Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111462 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Extreme weather
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:59 pm »

46C in France, 39C in Germany, Autobahn disintegrating, heat records being broken across Europe from Spain to Poland, and 150cm of hail in Guadalajara  in Mexico.
And there are still people who don't accept the climate changes.

In Germany, they wouldn't cancel or postpone the Ironman race. The top athletes were competing in 38C (100F) tempratures in a grueling race, taking overv nine hours.

Two-time U.S. Olympian Sarah True collapsed while leading in the last 100-degree mile of the Ironman European Championship in Frankfurt, Germany, on Sunday. True, who said she had a seven-minute lead, was carried off the course by four people after nine hours of racing. She later said she could not remember the last two miles of the 140.6-mile competition (2.4-mile swim followed by a 112-mile bike and a marathon) and that the temperature was 38 degrees Celsius (100 Fahrenheit).

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/01/sarah-true-ironman-collapse/

A freak hailstorm on Sunday struck Guadalajara, one of Mexico's most populous cities, shocking residents and trapping vehicles in a deluge of ice pellets up to two yards deep.

more photos and article about the ice storm:
https://news.yahoo.com/photos-freak-hail-storm-hits-guadalajara-mexico-131844700.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:27 pm »

... And there are still people who don't accept the climate changes...

Nobody denies that climate changes. It's been changing for billions of years.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:25:45 pm »

Quite right! But this time, the changes are caused by man. Actually, by almost 8 million humans.
Not counting 1.5 billion cows, 2 billion pigs, and 19 billion chickens. That's over 60 billion gas producing orifices and who knows how much CO2 and methane.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:56:39 pm by LesPalenik »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:07:23 pm »

The "Record Temperature" near Paris was apparently measured between a highway and a bunch of greenhouses...the "urban heat island" effect used for effect...

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/06/29/frances-new-hottest-recorded-temperature-ever-is-in-question-guess-where-it-was-measured/

Scrolling down the page, it also may not be a record high despite the anomaly of the siting of the weather station.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:10:32 pm by langier »
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »

un record est un record or as French say une record temperature

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:12 pm »

In the meantime, Miami is enjoying the same balmy weather as every year. No records here. So, where is the “global” part ?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:58:36 pm »

Miami is indeed a special place. Let's enjoy it while we can.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 11:52:29 pm »

46C in France, 39C in Germany, Autobahn disintegrating, heat records being broken across Europe from Spain to Poland, and 150cm of hail in Guadalajara  in Mexico.

In Germany, they wouldn't cancel or postpone the Ironman race. The top athletes were competing in 38C (100F) tempratures in a grueling race, taking overv nine hours.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/01/sarah-true-ironman-collapse/

more photos and article about the ice storm:
https://news.yahoo.com/photos-freak-hail-storm-hits-guadalajara-mexico-131844700.html

Funny you should bring up Germany.  They have been going full retard on wind/solar, while decreasing their nuclear, and their carbon emissions have only being increasing, or , best case, flat lining while having energy prices skyrocket.  Meanwhile France, 96+% of electricity from nuclear, has seen their emissions go down with electricity prices a 1/3 of Germany's.

So here is an idea, why dont we actually get on a winning team, and start supporting nuclear and stop our fairy tale addiction of wind/solar. 

Wow, wind and solar, it's almost like, the natural problems that exist with them, like, cant be, like, over come since they are natural and inherent to the energy source, like, no matter what we do, like, we will always deal with the intermittency and dilutantancy issues with, like, wind and solar to the point of it costing us a shit ton of money.   ???

Also, please explain to us how the freak hail storm in Mexico has anything to do with climate change.  Hail storms have been going on forever in the summer, and just because one happens to strike means nothing insofar as climate change.  It's like the wild fires in CA; they have nothing to do with climate change and are almost certainly the result of the Smokey Bear Effect. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:03:29 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 12:02:41 am »

The sources of pollution and their consequences don't necessarily align.
In seventies and eighties many lakes in Northern Ontario were seriously acidified and pretty much dead - devoid of any organic life, such as plants or fish. Between 50% and 70% of Canada's acid rain came from the United States, while only 2-10% of America's pollution in this area came from Canada. Fortunately, by now after new protective legislations, most lakes in the Sudbury region have recovered, which is also a proof, that the problems were caused and can be fixed by man.

"Compared to some other environmental problems, we caught the worst of it in time," Smol explained, "and we had significant legislation, especially in the early 1990s, that really made a big difference in acid rain. That's one of the reasons we don't hear about it as much these days."

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/acid-rain-the-sort-of-environmental-success-story/44801

Joe, instead of repeating the same stuff over and over, you should read my posts more carefully. As to the nuclear energy, I have mentioned in one of my previous posts that Ontario utilizes mainly nuclear and hydroelectric generation plants, and a small percentage of electricity comes from wind and solar. Quebec, the second most populous province in Canada, produces close to 96% of its electricity through hydropower. Newfoundland and British Columbia use also primarily hydroelectric plants. Coal-fired generation plants are still used to some extent in other Canadian provinces. 

I've seen quite a few hail storms, but never even heard of one which deposited 5 feet of ice. Extreme in every way. As to the explanation of the Guadalajara hail storm, I'm not a meteorologist, but have you heard about the Butterfly Effect? A butterfly flapping its wings somewhere over the Pacific Ocean can cause a hurricane in Florida. It may take a very long time, but the connection is real. If the butterfly had not flapped its wings at just the right point in space/time, the hurricane would not have happened.

When it comes to hail storms, it is well known that:

hail formation occurs "when strong currents of rising air, known as updrafts, carry droplets of water high enough that they freeze." The higher these droplets get, the cooler the temperature, even during a hot summer.

Recently, I read that the current weather extremes are caused by powerful air currents (stronger than before and also occurring in different patterns) and it's not difficult to add up the two facts above and understand that the new air currents and weather patterns might be causing more dangerous storms - producing also large quantities of hail or water.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:19:35 am by LesPalenik »

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 01:26:36 am »

Hold on to your hats, the Flat Earthers will be along in a minute ...

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 05:00:07 am »

The odd thing is this: almost everybody I speak with in life as against online is complaining about the heat this early in summer - which is pretty high - and of the fact that the past winter has been unusually mild; yes, cold, but compared with earlier winters, mild. (And I know this, not by being obsessed with the thermometer, but by dint of my hands not being as badly affected this winter by Raynaud's as in past years) Rainfall has been low, and this bodes ill for the water supply.

The winters here of the 80s were spectacular displays of lightning and thunder; can't remember the last time we had that kind of sustained display in recent years. I used to get robins in the garden and on the terrace each winter; I haven't seen one in the past two. Ditto lizards: each summer would see them lie in wait on the terrace walls or ceiling. Not seen one there in years, though I have seen one elsewhere on the building. By now, the evening sky would be alive with little bats doing their acrobatic displays; not so far this time around. Of course things have changed during the past few year; you'd have to live in a closed box not to notice.

As you would not to notice that parking these days in this little pair of towns (Pollensa and its Port) is almost impossible, where once there was unlimited space right in front of your destination.

Why do some here look upon big cars or tucks as being valid only in terms of the price of their fuel? What about the shit they pump out into the air? Does it make more sense to drive two tons of crap with just the driver inside, or something that weighs less than half that? As I asked before, where do folks think those escaped gasses go? The bits that separate out and become heavier than air fall back down, but the gasses lighter than air can't, and they stop right where they have the same weight as the much thinner air around them at that altitude, and so on outwards. They can't fall back down and be "treated". They cause the layers that trap heat. And somebody thinks that adding and adding to that, which is what man is doing, makes no difference, that it would happen anyway? What would happen anyway does; but we add a helluva lot to that. And what we add are perhaps the bits that become trapped above our heads. For ever. Those can't be washed back down by rain. They are above it.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 07:55:12 am »

I feel I need to apologize for my remarks.  They were a little abrasive here.  I get frustrated with the whole carbon emissions issue and feel nothing is really being done.  Wind and solar is a rabbit whole not slowing emissions and the fact that nuclear is not being given more credence is annoying. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:37:35 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 08:06:24 am »

Absolutely, Les. As Chicken Little said, "The sky is falling." I think we should all run for it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 08:08:20 am »

Hold on to your hats, the Flat Earthers will be along in a minute ...

Indeed. They will be revealing the global conspiracy by evil scientists to con us into believing that global heating is occurring, in the hope that we'll make them rich by switching to renewable forms of energy, reducing deforestation & increasing tree planting, all to make the Earth more habitable by lizard-alien Overlords of the New World Order. We can only be saved by politicians who get lots of funding from oil companies - our heroes <swoon>

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 08:17:06 am »

Indeed. They will be revealing the global conspiracy by evil scientists to con us into believing that global heating is occurring, in the hope that we'll make them rich by switching to renewable forms of energy, reducing deforestation & increasing tree planting, all to make the Earth more habitable by lizard-alien Overlords of the New World Order. We can only be saved by politicians who get lots of funding from oil companies - our heroes <swoon>

Hey, why neglect the gun lobby? Swoon, gulp, the end.

:-)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 09:09:38 am »

Absolutely, Les. As Chicken Little said, "The sky is falling." I think we should all run for it.

Russ, it wasn't the sky, it was just a lot of ice.
In case of sky falling, the big sky chunks will fall just behind the earth edge. However, in case of ice balls, they could hit your house. I sincerely hope they won't.
Where I am, it's improbable that we will see any hail, since the air and water temperatures are unusually cold this summer. Could be caused by those new pesky air currents.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 10:45:14 am »

Temperatures in Alaska are supposed to set records over the next couple of days. 

RSL

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 10:53:13 am »

That'll be nice for Alaska.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 10:54:32 am »

But uncomfortably hot for grizzlies.

RSL

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 10:57:44 am »

Well, it might be uncomfortable for the rapidly multiplying polar bears, but grizzlies also live a lot farther south -- say in Colorado for instance as I remember. They'll be okay. They're probably stretched out on rocks right now going "Ahhhhhhhh....."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 114   Go Up