Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues  (Read 53342 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« on: January 17, 2019, 09:25:55 am »

Since the old and lengthy Nikon Z thread was locked, I've created one that can be used to discuss (I hope) things related directly to the cameras.  I just got my Z 6 last week and have been slowly going through the manual just to make sure that I know what the major differences are from the D810.  One thing that was curious is that there is no cable release socket.  I assume that if one is doing tripod shooting that in addition to turning off the IBIS, one would simply use the shutter delay button.  I wonder if the omission of this is related in any way to weather proofing that that everyone just uses shutter delay (I've used both in the past on DSLRs). 

I'm pretty darn impressed with the build and feel of the camera and it's just the right weight for travel.

Dan Wells

Re: Nikon Z 6 & Z 7 Comments and Issues
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 12:21:00 pm »

There are at least two, and perhaps as many as four ways to remote release a Z7 (presumably a Z6 as well) besides the self-timer (which works just fine, and is my usual method).

If it's paired to your phone, SnapBridge has a shutter button, which works reliably (it's WiFi, so the range is pretty good, and it works from any side of the camera). I've used this, and it works.

It does have a remote socket - it's just not the one you're looking for. It takes Nikon's MC-DC2 remote (like the consumer cameras) rather than the pro-style 10-pin remote. I've never used it, but it's the odd little socket under the HDMI port. Plenty of cheap alternatives to the Nikon cord, some with intervalometers and the like. There are also radio triggers that fit that port.

It may well also fire from the USB port and/or the mic jack - many cameras do... I haven't tried either one.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 12:32:35 pm »

...If it's paired to your phone, SnapBridge has a shutter button, which works reliably (it's WiFi, so the range is pretty good, and it works from any side of the camera). I've used this, and it works.
but it takes some time (minute) to pair it...
after that is the contact steady? and what about battery life ?
Because if you should on location you want to pair it only once...and not think about it again
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 12:36:06 pm »

There are at least two, and perhaps as many as four ways to remote release a Z7 (presumably a Z6 as well) besides the self-timer (which works just fine, and is my usual method).
self-timer is my usual method also

It does have a remote socket - it's just not the one you're looking for. It takes Nikon's MC-DC2 remote (like the consumer cameras) rather than the pro-style 10-pin remote. I've never used it, but it's the odd little socket under the HDMI port. Plenty of cheap alternatives to the Nikon cord, some with intervalometers and the like. There are also radio triggers that fit that port.

Aha, the explanation is on page 184 of the user's manual and I had not read that far!!! ;D  I was looking on the outside of the camera body.  Unfortunately, my existing MC-30A won't be usuable on this camera.  I doubt it has any resale value at all and if anyone wants one PM me and I'll send it via post for free.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:47:39 pm »

I have the Z7, and I would like to be able to see the level and the histogram without having to press buttons.

SrMi

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:18:08 pm »

self-timer is my usual method also

Aha, the explanation is on page 184 of the user's manual and I had not read that far!!! ;D  I was looking on the outside of the camera body.  Unfortunately, my existing MC-30A won't be usuable on this camera.  I doubt it has any resale value at all and if anyone wants one PM me and I'll send it via post for free.

Note that on Z cameras the self-timer resets to the single frame release mode whenever you turn off the camera or when it enters the standby mode. If you select self-timer the standby time is automatically increased by 2 minutes.
An alternative is to use exposure delay (d4) instead of self-timer as d4 setting does not change when the camera turns off.

SrMi

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »

but it takes some time (minute) to pair it...
after that is the contact steady? and what about battery life ?
Because if you should on location you want to pair it only once...and not think about it again

You pair the Z camera with the phone only once, and you do not need to do it again unless you explicitly unpair the device.
The reconnect (after the camera is turned on, or awaken from standby) is quick and reliable.

Snapbridge works very well with iOS (have no experience with Android). I may need to restart Bluetooth or the app manually if I have not connected the phone with the camera for a longer time.

During a day of shooting, the reconnect time is about 6 seconds. I use Snapbridge to geotag my images. My Z 7 has Bluetooth always on and I do not see any impact on battery life (Z cameras have Smart Ready/Low Energy Bluetooth).

Dan Wells

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:14:10 pm »

Adapters exist to connect MC-30 type remote releases to the consumer accessory terminal standard (MC-DC2). It's almost certainly NOT worth it for a regular remote trigger - a consumer type trigger is cheaper than the adapter. B+H has the Nikon version for $27 and a copy for $8. Even fairly decent (Phottix, etc.) intervalometer triggers are under $50 in MC-DC2 interface.

Where it might be worth looking into an adapter cable or a cable from the interface on your device straight to MC-DC2, is if you have something other than a straight remote trigger. It's worth keeping an expensive radio trigger, high-end intervalometer or "break-beam" trigger (wildlife camera) that uses the MC-30 standard, or some MC-30 accessory other than a trigger. Many of these devices have replaceable cables and are designed to work with multiple camera brands -anything that has a replaceable cable probably has an MC-DC2 option.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 12:20:25 am »

I wonder how is the focus between Z6 and Z7. I got the Z7 thinking it will have an advantage and to fulfill my crave for more pixels but now that I have more pixels I realize I rarely need that many so a Z6 is a better value if all else is equal.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 02:00:42 am »

I wonder how is the focus between Z6 and Z7. I got the Z7 thinking it will have an advantage and to fulfill my crave for more pixels but now that I have more pixels I realize I rarely need that many so a Z6 is a better value if all else is equal.

I haven’t tried the Z6 yet, but it has some clear advantages:
- deeper buffer
- better video specs
- possibility better AF but reports aren’t very conclusive on this.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:45 am »

Z7 has more focus pixels so if the Z6 has a better focus performance is it a problem of processing power (easier to deal with less pixels) or algorithm?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 02:44:43 pm »

Z7 has more focus pixels so if the Z6 has a better focus performance is it a problem of processing power (easier to deal with less pixels) or algorithm?

My guess would be the power consumption resulting from processing power, but I could be totally wrong. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 05:30:51 pm »

My guess would be the power consumption resulting from processing power, but I could be totally wrong. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Since the Z 6 has fewer pixels than the Z 7 (almost half as many) it makes sense that the focus of the Z 6 will sample a smaller number of pixels.  The Z7 incorporates 493 PDAF AF points on its sensor, while the Z6 offers 273 – still a healthy amount when you consider some of the competition. Coverage on both cameras is still around 90% across the vertical and horizontal stretch of the frame.  Looking at the math, there is pretty much equivalent number of pixels sampled as a % of the total.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 06:38:52 pm »

Since the Z 6 has fewer pixels than the Z 7 (almost half as many) it makes sense that the focus of the Z 6 will sample a smaller number of pixels.  The Z7 incorporates 493 PDAF AF points on its sensor, while the Z6 offers 273 – still a healthy amount when you consider some of the competition. Coverage on both cameras is still around 90% across the vertical and horizontal stretch of the frame.  Looking at the math, there is pretty much equivalent number of pixels sampled as a % of the total.

Then my question remains, is it because it's easier to process fewer focusing pixels or something else? That is if the Z6 focus is indeed better.

jeremyrh

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57:09 am »

I see that the Northrups - Ken Rockwell for the YouTube generation - have another hatchet job on the Z series on their channel. I must be doing something wrong as my photos keep being in focus.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 04:13:53 am »

I see that the Northrups - Ken Rockwell for the YouTube generation - have another hatchet job on the Z series on their channel. I must be doing something wrong as my photos keep being in focus.

No one makes any money on YouTube by saying the camera is fine, no problems and if your photography still sucks it’s ypur own fault. And that’s actually most of the story

On top of that auto focus is actually tricky and while it’s works well it requires some skill to know what settings to engage under what conditions to achieve the best results.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 07:02:31 am »

No one makes any money on YouTube by saying the camera is fine, no problems and if your photography still sucks it’s ypur own fault. And that’s actually most of the story

On top of that auto focus is actually tricky and while it’s works well it requires some skill to know what settings to engage under what conditions to achieve the best results.

Very true.

I shot the Z7 in a dream village in South of France this weekend and boy... it is just perfect for that kind of shooting.

Lenses were 19mm T/S, 50mm f1.8 S and 105mm f1.4.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 05:23:11 am »

Firmware day in Nikon Z land. Some minor issues for those patches. The "big FW update" will come later in the year.

Z7 FW update C:Ver.1.03 >>>>    https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/314.html

Z6 FW update C:Ver.1.01 >>>>    https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/315.html

Happy patching !
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

jeremyrh

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:10 am »

Eye AF and improved low-light AF slated for May, apparently, with CFExpress support coming later.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/2961478322/nikon-announces-development-of-new-firmware-for-z6-and-z7

armand

• Photos
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:16:37 am »

I'll probably wait for the big update. I don't experience the current issues and I'd rather not risk breaking the cameras while traveling.
I found that it works well not to update the firmware unless I experience the issues that it's fixing or I really want the added features.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up