Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53326 times)

ericbowles

• Bowles Images
Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 11:12:42 am »

Normally firmware updates include bug fixes and other items that are not stated or disclosed.  For example, Adobe says in the release notes that unreported items are not listed even if they have fixes in the update. 

I updated firmware for my Z6 the day it was released and it has worked perfectly. 
Eric Bowles
Nature Photography
Workshops and Instruction

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 02:12:00 pm »

Got to use the Z7 more extensively over the last couple of weeks and I had lots of comments, now I seem to have forgotten most  :D
Either way, I'll add some as I start recalling.

1. Exposure compensation resets after the camera is shut down; while it has some value in some situations I would rather not do it or at least give me the possibility to choose.

2. I would like to be able to combine AE bracketing with focus shift, I'm not sure but I don't think it's possible.

3. An articulating screen a la Fuji X-T2/X-T3 would be much appreciated. I did some handheld shot at wide angle where I had to get it done fast and I choose the Fuji often because in portrait mode I can easily see it. Situation like wet/muddy ground, rained/splashed upon or too many people around so I had to frame and take the shots fast (another reason to choose the Fuji was the wider lens and the margin for error if I didn't get the framing entirely right)

4. Working with Snapbridge for the first time wasn't very fulfilling; I didn't have time to work out the problems but in one of them it would only allow me to use ISO100 or 25600  ???

SrMi

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 12:03:44 am »

Got to use the Z7 more extensively over the last couple of weeks and I had lots of comments, now I seem to have forgotten most  :D
Either way, I'll add some as I start recalling.

1. Exposure compensation resets after the camera is shut down; while it has some value in some situations I would rather not do it or at least give me the possibility to choose.

<snip>

Check custom setting b2. It is likely set to "On (Auto reset)". By changing it to either "On" or "Off" the EC will not be reset when the camera is shut down. I highly recommend Thom Hogan's ebook "Complete Guide to the Nikon Z7 and Z6".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 07:59:51 am »

I highly recommend Thom Hogan's ebook "Complete Guide to the Nikon Z7 and Z6".
+1

Even if you are totally familiar with Nikon DSLRs there are enough differences in the Z series that might catch one by surprise.  Hogan's guide is extremely valuable in this regard.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 08:15:16 pm »

As much as I love my Z 24-70 f4 S, it does suffer from complex distorsion that C1 Pro is unable to correct.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the results I have gotten from DxO Photolab 2.

I had not used DxO much recently and was never in love with the colors and look previous versions used to produce. Probably a profiling issue.

PL2 has improved this in a major way. wow. And we still have the best in class optical correction as well as the Nik control points that have been improved further.

DxO may become my raw converter of choice.

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2019, 12:01:20 am »

As much as I love my Z 24-70 f4 S, it does suffer from complex distorsion that C1 Pro is unable to correct.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the results I have gotten from DxO Photolab 2.

I had not used DxO much recently and was never in love with the colors and look previous versions used to produce. Probably a profiling issue.

PL2 has improved this in a major way. wow. And we still have the best in class optical correction as well as the Nik control points that have been improved further.

DxO may become my raw converter of choice.

Cheers,
Bernard

You could also convert the NEF file to TIFF in Capture NX-D and then use it in C1.
The main reason why I have not bought C1 is the lack of support for some of my cameras (Z 7, X1D).

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2019, 01:45:00 am »

You could also convert the NEF file to TIFF in Capture NX-D and then use it in C1.
The main reason why I have not bought C1 is the lack of support for some of my cameras (Z 7, X1D).

I suppose I could yes. How do you find the NX-D files?

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 04:57:24 pm »

I suppose I could yes. How do you find the NX-D files?

Cheers,
Bernard

As I am a relatively happy user of Adobe products, I have not spent much time with Capture NX-D. In theory, Nikon's software should have best raw converters for Nikon cameras.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 07:34:43 am »

A question rather than a comment or issue.

Does the AA filter in the Z6 make much difference to image sharpness when compared to the lack of an AA filter in the Z7?

KLaban

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 06:13:46 pm »

A question rather than a comment or issue.

Does the AA filter in the Z6 make much difference to image sharpness when compared to the lack of an AA filter in the Z7?

I have found a discussion on this question here

Rob C

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 07:04:43 pm »

I have found a discussion on this question here

As with much, it appears to me to be entirely subjective in response; there's only ever going to be one worthwhile method to evaluate, and you already know what it is: buy your local Nikon dealer man a drink, and try out both cameras.

But hey, you also know that it is your input that matters most every time in any art. I am sure your work will still be top drawer, as in the past, whatever camera you adopt. Can either of us afford the time to worry about cameras of all things?

I'm older than you, and what I have discovered, despite my original objections to it, is that af is pretty essential for my state of vision; stabilisation matters not to me - if anything, I find too much crispness (yes, I believe it exists) to be a bit of a mood killer. As for having the camera do sharpening, not on your life: I need to be in control of those things, hence my digital experience has always been to turn everything as manual as I can. The computer is a more relaxed forum for making such decisions which, anyway, may only be required - or be useful - in tiny areas of a frame. It's not coincidence that makes me think good film results look more pleasing than too critically crisp digital ones of similar things.

There's one good street shooter here who, in my view, shoots himself in the foot by sometimes turning his work into 4x5 lookalikes, thus killing the very essence of "street" which is something that needs the impression of what HC-B called à la sauvette. Crewdson is not street.

:-)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:11:09 am by Rob C »

KLaban

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2019, 05:51:36 am »

As with much, it appears to me to be entirely subjective in response; there's only ever going to be one worthwhile method to evaluate, and you already know what it is: buy your local Nikon dealer man a drink, and try out both cameras.

But hey, you also know that it is your input that matters most every time in any art. I am sure your work will still be top drawer, as in the past, whatever camera you adopt. Can either of us afford the time to worry about cameras of all things?

I'm older than you, and what I have discovered, despite my original objections to them, is that af is pretty essential for my state of vision; stabilisation matters not to me - if anything, I find too much crispness (yes, I believe it exists) to be a bit of a mood killer. As for having the camera do sharpening, not on your life: I need to be in control of those things, hence my digital experience has always been to turn everything as manual as I can. The computer is a more relaxed forum for making such decisions which, anyway, may only be required - or be useful - in tiny areas of a frame. It's not coincidence that makes me think good film results look more pleasing than too critically crisp digital ones of similar things.

There's one good street shooter here who, in my view, shoots himself in the foot by sometimes turning his work into 4x5 lookalikes, thus killing the very essence of "street" which is something that needs the impression of what HC-B called à la sauvette. Crewdson is not street.

Over the last 60 years it has been my experience that the camera in hand has had some influence on my choice of subject. Of course part of that is the suitability of a specific camera to a specific subject but the choice has also influenced how I feel about and interact with the subject which in turn whets my appetite for the genre.

You know and I know that I have never and will never buy a camera in the hopes it'll make me a better image maker. As far as image qualities are concerned I'll use a camera lens combination that is capable of delivering those qualities. If I want a particular part of an image to be sharp then sharp it will be and the converse will apply.

I have eyesight issues, cataract developing in one eye and macular degeneration in the other. As much as I love using my rangefinder cameras and will continue doing so I realise that there are situations when I need some help, hence AF. I've always valued utter simplicity in a camera and will continue to do so. I've always researched any possible new camera purchases thoroughly and have made quite sure that they meet my needs before buying. Happily, now, much of this process can be achieved before the ultimate test of having that camera in hand: it's probably why I've yet to make a mistake. Long may that continue.

Rob C

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2019, 05:28:04 pm »

Over the last 60 years it has been my experience that the camera in hand has had some influence on my choice of subject. Of course part of that is the suitability of a specific camera to a specific subject but the choice has also influenced how I feel about and interact with the subject which in turn whets my appetite for the genre.

You know and I know that I have never and will never buy a camera in the hopes it'll make me a better image maker. As far as image qualities are concerned I'll use a camera lens combination that is capable of delivering those qualities. If I want a particular part of an image to be sharp then sharp it will be and the converse will apply.

I have eyesight issues, cataract developing in one eye and macular degeneration in the other. As much as I love using my rangefinder cameras and will continue doing so I realise that there are situations when I need some help, hence AF. I've always valued utter simplicity in a camera and will continue to do so. I've always researched any possible new camera purchases thoroughly and have made quite sure that they meet my needs before buying. Happily, now, much of this process can be achieved before the ultimate test of having that camera in hand: it's probably why I've yet to make a mistake. Long may that continue.

Cataracts exist in both my personal optics; if only it were as naturally simple to reproduce a controlled version of what I can sometimes see, depending on lighting, via that device called camera.

When I was working, Nikon and 'blad turned me into two quite different photographers - it really was that radical. Nikon had me doing a jumping jack flash number (singer Margaret Savage called me that) and the 'blad turned me into Barry Lategan (I wish!) in the sense that I went tripod. I'm glad I never bought my own 8x10.

Regarding making mistakes: mine was to swap the best 6x6 in the world for 6x7 just as digital was starting to hit the stock world.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 05:31:44 pm by Rob C »

John Camp

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 02:46:47 pm »

Cataracts exist in both my personal optics; if only it were as naturally simple to reproduce a controlled version of what I can sometimes see, depending on lighting, via that device called camera.

Rob -- you do know, for most people, that can be easily fixed? My mother had her cataracts removed when she was in her middle eighties and got back to (what she said was) sharp vision.

I think the reign of sharpness is coming to a close for many photographic artists. Sharpness is fascist. Gotta go with the glance and the impression.

faberryman

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 02:55:34 pm »

Rob -- you do know, for most people, that can be easily fixed? My mother had her cataracts removed when she was in her middle eighties and got back to (what she said was) sharp vision.

I think the reign of sharpness is coming to a close for many photographic artists. Sharpness is fascist. Gotta go with the glance and the impression.
What do glace and impression have to do with sharpness or a lack thereof?

John Camp

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2019, 08:41:17 pm »

What do glance and impression have to do with sharpness or a lack thereof?

About everything. It's a whole different way of seeing. The Impressionist painters (at least some of them) had no problems drawing and painting in highly realistic styles, but they didn't, by choice. They left you with an impression, what you got whacked with when you came across a beautiful scene, and were never much interested in ultimate sharpness. The same with glances (which are rapid and not entirely coherent) and B&W images, which are abstractions of what our eyes see (assuming you have color vision.)

To talk about glance, assume you came across what you believed was about to become a police shooting, and you only have a cell phone, and you're worried about several things -- your own safety and the safety of somebody who might be with you, how to get to safety (maybe you're running,) getting the photo, pushing the button at the right instant, etc. Assuming you do all of that, or most of it, the final photo is going to reflect all of that -- haste, danger, etc., and it's going to feel much more real (IMHO) than if you had a DSLR set up on a tripod and got the shot, because the DSLR shot wouldn't reflect any of that.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2019, 10:42:08 pm »

Indeed. Very well put!

I believe that the look of lenses falls into this as well.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2019, 08:50:14 am »

Hi John,

Yes, thanks for the thought, I've been having regular eye-checks through the local medical services; the problem is that there is a long queue. My last visit to the GP resulted in him filling in yet another request form, adding that I was in the second stage of urgency, which is not yet desperate, but a step above just kicking tyres. When his receptionist fed the form into the computer, instead of the hoped for appointment, she got the usual "they will call you" result, which means not a lot's gonna happen real soon.

I suspect that they are combining two reservations: my age; the fact that a bad, no-deal Brexit will limit the time period during which Spain is responsble for providing medical treatment to Brits. Private health we abandoned eleven years ago when my wife discovered, in an emergency, just how good the state medical service was compared with the private.

So I guess I have little option but to sit and wait to see what happens. (I should manage that!)

On the art side, yes, literalism is not what it was. As with everything photographic, there are no real rules that cover all situations. I guess I'm just naturally drawn to less obvious - if I can get away with it.

Rob

John Camp

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 04:47:19 pm »

Rob,

We should start a thread in the coffee corner or whatever that's called now, about the effects of Brexit on UK citizens living in Europe. I find the whole Brexit thing both befuddling and fascinating...not to say completely f***in' nuts. The health care aspects had never occurred to me.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 07:55:02 am »

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up