Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 111603 times)

James Clark

Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1380 on: January 17, 2020, 11:38:01 am »

You guys need to eat more fiber.  And apparently not get so dirty.   :o
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:45:57 am by James Clark »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1381 on: January 17, 2020, 02:07:46 pm »

This is how Florida is preparing for the global warming and rising sea levels:

Rob C

« Reply #1382 on: January 17, 2020, 02:19:10 pm »

Wise man: he already thought of the stilts!

It will turn into a pleasant houseboat, in time, but there's little guarantee the stilts have been built strongly enough to handle Atlantic tides and storms, and who knows if the electricity and water supplies have been thought ahead as brilliantly? It may be different on the Gulf coast.

Is there a chance that the poor old alligators from the swamps will be able to ape Australia's salt water variety of croc?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1383 on: January 17, 2020, 02:23:33 pm »

... Is there a chance that the poor old alligators from the swamps will be able to ape Australia's salt water variety of croc?

Already practicing:

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1384 on: January 17, 2020, 11:04:00 pm »

After Hurricane Sandy that wiped out a lot of beach front homes here on the New Jersey shore, all new home are built on stilts and many existing homes have been lifted and placed on stilts.  The bottom level is used for a garage only.  So if you;re expecting a storm, you drive the hell away to higher ground until it's over. 

It's not for rising sea levels.  If they get that high, there's really no way to live there.  It's for storm surges that will recede when the storm passes. 

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1385 on: January 17, 2020, 11:21:48 pm »

Further up the Atlantic coast, in Newfoundland, they are experiencing a record snow storm.
Epic storm with a snowfall up to 2 1/2 ft (75cm), 5 ft tall snowdrifts, 130km wind gusts, -45C (49F below) temperatures, and 30 ft high waves.

The storm, which is expected to linger until Saturday, is expected to hit Newfoundland and Labrador the hardest, with the capital of St. John’s declaring a state of emergency. The scope of the storm can be seen in a photo captured by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/newfoundland-blizzard-as-seen-from-space-1.4772687

Only 20cm (8") expected for Toronto.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1386 on: January 17, 2020, 11:34:37 pm »

I think I'll take my sun tan lotion and pina colada. 

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #1387 on: January 18, 2020, 09:35:05 am »

Further up the Atlantic coast, in Newfoundland, they are experiencing a record snow storm.
Epic storm with a snowfall up to 2 1/2 ft (75cm), 5 ft tall snowdrifts, 130km wind gusts, -45C (49F below) temperatures, and 30 ft high waves.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/newfoundland-blizzard-as-seen-from-space-1.4772687

Only 20cm (8") expected for Toronto.

The west coast (Vancouver Island) has had a lot of snow this week as well. A friend in Nanaimo reports lots of difficulty in getting around but she says that's more because of a lack of plows. They're just not equipped for that kind of weather since it happens rarely.

I jokingly asked a B&B proprietor in Victoria once if he owned a snow shovel and he just looked at me blankly and said no.

--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1388 on: January 18, 2020, 09:53:09 am »

The Vancouverites may be low on snow shovels, but many own skis.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/people-skiing-vancouver-snow

Meanwhile, in Newfoundland not only people, but also moose are stuck in the deep snow

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #1389 on: January 18, 2020, 10:43:10 am »

I jokingly asked a B&B proprietor in Victoria once if he owned a snow shovel and he just looked at me blankly and said no.

I spent four years attending undergraduate college in New Hampshire, and got my fill of snow.  (The skiers loved it, of course.)  Since then, I've gravitated toward warmer climes.  Still, nature can pitch you an occasional curve ball.

I was once in Vancouver when it snowed.  For all of about ... let's say ... 30 minutes, light flakes fell along the waterfront.  We tourists took it in stride, but the locals seemed mesmerized by their winter wonderland.  Then the precipitation turned to (very cold) rain.  We tourists were really miserable, but the locals took it in stride.  Then the sun came out.  Fin de "storm."

One morning in Santa Fe, New Mexico, my wife and I woke up to discover two inches of snow covering the outdoor wooden stairs leading down from our second-story (storey) extended-stay hotel suite.  I grabbed a plastic coat hanger from the closet, and used it to clear them before we walked down to go to the main building for breakfast.  By the time we had finished eating, the snow was gone, the sun was shining, and the outdoor temperatures demanded nothing more than a light jacket.  By lunchtime, even that was too much.

Here in the Washington, D.C. area, we're more-or-less accustomed to snow.  We get some every winter, and occasionally we experience a real deluge.  Doesn't seem to make any difference: whenever it snows, our traffic―already notoriously awful―typically grinds to a halt.  Some would consider that an appropriate metaphor for our politics.

Rob C

« Reply #1390 on: January 18, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »

I spent four years attending undergraduate college in New Hampshire, and got my fill of snow.  (The skiers loved it, of course.)  Since then, I've gravitated toward warmer climes.  Still, nature can pitch you an occasional curve ball.

I was once in Vancouver when it snowed.  For all of about ... let's say ... 30 minutes, light flakes fell along the waterfront.  We tourists took it in stride, but the locals seemed mesmerized by their winter wonderland.  Then the precipitation turned to (very cold) rain.  We tourists were really miserable, but the locals took it in stride.  Then the sun came out.  Fin de "storm."

One morning in Santa Fe, New Mexico, my wife and I woke up to discover two inches of snow covering the outdoor wooden stairs leading down from our second-story (storey) extended-stay hotel suite.  I grabbed a plastic coat hanger from the closet, and used it to clear them before we walked down to go to the main building for breakfast.  By the time we had finished eating, the snow was gone, the sun was shining, and the outdoor temperatures demanded nothing more than a light jacket.  By lunchtime, even that was too much.

Here in the Washington, D.C. area, we're more-or-less accustomed to snow.  We get some every winter, and occasionally we experience a real deluge.  Doesn't seem to make any difference: whenever it snows, our traffic―already notoriously awful―typically grinds to a halt.  Some would consider that an appropriate metaphor for our politics.

A little snow, and Britain's railroads stop: wrong kind of snow; just like the wrong kind of leaves does it in autumn.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1391 on: January 18, 2020, 05:46:17 pm »

More photos from Newfoundland on Jan 18. Click on the link below.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6430959/photos-eastern-newfoundland-snow/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 05:50:42 pm by LesPalenik »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1392 on: January 18, 2020, 08:57:39 pm »

Good thing global warming is here. It will be here before you can say super octane.  :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1393 on: January 19, 2020, 05:29:08 am »

The cause of Australia’s bushfires – what the SCIENCE says
https://youtu.be/t0x46-enxsA

A nice analysis of a not so nice outlook into the future...

I feel sorry for those who are suffering losses right now.
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1394 on: January 20, 2020, 10:49:27 am »

STORM GLORIA: Triggers A Terrifying And Rare Red Weather Alert In Spain
https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/01/20/storm-gloria-triggers-a-terrifying-and-rare-red-weather-alert-in-spain/
SPAIN has been hit by a freak snow blizzard that is expected to last until tomorrow (Tuesday), in what could be the “most intense” snowfall to strike the country on record.

The unusual weather has triggered a terrifying and rare red weather alert in Spain, amid warnings for snow, freezing temperatures, rain and high winds. Storm Gloria will continue throughout today, Monday, and tomorrow leaving strong winds and rain throughout the peninsula, with special strength in the Mediterranean arc.

Storm Gloria continues to rip through Spain leaving a trail of destruction in its wake and has already claimed it’s first mortal victim. The accident took place on the Asturian side of the Puerto de San Isidro (León), when a 44-year-old man was run over by a vehicle while putting snow chains on his car.

The storm gets fed by increased temperatures of the Mediterranean sea, so while it's just an extreme weather event, it is also climate related.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1395 on: January 20, 2020, 11:07:29 am »

Absolutely, Bart. We're all gonna die!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1396 on: January 20, 2020, 11:17:04 am »

In Florida, mainly in the low lying areas.

The flooding here and elsewhere is happening during so-called "king tides." Those are times, mostly in the fall, when the moon's gravitational pull means tides are higher than usual.

"It's kind of tough to go out and walk your dog unless you have hip boots on," he says. "There [are] people that are going to work that won't drive their vehicles through here. And they park up to the grocery store on U.S. 1 and they'll walk up."

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/28/783349974/this-florida-keys-neighborhood-has-been-flooded-for-nearly-3-months

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1397 on: January 20, 2020, 11:26:46 am »

Glub, glub.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1398 on: January 20, 2020, 12:49:36 pm »

Death and Taxes, both unavoidable. It's not a question of 'if' but rather 'how?'.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1399 on: January 20, 2020, 09:01:32 pm »

CFCs (like Freon) responsible for half of Arctic sea-ice loss due to causing rising atmospheric temperatures. .  Apparently damage to the Ozone layer has caused about a third of the melting.  What's not reported ids how much of it contributed to global warming in general.  What other factors are not yet apparent that may be causing a rise?  WE skeptics want to know. 
https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/cfcs-responsible-for-half-of-arctic-sea-ice-loss/4011037.article

Apparently, China has become a major contributor to ozone depleting CFC gas.  At least 40-60% of the increase in emissions reported last year can be traced back to sources in China.  On the other hand, it's not too bad on a per Chinese capita basis.  :)
https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/china-identified-as-source-of-unexpected-rise-in-cfc-emissions/3010523.article

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 114   Go Up