Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53319 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 11:12:49 am »

Question re Z7 video.

At one of my kids school presentation I decided to shoot some videos with the Z7. I went for 24p, 4K, the rest of the settings were auto. I think the exposure was 1/30, f 7.1, iso was on auto and was varrying, i think it went up to 16k or 18k (crappy light). When I playback in windows media or VLC I get this random horizontal strips, up the 5% of the height, very brief. Initially I thought it's the camera but I opened the video with Premiere Elements and it doesn't show any issues. Is it the 24p that's the problem or something else?

I should mention that I have little experience with tech video.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2019, 03:56:33 pm »

I'm researching a wide angle in the range 18-21mm to use on the Z7. It would effectively take the place of my Leica Super Elmar-M f/3.4 21mm ASPH which I use on a Leica M240. This lens is simply the best super-wide I've ever used - even better than the Hasselblad H 28mm - and any replacement would need to compete. The lens needs to be well corrected but doesn't need to be fast aperture as I would typically use it in the f8-f11 range. This is the one focal length where I would prefer manual focus, reasonably compact and not too heavy. The Zeiss Otus and Sigma Art lenses are just too big and heavy.

I already own the FTZ F Mount adapter and have been looking at various F Mount lenses. The Zeiss Milvus 18mm & 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 Nikon F Mount Lenses have my attention but I'm unfamiliar with them, not even sure they'd work with the FTZ and Z7.

Any feedback on these lenses and their potential use on the Nikon would be gratefully received as would any suggestions for alternative lenses.     

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2019, 04:39:52 pm »

I'm researching a wide angle in the range 18-21mm to use on the Z7. It would effectively take the place of my Leica Super Elmar-M f/3.4 21mm ASPH which I use on a Leica M240. This lens is simply the best super-wide I've ever used - even better than the Hasselblad H 28mm - and any replacement would need to compete. The lens needs to be well corrected but doesn't need to be fast aperture as I would typically use it in the f8-f11 range. This is the one focal length where I would prefer manual focus, reasonably compact and not too heavy. The Zeiss Otus and Sigma Art lenses are just too big and heavy.

I already own the FTZ F Mount adapter and have been looking at various F Mount lenses. The Zeiss Milvus 18mm & 21mm f/2.8 ZF.2 Nikon F Mount Lenses have my attention but I'm unfamiliar with them, not even sure they'd work with the FTZ and Z7.

Any feedback on these lenses and their potential use on the Nikon would be gratefully received as would any suggestions for alternative lenses.   

Keith,

I never found Nikkor wides beyond 35mm particularly good, and that was going no wider then 24mm. Back in the day, my last boss used both Nikon F and Leica M3 cameras, but the 21mm work was always the Leica one on the M3.

I kinda remember comments on LuLa about the latest Nikkor T/S super wide being good, but wasn't paying real interest; I'm sure Bernard has some good advice available once he finds this thread.

If you are going to be working stopped as far down as you think, I guess that means zone focussing, so why not just use the Leicas you have; the viewfinder system must be good enough to show the picture limits, so it should be a cost-free solution using what you have, but yeah, a second system to lug around...

Rob
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:46:06 pm by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2019, 05:23:08 pm »

Keith,

I never found Nikkor wides beyond 35mm particularly good, and that was going no wider then 24mm. Back in the day, my last boss used both Nikon F and Leica M3 cameras, but the 21mm work was always the Leica one on the M3.

I kinda remember comments on LuLa about the latest Nikkor T/S super wide being good, but wasn't paying real interest; I'm sure Bernard has some good advice available once he finds this thread.

If you are going to be working stopped as far down as you think, I guess that means zone focussing, so why not just use the Leicas you have; the viewfinder system must be good enough to show the picture limits, so it should be a cost-free solution using what you have, but yeah, a second system to lug around...

Rob

Rob, I've looked at all the Nikon wides but nothing floats my boat. I did consider the 19mm PC-E T/S but it is too big, heavy and expensive.

One advantage of Leica lenses is they hold their value well, to the extent I'll actually be making money on the sale of one of two. That said I'll need to sell in order to buy. And you're right, two systems sucks.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 05:34:29 pm by KLaban »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2019, 06:19:20 pm »

The 19mm T/S is indeed probably the best lens in existence in that focal range, but it is pretty big and priced accordingly.

A very good alternative among existing Nikon lenses is the diminutive 20mm f1.8 AF-S.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2019, 06:53:28 pm »

If you can wait Nikon has a 20 F1.8 S in the roadmap in 1-2 years. The F version has pretty good reviews and considering that (in theory) the wider mount should offer an advantage at the wide end, the S version could end up smaller and/or sharper. And you have autofocus which matters to you, the T/S is manual and large.

John Camp

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 06:58:34 pm »

I just ordered a Z6 with the FTZ (I have a line of f-mount lenses to go with my D800) and the 24-70 f4. Tell me I didn't make a mistake in not ordering the Z7 (I don't print large -- never more than 22".) Is the wide zoom available yet? It's "pre-order" on B&H. Looks like a nice compact lens. The lens I'm most worried about is my f-mount AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.8 G. That should play nice with the FTZ, right? It was cheap but I got a good one, and it's nice and compact, and I don't see anything in the Z lineup yet that would replace it... The batteries with the D800 were the En-EL15. Are those compatible with the Z? I'm looking for some encouragement here... :)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2019, 08:51:45 pm »

Batteries are compatible, the 80mm f1.8 should work nicely with the FTZ, the Z6 is perfect if you don’t intend to print large and is one of the best video cameras on the market.

The 14-30 f4 is available (I got mine 10 days ago in Tokyo) and my copy appears to be an extremely good one because I find its performance to be outstanding.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2019, 10:26:12 pm »

The only thing is you cannot charge the En-EL15 in camera, only the newer 15b.

KLaban

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2019, 03:51:20 am »

The 19mm T/S is indeed probably the best lens in existence in that focal range, but it is pretty big and priced accordingly.

A very good alternative among existing Nikon lenses is the diminutive 20mm f1.8 AF-S.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, is this the AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2019, 04:51:51 am »

Bernard, is this the AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED?

Precisely yes!

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F18-G-ED

Cheers,
Bernard

KLaban

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2019, 06:46:03 am »

Precisely yes!

https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Nikon/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F18-G-ED

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks.

I'm in two four minds as to what to do.

I could buy the AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F1.8-G-ED and use it with the FTZ which would add to the size and weight. Or I could go for the 14-30 f4 for the flexibility. Or I could for the time being carry on using a Leica body in combination with the 21 Super-Elmar until the 20 1.8 S Z series is released. The 14-28 2.8 S Z Series is likely to be too big and heavy.

Or, as I mentioned in an earlier post I could go for either the 18 or 21 Zeiss Milivus in combination with the FTZ but that would again increase the heft and girth. The problem here is I've no idea how good these are and how they'd perform on the Z7.

Scratches head in confusion, but it's a nice problem to have.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 07:37:08 am by KLaban »

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2019, 01:19:05 pm »

Thanks.

I could buy the AF-S-NIKKOR-20mm-F1.8-G-ED and use it with the FTZ which would add to the size and weight. Or I could go for the 14-30 f4 for the flexibility. Or I could for the time being carry on using a Leica body in combination with the 21 Super-Elmar until the 20 1.8 S Z series is released. The 14-28 2.8 S Z Series is likely to be too big and heavy.

Or, as I mentioned in an earlier post I could go for either the 18 or 21 Zeiss Milivus in combination with the FTZ but that would again increase the heft and girth. The problem here is I've no idea how good these are and how they'd perform on the Z7.

When in doubt, do nowt!

Your Leica is a gem - use it as long as it gives you the focal length and proven quality you want with usable ergonomics for your own optical situation.

There is nothing worse than regret at losing something wonderful one already had.

(Relax. I shall resist going back to my favourite geographical topic of Swedish squares.)

I wish you well - just don't rush!

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2019, 01:36:22 pm »

Keith, did you receive that e-mail with my snailmail adres I sent you?

I mean, it would be a shame if that Leica is just gathering dust from now on. Somebody needs to walk the dog every now and then, no? (Since Rob apparently is too modest to volunteer).

;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

KLaban

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2019, 02:26:22 pm »

When in doubt, do nowt!

Your Leica is a gem - use it as long as it gives you the focal length and proven quality you want with usable ergonomics for your own optical situation.

There is nothing worse than regret at losing something wonderful one already had.

(Relax. I shall resist going back to my favourite geographical topic of Swedish squares.)

I wish you well - just don't rush!

Rob

Rob, don't worry, the wide will be the last piece of the jigsaw. If necessary the decision could wait until next year.

As an aside, my testing of the Z7 with the native 50mm 1.8 lens has so far been a revelation, never before have I seen such detailed files. The colour via Adobe's ACR profiles is equally impressive.

As you know I have two M240 cameras, rest assured that at least one will remain in my grasp until I'm convinced of the way forward. I've never regretted a camera sale yet and want things to stay that way.

;-) 

KLaban

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2019, 02:28:12 pm »

Keith, did you receive that e-mail with my snailmail adres I sent you?

I mean, it would be a shame if that Leica is just gathering dust from now on. Somebody needs to walk the dog every now and then, no? (Since Rob apparently is too modest to volunteer).

;-)

You mean you haven't yet received the package?

Gosh, I hope it hasn't been lost in the post!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2019, 06:15:19 pm »

You mean you haven't yet received the package?

Gosh, I hope it hasn't been lost in the post!

Somehow I have received it... such a nice camera and in pristine condition! Can I keep it? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2019, 07:10:15 pm »

Question re Z7 video.

At one of my kids school presentation I decided to shoot some videos with the Z7. I went for 24p, 4K, the rest of the settings were auto. I think the exposure was 1/30, f 7.1, iso was on auto and was varrying, i think it went up to 16k or 18k (crappy light). When I playback in windows media or VLC I get this random horizontal strips, up the 5% of the height, very brief. Initially I thought it's the camera but I opened the video with Premiere Elements and it doesn't show any issues. Is it the 24p that's the problem or something else?

I should mention that I have little experience with tech video.

It’s hard to say without seeing some of the video. If you can upload a clip to Dropbox or the like, I’d be glad to look at it for you. I can tell you definitively that the problem is not 24p if you are in the US. It might be if you are in Europe.

If you are in the US, 24p or 30p should be your go-to frame rates for video, in Europe, 25p. Unless you absolutely need the extra light, your shutter speed should be as close to 1/2 your frame rate as possible, so 1/50 for 24p or 25p, 1/60 for 30p.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2019, 07:14:26 pm »

The newest 20mm f/1.8 is an excellent lens. One of Nikon’s sharpest wides. It has the advantage of autofocus on the FTZ adapter.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2019, 07:22:12 pm »

Thanks.

Either of the Zeiss lenses are very good, but they are significantly heavier than the Nikon 20mm and manual focus. If it were me (and it’s not) I’d try out the 14-30 native zoom I received mine this week, and initial tests are making me very happy. I expect the native 20mm that’s on the roadmap to make me even happier.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19   Go Up