Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111584 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 11:07:11 am »

... more photos and article about the ice storm:
https://news.yahoo.com/photos-freak-hail-storm-hits-guadalajara-mexico-131844700.html

What I am going to say is not related to global warming. Nor I claim a conspiracy or photoshopping. I am genuinely puzzled.

Looking at the photos, I wonder:

1. How is it possible that no windshield or car roof appears damaged? Really small hail? And yet huge chunks of ice on the ground. Smail hail melted to form huge chunks?

2. No ice on the bushes or house roofs

3. No ice further away from the main street. Steep side streets, sloping toward the main street? Don't look that way on the photograph, but possible.

4. Not a single video of the hail actually falling? In a city of 5 million people?

To me, the way it entered the city street, it looks like a mudslide or flash flood from the neighboring hills (except it was ice, not mud or rain). The position of the cars in the middle of the street also suggest something like flash flood. The city is at a 5000-feet altitude, btw, and used to hail storms, just not this freakish.

In any case, freakishly unusual.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 11:17:29 am »

Then again, it isn't so unheard of in Colorado, for instance, though you can clearly see hail damage to cars:

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 11:21:55 am »

Impossible to say. All of my cars in Spain have suffered hail damage but never (thank God) broken glass.

The first shots look like white flooding of something thickly creamy, but the last one shows some residual white on roofs, as well as collapsed, cheap roofing. Now, if the hail happened suddenly, followed by sunshine, small areas would melt more quickly than large; five feet deep makes sense if you think of it as in streets, where roofs have emptied onto them, but that depends on whether or not the place uses flat roofing or pitched.

Odd event. Or more of what Alan would almost certainly define as fake news. Perhaps it is all fake story, and there was a drain blockage at the central laundry. Or nightclub.

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 11:35:20 am »

...  collapsed, cheap roofing. ..flat roofing or pitched...

In places like those, collapsed roofing has been there for a while most likely, and not from snow. Most roofs are flat in the pictures.

It looks like the freakish height of the accumulated melted hail is more a result of the terrain configuration, leading to a concentration in the lower main street, than the sheer amount of hail. Which would make the event less freakish, as the Colorado pictures, where it is more or less a regular occurance, confirm.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 11:41:15 am »

Looks like hail to me. Small hail.  We get a lot of hail. Almost weekly in summer months when we get our rainfall. Hail can be really localized.  One street gets blitzed and another nothing. Hail is almost always associated with massive rainfalls. I mean like a cloudburst. That results in hail being washed into concentrated areas once on the ground. I have seen hail as big as golf balls several times in my life. Car windows brake with that type of hail but not the little stuff no matter how thick that falls. It’s very slippery to drive on.

I have built hail men on a few occasions with very heavy hail but I have never seen anything like in these photos.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 05:42:53 pm »

Despite the hail storm in Quadalajara, Mexico,  June 2019 was hottest month ever recorded on Earth.

Global readings taken by the EU-ran Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S) showed European temperatures were around 2 deg C hotter than normal, and globally Earth was 0.1 deg C hotter than the previous June record.

The heatwave last week smashed national records for the hottest single day as scorching weather spread across Europe from the Sahara.

It was so intense that temperatures were as much as 10 deg C higher than normal across France, Germany, northern Spain and Italy.

https://www.thedailystar.net/world/news/june-was-hottest-month-ever-recorded-earth-eu-satellite-agency-1765669

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2019, 11:25:48 am »

Hold on to your hats, the Flat Earthers will be along in a minute ...

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2019, 11:58:02 am »

Speaking about Flat Earthers:

Recently, Twitter user @NotaCelebirty asked the Flat Earth Society if members believe in climate change.

“Certainly,” the society replied, in a post that’s caught the attention of Reddit users in recent days. “It would be nothing short of irresponsible to question something with so much overwhelming evidence behind it, and something that threatens us so directly as a species.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2018/09/07/the-flat-earth-society-weighs-climate-change/pyRLW25ksFUvzsxQ5iDuHO/story.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2019, 01:00:14 pm »

Global warming causing yet another fire.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jim-beam-bourbon-fire-kentucky-warehouse-destroys-45-000-barrels-n1026236

And here I was, hoping to put all that ice from Mexico to a good use ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2019, 01:21:55 pm »

That's a serious loss, 45,000 barrels of whiskey. They could have it used it as a biofuel instead.

Little bit further north, a different crisis hit makers of iceberg vodka. Somebody stole their melted iceberg water.

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. -- The remarkable theft of about 30,000 litres of iceberg water from a vodka company warehouse in Newfoundland has bewildered the firm's owners.

Iceberg Vodka CEO David Meyers said he and his staff were shocked on Monday morning to discover one of 10 tanks of water in the company's Port Union, N.L., warehouse had been drained of its precious contents. Police are now investigating a theft valued between $9,000 and $12,000.

But there are still plenty of icebergs around.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/local/busy-iceberg-season-expected-this-year-in-newfoundland-and-labrador-306152/

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/they-re-everywhere-you-look-iceberg-spotters-flock-to-newfoundland-1.4432043

JoeKitchen

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2019, 01:44:32 pm »

Thank God it was whiskey and vodka, both horrible spirits.  I'll raise a glass of rum to that! 

Now we just need a good gin fire too. 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:14:23 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2019, 06:09:04 pm »

Funny you should bring up Germany.  They have been going full retard on wind/solar, while decreasing their nuclear, and their carbon emissions have only being increasing, or , best case, flat lining while having energy prices skyrocket.  Meanwhile France, 96+% of electricity from nuclear, has seen their emissions go down with electricity prices a 1/3 of Germany's.

So here is an idea, why dont we actually get on a winning team, and start supporting nuclear and stop our fairy tale addiction of wind/solar. 

Wow, wind and solar, it's almost like, the natural problems that exist with them, like, cant be, like, over come since they are natural and inherent to the energy source, like, no matter what we do, like, we will always deal with the intermittency and dilutantancy issues with, like, wind and solar to the point of it costing us a shit ton of money.   ???

Also, please explain to us how the freak hail storm in Mexico has anything to do with climate change.  Hail storms have been going on forever in the summer, and just because one happens to strike means nothing insofar as climate change.  It's like the wild fires in CA; they have nothing to do with climate change and are almost certainly the result of the Smokey Bear Effect. 
Joe, you been behind the times.  When there's a freak hot spell it caused by climate change.  When there's a freak cold spell it's caused by a weather pattern.  Get with it, will ya?

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 08:11:51 am »

Joe, you been behind the times.  When there's a freak hot spell it caused by climate change.  When there's a freak cold spell it's caused by a weather pattern.  Get with it, will ya?

On the charitable thought that you forgot the smiley: local weather patterns are brought about by patterns and changes across the world. You can be as greenly credentialed as you like, but if Mon Oncle Sam continues to hold hands with China and India, everybody is fucked, determinedly responsible virgins or otherwise.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 07:52:15 am »

Let's hope that New Orleans makes it through the rough storm that is coming in this weekend.  The US spent $14B to fix all the pumping stations and other flood control stuff.  this should be the first real test.

We've had really bad storms up here in the DC area as well.  On Tuesday parts of the area received four inches (10cm) of rain in one hour.  There were some pictures of people on their way to work whose cars got stuck in flood waters on some major roads.  We had another set of storms yesterday afternoon and they are really quite scary with the wind and driving rain.

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 08:03:25 am »

Let's hope that New Orleans makes it through the rough storm that is coming in this weekend.  The US spent $14B to fix all the pumping stations and other flood control stuff.  this should be the first real test.

We've had really bad storms up here in the DC area as well.  On Tuesday parts of the area received four inches (10cm) of rain in one hour.  There were some pictures of people on their way to work whose cars got stuck in flood waters on some major roads.  We had another set of storms yesterday afternoon and they are really quite scary with the wind and driving rain.

On the Louisiana radio station I listen to, they said last night that the storm was still some way off, and moving at about 3mph towards them.

Couple of days ago we had another Sahara rain experience, where it rains brown. This time, it was the worst I have ever seen. The cars outside were monochromatic, just like in a drawing on brown paper.

So yeah, over my almost forty years of seeing such events, it's got a lot more severe now.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 08:28:26 am »

Are you denying the reality of global warming or that man's activity has a dominant effect on it?

Cheers,
Bernard

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 08:30:00 am »

Are you denying the reality of global warming or that man's activity has a dominant effect on it?

No/yes.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 08:44:19 am »

Not so much in Florida, where the average temperature over the last fifty years rose only by about 1 degree (C). However, in northern Canada, the average temperatures rose by over double that rate.
Sometimes, even the small gradual changes cause big events. For example, in 2016 in Yukon, melting glacier opened a new channel and two large lakes and Slims River drained up. That has cause other changes for the natives living in that area.

The higher lake drained into the lower, directing the entire meltwater flow first east to the Kaskawulsh river, and eventually south toward the Pacific Ocean.
Wildlife has changed their routines as well. South of Burwash Landing, Sharon Kabanak stands on a parched piece of land.
“The ducks used to land here all the time. It was kind of like a duck sanctuary,” she says, “but it’s all dry now.”

http://projects.thestar.com/climate-change-canada/yukon/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 08:47:02 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

the coverage is spotty and not complete. There's an unfairness in how they report it

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 08:54:42 am »

For example, since it's warmed up, an area approximately twice the size of the United States has become green with trees and grass. 
That provide more habitat for animals and plants to expand their territory and for more farming area for men as well.  But you never read about things like this.   Warming is always negative. The fact is the earth and its inhabitants have always done better when it's warmer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 114   Go Up