Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111659 times)

MurrayFoote

Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1340 on: January 16, 2020, 05:10:44 am »

Apart from that, good soil takes a long time to generate by the cumulation of biological processes.  There won't be any good soil under the permafrost.

Rob C

« Reply #1341 on: January 16, 2020, 05:27:18 am »

It's been going on for some years, this gradual warming, and to many people's cost. They built a skiing resort up in Scotland's Grampians, and for some time it was a success story, then bit by bit the snows stopped coming well enough to make it work; there are some abandoned places up there now...

The same holds for the snow houses that used to exist in the mountains in Mallorca, used to gather ice for taking down to the towns.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1342 on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:09 am »

For our scientific friends on the forum, a couple of questions (asking for a friend):

Why  were  temperatures  rising  from  the  1800s (actually even earlier)  without   significant  increase  in  CO2  until  well into  the  20th  Century?  Why  is  warming  less  strong in  the  troposphere,  which climate  models  predict  is  where  we should mostly  see  it,  &  has  changed little  for  some  years  despite  continued  increase  in  CO2? It  appears  that  the  equilibrium  climate sensitivity (estimate  of  change  in  temp  from  doubling  of  emissions) is  less  than  previously  thought,  based on  newer  methods  based  on  data  instead  of  simulations.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1343 on: January 16, 2020, 06:33:55 am »

Apart from that, good soil takes a long time to generate by the cumulation of biological processes.  There won't be any good soil under the permafrost.
+1
and then the permafrost is very deep- sometimes more than a hundred meter deep. Only the top is melting and turning into a swamp - this soil has no structure at all.
The houses in Siberia are 'detached' from the permafrost soil especially to keep it frozen.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 06:48:01 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1344 on: January 16, 2020, 07:03:34 am »

... The greatest benefactors of warmest weather in the northern hemisphere are all kinds of insects. Personally, I saw in Ontario a great increase in japanese beetles, mosquitoes, and ticks....

Yes, it is important to know your ticks:

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1345 on: January 16, 2020, 07:17:02 am »

Most definitely, there has been a significant increase of both, ticks and lunatics.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:34:24 am by LesPalenik »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1346 on: January 16, 2020, 07:45:36 am »

McKinsey released results of a new study on climate change, which is seen is no longer only as an environmental problem, but increasingly as a serious economic threat.
If nothing happens, climate change could “endanger hundreds of millions of lives, trillions of dollars in economic power, and the physical and natural capital of the world.”

• For example, they suffer Tourism and food production in the Mediterranean, if in 2050 the climatic conditions in Marseille resemble those of Algiers today. The drought period in the Mediterranean region then extends over an average of more than six months a year. The risk of crop failures is increasing worldwide. Additional storage is required to compensate for this, the report estimates the cost to be between five and eleven billion dollars a year.
  • The danger from Cyclones and tidal waves could expose the value Florida Real Estate by 30 percent by 2050.
  • The Warming the oceans could that fishing by eight percent by 2050 and affect the livelihoods of 650 to 800 million citizens worldwide.
  • A quarter of the Top 100 Airports is less than ten meters above sea level and, according to the study, could be exposed to “serious dangers” from high tides and storms. In addition, around 185,000 passengers a year would not be able to fly until 2050 due to the heat.

https://en24.news/2020/01/mckinsey-study-on-climate-change-results-are-devastating.html

The other certainty is that in 2050 Greta Thunberg will be 45 and most climate change deniers 100 years old (or not).

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1347 on: January 16, 2020, 08:06:31 am »

We're all doomed! DOOMED! Damn.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1348 on: January 16, 2020, 08:24:41 am »

There we agree. I didn't believe it then, don't believe it now. The world is not ending in 12 years, Miami won't be underwater in "a few years,"  the world is not on the brink of extinction, etc.

But apparently you believe that.

It's fun to watch you use the most outlandish predictions from the fringe to sidetrack sensible discussion. But it's only your credibility that suffers in the long run.

What I find more interesting is your knee-jerk dismissal of any idea that does not fit into your "lefties are loony" world view, especially since the definition of who is a "lefty loony" is completely arbitrary to begin with.

But you should be happy today. Rollbacks in water protection at the EPA are being met with cheers from various industries and especially Big Agriculture. Why should they have to participate in measures to preserve fresh water in the future? Clean water and air are "lefty loony" ideas, after all.

You're winning, why all the whining, you should be cheering. What can go wrong?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1349 on: January 16, 2020, 08:32:42 am »

Most definitely, there has been a significant increase of both, ticks and lunatics.
:)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1350 on: January 16, 2020, 08:34:10 am »

In a recent speech, Trump spoke out against using more efficient home appliances, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/15/trump-rails-against-refrigerators-promises-cleaner-dishes-milwaukee-rally?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other. I presume he's claiming that they don't work well.

Sometimes it feels as if we are in an episode of a Rod Serling program. What a pathetic spectacle this culture war is turning into. My wish is that the real world is not what we see every day on the interweb.

--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1351 on: January 16, 2020, 08:41:51 am »

It's fun to watch you use the most outlandish predictions from the fringe to sidetrack sensible discussion...

Most outlandish they are. That's to be expected from the Loonie Left.

But from the fringe? These are predictions peddled by the former Vice President of the US and a Nobel Prize winner for his work on climate; current member of the US Congress and peddler of the Green New Deal, broadly accepted by the Left and all the 2020 presidential candidates; and last, but not least, a speech from the platform of the UN by a medically-certified loonie kid.

RSL

« Reply #1352 on: January 16, 2020, 08:42:47 am »

My wish is that the real world is not what we see every day on the interweb.

Don't sweat it, Robert. It's not. Never has been. Never will be.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1353 on: January 16, 2020, 08:44:37 am »

... I presume he's claiming that they don't work well...

And he is, once again, absolutely right. Anyone who washes dishes in a dishwasher can certify that. Maybe in Canada you are luckier and do not have "environmentally-friendly" (not!) detergents.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1354 on: January 16, 2020, 08:46:10 am »

In a recent speech, Trump spoke out against using more efficient home appliances, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jan/15/trump-rails-against-refrigerators-promises-cleaner-dishes-milwaukee-rally?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other. I presume he's claiming that they don't work well.

Sometimes it feels as if we are in an episode of a Rod Serling program. What a pathetic spectacle this culture war is turning into. My wish is that the real world is not what we see every day on the interweb.

It's about government regulation interfering in your life that is often silly.  Such as requiring low flow shower heads so you can;t enjoy a brisk shower, low water flush toilets that get stuffed up or you have to flush 4 times every time you use it, bulbs that are too cold because they outlawed warm colored incandescent bulbs,. etc.  In NJ where I live now, they want to outlaw plastic straws, Bloomberg when he was mayor of NYC wanted to outlaw drink cups larger than 16 ounces, and they're also talking about outlawing plastic bags at the supermarket.  Trump is the outsider, the anti-establishmentarian.  Bernie Sanders is like him but from the left.  Biden is taking a nap. 

Ray

« Reply #1355 on: January 16, 2020, 08:48:24 am »

Maybe you do not agree that the climate change is man-made; but it is clearly happening and we have to do something about it.
Burning less carbon is a good start.

Yes. Climate change is happening. It always has and always will. That's the nature of climate.
We can argue endlessly about the contribution of anthropogenic CO2 emissions to such warming, and the contribution of deforestation and modern agriculture, which cannot be precisely quantified because of the complex, chaotic and non-linear nature of climate.

However, despite these uncertainties, it is clear that significant changes in climate have occurred in the past, with devastating consequences for civilizations in the region. A recent example is the collapse of the Khmer civilization in Cambodia during the 13th and 14th centuries, due to long periods of drought.

Does someone think that reducing CO2 levels would have prevented that Khmer civilization from collapsing?  ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1356 on: January 16, 2020, 08:56:28 am »

Yes. Climate change is happening. It always has and always will. That's the nature of climate.
We can argue endlessly about the contribution of anthropogenic CO2 emissions to such warming, and the contribution of deforestation and modern agriculture, which cannot be precisely quantified because of the complex, chaotic and non-linear nature of climate.

However, despite these uncertainties, it is clear that significant changes in climate have occurred in the past, with devastating consequences for civilizations in the region. A recent example is the collapse of the Khmer civilization in Cambodia during the 13th and 14th centuries, due to long periods of drought.

Does someone think that reducing CO2 levels would have prevented that Khmer civilization from collapsing?  ;)

Actually changing the climate to save the Khmers might be easier than changing anyone's mind here.  :)

RSL

« Reply #1357 on: January 16, 2020, 09:04:51 am »

I presume he's claiming that they don't work well.

So how do you like your "low flush" toilet, Robert? Are you convinced that since you save water every time you flush it,  flushing it three times to clear it saves a lot of water?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1358 on: January 16, 2020, 09:22:00 am »

And he is, once again, absolutely right. Anyone who washes dishes in a dishwasher can certify that. Maybe in Canada you are luckier and do not have "environmentally-friendly" (not!) detergents.

The first google find, from a loonie left-friendly source, NPR. This is an older article, but I learned about it from a recent one (can't find it right now) that had an update: that the replacement chemical is even worse for the environment.

https://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132072122/it-s-not-your-fault-your-dishes-are-still-dirty

"Dishes Still Dirty? Blame Phosphate-Free Detergent"

Is your dishwasher not working the way it used to? Earlier this year, with little fanfare, detergent makers reworked their formulas.

This was supposed to be good for waterways. But it turned a simple chore into a frustrating mystery for many people across the country.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1359 on: January 16, 2020, 09:30:47 am »

Canadians wash their laundry in the same "super-quick" machines as the Americans. When they compare European washers with the American models they complain about the longer washing times, and Europeans complain of poor washing results in American washers. As to my own experience, when washing shirts I agree with the American reviewers but when it comes to underwear I side with Europeans. Slobodan, what has been your experience?

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 114   Go Up