on the right side of the street. Tough cookies. I don't agree with every expenditure in the federal budget. Guess what? I don't have the choice to direct my taxes only towards expenditures I approve of. Living in a society has costs and benefits.

Your choice in this case it to live where you live and vote or those who support your views.  The consequence of your choice is you live live with the outcome, or you move.

But yes there are costs and benefits.  You choose to accept them.
Craig Lamson Photo

faberryman

« Reply #1644 on: February 15, 2020, 02:12:24 pm »

Your choice in this case it to live where you live and vote or those who support your views.  The consequence of your choice is you live live with the outcome, or you move. But yes there are costs and benefits.  You choose to accept them.
Including the collective judgment about what to do about climate change.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1645 on: February 15, 2020, 02:58:39 pm »

Including the collective judgment about what to do about climate change.

Yes thats a choice as well.  If its OUR  (as a country) judgement.
Craig Lamson Photo

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1646 on: February 15, 2020, 03:06:35 pm »

Some progress is made

https://www.iea.org/articles/global-co2-emissions-in-2019

Global energy-related CO2 emissions flattened in 2019 at around 33 gigatonnes (Gt), following two years of increases. This resulted mainly from a sharp decline in CO2 emissions from the power sector in advanced economies1, thanks to the expanding role of renewable sources (mainly wind and solar PV), fuel switching from coal to natural gas, and higher nuclear power output.

Germany is at the level of 1950 !
Germany spearheaded the decline in emissions in the European Union. Its emissions fell by 8% to 620 Mt of CO2, a level not seen since the 1950s, when the German economy was around 10 times smaller. The country’s coal-fired power fleet saw a drop in output of more than 25% year on year as electricity demand declined and generation from renewables, especially wind (+11%), increased. With a share of over 40%, renewables for the very first time generated more electricity in 2019 than Germany’s coal-fired power stations.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1647 on: February 15, 2020, 03:19:49 pm »

Some progress is made

https://www.iea.org/articles/global-co2-emissions-in-2019

Global energy-related CO2 emissions flattened in 2019 at around 33 gigatonnes (Gt), following two years of increases. This resulted mainly from a sharp decline in CO2 emissions from the power sector in advanced economies1, thanks to the expanding role of renewable sources (mainly wind and solar PV), fuel switching from coal to natural gas, and higher nuclear power output.

Germany is at the level of 1950 !

That graph really drives home the point that unless the non advanced countries are part of the solution its pretty much a feel good exercise.   So where again are China and India onthe advanced/non advanced scale?   And why again should the US lifestlye be trashed so folks like China can keep on keeping on?
Craig Lamson Photo

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1648 on: February 15, 2020, 03:28:28 pm »

That graph really drives home the point that unless the non advanced countries are part of the solution its pretty much a feel good exercise.   So where again are China and India onthe advanced/non advanced scale?   And why again should the US lifestlye be trashed so folks like China can keep on keeping on?

Then it is for you that i have provided the link...
and it is not wise to compare your country with the one that has done worse - there will always be some.

and

And why again should the US respect human rights so folks like China can keep on keeping on?    makes as much sense as you instance...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1649 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:30 pm »

Then it is for you that i have provided the link...
and it is not wise to compare your country with the one that has done worse - there will always be some.

and

And why again should the US respect human rights so folks like China can keep on keeping on?    makes as much sense as you instance...

Those are the facts you presented.  If you don't like what they say its really not my problem.
Craig Lamson Photo

Rob C

« Reply #1650 on: February 16, 2020, 03:50:27 am »

Those are the facts you presented.  If you don't like what they say its really not my problem.

In that you have encapsulated your entire approach to this subject: you don't give a damn either way. Survive or perish, as long as you are not called upon to do anything - cool.

I hope your "freedom of choice of doing nothing" makes your conscience sweet when you look at the kids around you.

That's it for me - I can't show the wider picture to someone who won't look.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #1651 on: February 16, 2020, 04:00:42 am »

He is just punishing us for communists ;)

I note the smiley, but hey, Christ was one of the original communists of this world. Read Him up. It's the part many in the States don't figure on Sunday mornings.

;-)

Craig Lamson

« Reply #1652 on: February 16, 2020, 04:29:23 am »

In that you have encapsulated your entire approach to this subject: you don't give a damn either way. Survive or perish, as long as you are not called upon to do anything - cool.

I hope your "freedom of choice of doing nothing" makes your conscience sweet when you look at the kids around you.

That's it for me - I can't show the wider picture to someone who won't look.

Rob

You really didn't read what I have written have you.  I don't espouse doing nothing at all.  In fact I have zero problems with changes that reduce carbon load.  I try and do my part in the ways I can and make sense for me.  I have all high efficiency Appliances, HVAC and water heating.  My home is heavily insulated and has great windows.  We use all led bulbs.  While i have zero problems with E cars, they simply dont make sense for my driving habits or from a cost standpoint. but more power to those who find then useful.  Not only are these some things I CAN do they make financial sense. The market works. 

What we don't need is governments or world bodies telling us what we MUST do.  As a whole the markets ARE working in the US.  Carbon loads are dropping.  Conversions to cleaner sources are happening.  And it can be done without taking a wrecking ball to everything.

Unlike you I don't believe chucking everything in a mad rush to try and "fix" something is the correct solution.  But hey if it floats your boat, by all means keep rowing.  Just don't demand I row with you.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:26:14 am by Craig Lamson »
Craig Lamson Photo

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1653 on: February 16, 2020, 08:15:15 am »

...Christ was one of the original communists of this world...

A final proof that you crossed to the dark side ;)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1654 on: February 16, 2020, 08:34:44 am »

I note the smiley, but hey, Christ was one of the original communists of this world. Read Him up. It's the part many in the States don't figure on Sunday mornings.
;-)

Often these movements start very open, naive and true, but end up as some kind of male religious dictatorship with some pope at the top...
(I have heard saying ; if men really want to impress they put on a dress)

I have seen the original burning bush now fully recovered near the St. Catherine’s Monastery in the Sinai desert.
When you see these early Christian paintings hanging inside, they give you a sense of a young naive still undeveloped movement.
The view from the top of mount Horeb is an ideal place to see a beautiful sunrise over the desert.

on topic
the weather conditions on mount Sinai are good; about 24ÂșC, not extreme
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1655 on: February 16, 2020, 08:34:55 am »

Quote from: Rob C on Today at 04:00:42 am

A final proof that you crossed to the dark side ;)

President Fidel Castro of Cuba has said Christ was a communist. "Christ chose the fishermen because he was a communist"
Raul Castro, second-in-command in the ruling Communist Party headed by his brother, concurred: "I think that's why they killed Jesus, for being a communist, for doing what Fidel defined as revolution . . . changing the situation."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/christ-was-a-communist-says-castro-1.292935

And Kris Kristofferson thinks that Jesus was a Capricorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFRunqwHEc
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:43:42 am by LesPalenik »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1656 on: February 16, 2020, 08:52:45 am »

... President Fidel Castro of Cuba has said Christ was a communist...

I rest my case.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1657 on: February 16, 2020, 10:24:53 am »

Quote from: Rob C on Today at 04:00:42 am

President Fidel Castro of Cuba has said Christ was a communist. "Christ chose the fishermen because he was a communist"
Raul Castro, second-in-command in the ruling Communist Party headed by his brother, concurred: "I think that's why they killed Jesus, for being a communist, for doing what Fidel defined as revolution . . . changing the situation."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/christ-was-a-communist-says-castro-1.292935

And Kris Kristofferson thinks that Jesus was a Capricorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekFRunqwHEc
The Castros are just defending their dictatorial rule.  Charity and spirituality are not about sticking a gun up to someone';s head demanding they give.  It's about personal responsibility and commitment. 

Rob C

« Reply #1658 on: February 16, 2020, 11:58:57 am »

I rest my case.

Trouble is, Christ's form of communism isn't what communism is today. Communism, as she is known today, didn't even exist until many, many centuries later. As usual, Man goes off topic and corrupts everything he touches. So every now and then we have to have a great flushing away.

The way we're burning up forests, perhaps there won't be timber enough for a second ark, but never mind, some bright guy will make one out of plastic. There you are: a project for all that money over their safe fifty million that those friendly rich persons can use in the furtherance of a good cause! A far better idea than creating more factories manufacturing more junk nobody needs. And certainly more worthwhile than silly rockets to the Moon or Mars: there's junk up there enough already! Even tossed cameras.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #1659 on: February 16, 2020, 01:22:42 pm »

https://www.france24.com/en/live

If this link holds stready, it is an interesting insight into US taxation.

Nope, it didn't hold the subject matter, just went on to continue broadcasting as a straight link.

Sorry. However, it probably will repeat in an hour or so.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 01:31:36 pm by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 114   Go Up