Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 114   Go Down

Author Topic: Extreme weather  (Read 112254 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Extreme weather
« Reply #1400 on: January 21, 2020, 06:13:43 am »

Global warming can't be blamed on CFCs – another one bites the dust
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/18/global-warming-carbon-not-cfcs
Nuccitelli et al. (2014) rebuts the argument that global warming is due to chlorofluorocarbon rather than carbon emissions

Are the ozone hole and global warming related?
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/are-the-ozone-hole-and-global-warming-related/
There are some connections between the two phenomena.

For example, the CFCs that destroy ozone are also potent greenhouse gases, though they are present in such small concentrations in the atmosphere (several hundred parts per trillion, compared to several hundred parts per million for carbon dioxide) that they are considered a minor player in greenhouse warming. CFCs account for about 13% of the total energy absorbed by human-produced greenhouse gases.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:19:11 am by Bart_van_der_Wolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1401 on: January 21, 2020, 07:05:22 am »

The Guardian as a source!? The newspaper of choice of the Soviet elite!? Has anyone told them (The Guardian) that Brezhnev is no longer the Party’s Secretary General? The news about the Berlin Wall fall should also be delivered to them very gently. Poor souls.

;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1402 on: January 21, 2020, 08:43:27 am »

I see Harry and Meghan are moving to Canada after giving up their royalty. Must be the warming weather in Canada that attracted them another advantage of climate change. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1403 on: January 21, 2020, 08:46:51 am »

Global warming can't be blamed on CFCs – another one bites the dust
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2014/apr/18/global-warming-carbon-not-cfcs

Are the ozone hole and global warming related?
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/blogs/climateqa/are-the-ozone-hole-and-global-warming-related/
Bart you're cherry picking again. The original article didn't say global warming was all due to the CFCs. Only a third. Of course that's a lot. Let's tell the truth please. Also the fact that there is less CFCs than CO2 doesn't address the fact that CFCs are hundreds of times more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1404 on: January 21, 2020, 08:52:13 am »

Also loss of ozone layer caused by cfc contributes in a major way from the extra radiation of the sun.   What other factors have scientists missed about global warming? What if wer found another factor so far unknown to scientists currently that makes CO2 a minor component of the problem? This happens a lot in science as new discoveries obsolete old theories.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1405 on: January 21, 2020, 10:12:23 am »

Also loss of ozone layer caused by cfc contributes in a major way from the extra radiation of the sun.   What other factors have scientists missed about global warming?

You are apparently assuming, for some reason, that scientists are overlooking something huge. Something that will debunk(?) the physical effects of CO2

What if wer found another factor so far unknown to scientists currently that makes CO2 a minor component of the problem?

That would create a challenge to explain away the measurable effect that CO2 has. You can have both CO2 AND some unknown major thing causing exactly the effect of CO2. Ain't gonna happen. The effects of CO2 have been predicted since 1896, and we are witnessing it today. Physics is correct.

And the (scientists of the) oil companies have known it for quite a while as well:
Climate of Concern - Royal Dutch Shell (1991)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VOWi8oVXmo

https://thecorrespondent.com/6285/shell-made-a-film-about-climate-change-in-1991-then-neglected-to-heed-its-own-warning/692663565-875331f6
Confidential documents show that Shell sounded the alarm about global warming as early as 1986. But despite this clear-eyed view of the risks, the oil giant has lobbied against strong climate legislation for decades. Today we make Shell’s 1991 film, Climate of Concern, public again.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #1406 on: January 21, 2020, 10:45:17 am »

That would create a challenge to explain away the measurable effect that CO2 has.

How do you know that "effect" exists, Bart? One thing I learned early in my programming career was that correlation and causation are two different things.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1407 on: January 21, 2020, 12:01:43 pm »

I've come across this in a Facebook post. Do not know the source, nor i can vouch for its authenticity.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1408 on: January 21, 2020, 12:05:26 pm »

Bart I never said that CO2 has no effect on global warming. What I said is there may be other factors as if as just been discovered with CFCs that might have caused up to 1/3 increased in temperatures. What if there are other factors that are still unknown. That's all I'm saying is that there are other scientific discoveries to be made.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1409 on: January 21, 2020, 12:16:41 pm »

I've come across this in a Facebook post. Do not know the source, nor i can vouch for its authenticity.
Slobo that's a great chart.  What if the Gulf Stream shut down again?  Europe would enter another ice period.   Looks like it been cooling down overall since the Roman period.

Rob C

« Reply #1410 on: January 21, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »

Today, at Porto Colom in "sunny" Mallorca: 40m waves. The wave is shown on tv as it goes over a headland with villas after which I once lusted...

The Spanish news is full of this weather event called Gloria. It has now hit the Costa Brava and southern France, bringing snow, streets filled with sea foam, front-line establishments ruined, floods and several deaths and disappearances. And in Davos, Mr T says "I believe in the environment..." Unfortunately, he doesn't believe in the evidence of his own eyes, but then maybe his viewing habits are governed by his staff so as not to upset him and his beliefs.

It seems to me, from what I can pick up on the various weather charts being shown, that it started in the Sahara, which might say something about changes going down.

My own little town was shown earlier in the day, with more yachts swept ashore.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1411 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:23 pm »

... And in Davos, Mr T says "I believe in the environment..." Unfortunately, he doesn't believe in the evidence of his own eyes...

What evidence? That Mother Nature is being Mother Nature? Not the first nor the last time.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1412 on: January 21, 2020, 04:52:23 pm »

Today, at Porto Colom in "sunny" Mallorca: 40m waves...

That seems impossible. I assume you meant 4m? The weather prognosis for eastern Spain calls for 6-8m possible waves.

Rob C

« Reply #1413 on: January 21, 2020, 05:23:07 pm »

That seems impossible. I assume you meant 4m? The weather prognosis for eastern Spain calls for 6-8m possible waves.

Nope, I mean 40metres; try to catch one of the Spanish national tv stations tonight. I think it also appeared on france24.com but most of that news was consumed by Davos.

Here we go:

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/multimedia/videos/mallorca/2020-01-21-193134-borrasca-gloria-video-temporal-provoca-olas-gigantes-portocolom.html

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/telediario-21-horas-21-01-20/5489266/

(This one has better coverage.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:27:57 pm by Rob C »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1414 on: January 21, 2020, 06:04:57 pm »

Nope, I mean 40metres; try to catch one of the Spanish national tv stations tonight. I think it also appeared on france24.com but most of that news was consumed by Davos.

Here we go:
https://www.diariodemallorca.es/multimedia/videos/mallorca/2020-01-21-193134-borrasca-gloria-video-temporal-provoca-olas-gigantes-portocolom.html
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/telediario/telediario-21-horas-21-01-20/5489266/

40 meter waves, that's difficult to imagine. Something like 12 to 15 storey building.
I watched your link, and it looked frightening. Like a tsunami coming to town.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1415 on: January 22, 2020, 11:32:13 am »

Global warming (Centigrades):

Peter McLennan

« Reply #1416 on: January 22, 2020, 11:59:32 am »

More accurate than "Global Warming", or even "Climate Change" is "Climate Disruption".

Science has been warning of unpredictable changes that will result from continued CO2 emissions, and that's exactly what we're seeing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #1417 on: January 22, 2020, 12:36:48 pm »

...Science has been warning of unpredictable changes...

🤣🤣🤣

That’s what we’ve been saying all this time. Mother Nature being Mother Nature. Thanks for confirming.

And yet, even when we can’t predict sh”t, we are supposed to kill growth and return to the Stone Age, hunting our lunch with a bow and arrow!?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #1418 on: January 22, 2020, 12:53:27 pm »

Global warming (Centigrades):

All local temperatures, not global. So without a multidecadal history, you're talking about weather, not climate.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #1419 on: January 22, 2020, 12:54:09 pm »

That’s what we’ve been saying all this time. Mother Nature being Mother Nature. Thanks for confirming.

And yet, even when we can’t predict sh”t, we are supposed to kill growth and return to the Stone Age, hunting our lunch with a bow and arrow!?

Little growth can never hurt. But extreme growth based on accelerated exploitation and pollution of Earth could be detrimental not only to the health of the planet, but also to her inhabitants.  Besides, if we keep destroying the nature and animals, there won't be anything left to be shot with bow and arrows.
Billion animals perished in a very short time just in the recent Australia fires. Many more gone on the other continents.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 114   Go Up