Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72541 times)

amolitor

• Contributor
Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #320 on: February 06, 2019, 07:13:52 pm »

Check out ********.com

I like Kevin and intend to write for him in his new venture, but I don't this is really cricket here.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:22 pm »

Check out photoPXL.com

Whoever they are, they want me to submit my info on the basis of that? Not a chance.
There is absolutely zero information presented or enticement to "subscribe" other than a simple graphic.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:30 pm »

Whoever they are, they want me to submit my info on the basis of that? Not a chance.
There is absolutely zero information presented or enticement to "subscribe" other than a simple graphic.
Did you not click on the 'Read More' button?  You would have seen that this site is the new home for Kevin Raber and that Chris Sanderson is joining him in this venture!

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #323 on: February 06, 2019, 08:05:25 pm »

I like Kevin and intend to write for him in his new venture, but I don't this is really cricket here.
Why not?  A lot of us were disappointed in his departure and it's nice to see that someone has posted a link to his new site.

ADDED:  It's also nice to see that he have another option for reviews besides LuLa.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #324 on: February 06, 2019, 08:07:07 pm »

I might agree, if it weren't for the secretive way Kevin and Chris were sent packing.

I'm not even thinking of leaving LuLa, but I'm also curious what Kevin and Chris will be doing.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #325 on: February 06, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »

I'm not even thinking of leaving LuLa, but I'm also curious what Kevin and Chris will be doing.

Yes, indeed, on both counts.  And given their long-term contributions to LuLa, there is no more appropriate place than these forums to alert us to their new venture.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #326 on: February 06, 2019, 08:28:25 pm »

Check out xxxxxxxx.com

You know what and I am going to be brutally honest here, when Michael passed away and Kevin took over (with the full and contractual agreement of Michael and Chris I assumed), then I wasn't too sure about whether Kevin could fill the shoes of Michael. And then as time went on, I became quite sure that he couldn't, but yet for some reason I was still sufficiently interested in what he had to say and his constant stream of video articles etc., kept me entertained to the point where I wanted to keep coming back for more. But now having surfed over there (thanks for the link Ian) and watching a couple of his new 'On The Rocks' videos, I began to realise that I had a smile on my face as I watched him and that I was really enjoying what I was seeing and hearing, and it sort of felt like I was home. So perhaps the thing I thought I had about Kevin running this site, wasn't about Kevin at all, but it was about me wanting the Lula site to stay as it was when Michael ran it and I couldn't get past the fact that Kevin wasn't Michael, he was somebody else and something else. So good for you Kevin with your newly whitened teeth and your new but wacky Heinrich Himmler style haircut, because I know that as soon as you get your site fully up and running, then I will be signing up to it, but I will also keep my subs going here as well and hopefully Josh will grow into the job and I will also want to keep coming back here for more also. But for the time being Josh, then this new site of Kevin's (and possibly aided by Chris), is certainly going to put a large competitive strain on the Lula membership numbers I think.

So that is probably going to be two sets of subs I am now going to be paying, but the upside is when I thought I was slowly losing one old site, that instead I now have the prospect of enjoying two new ones ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:42:31 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #327 on: February 06, 2019, 08:34:41 pm »

LuLa, whatever you think of the content or the management team, is a commercial enterprise.

If you're going to advertise another commercial enterprise, especially a competing one, buy a damn ad.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #328 on: February 06, 2019, 08:35:44 pm »

I might agree, if it weren't for the secretive way Kevin and Chris were sent packing.

Seems to be a new rule in the industry.

The surprise departure of Apple’s retail chief, Angela Ahrendts, leaves two questions. Why did she leave? And had she done a good job? Investors can’t know the answer to either. The $821 billion smartphone maker has a penchant for hiding information that investors would find useful.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-moves-breakingviews/breakingviews-apple-departure-points-to-wider-mystery-idUSKCN1PV2MC

Peter McLennan

« Reply #329 on: February 06, 2019, 10:48:01 pm »

Did you not click on the 'Read More' button?  You would have seen that this site is the new home for Kevin Raber and that Chris Sanderson is joining him in this venture!

I did not.  I should have. I Didn't get past the "sign up here" request. 
I have an aversion to sharing my contact details unless I see some advantage.
I have been bitten on the backside too often.

Rand47

« Reply #330 on: February 06, 2019, 11:47:06 pm »

Yes, indeed, on both counts.  And given their long-term contributions to LuLa, there is no more appropriate place than these forums to alert us to their new venture.

+1  Darn tootin’!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jeremyrh

« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2019, 06:01:17 am »

As has been stated elsewhere - you have absolutely no knowledge of the details of what happened or the terms under which Kevin left. Nor are you entitled to any. So to continue to cast aspersions on the new management is not justified IMO.

Rob C

« Reply #332 on: February 07, 2019, 07:10:27 am »

There is no earthly reason why people cannnot be readers/members of both Kevin's and Josh's sites: it's not a zero sum game.

The events took place; they cannot be undone, and to continue to bitch over something that had been completed is to be like the UK newspapers and tv stations that go for the dumbest route to making a buck, attracting an audience, and creating continued controversy over Donald Tusk's correct statement that the Brexit mob should have had a clear plan in place before bringing on the referendum, that those Brexiteers didn't even have a sketch of a plan.

Somehow, that truth stings the crap out of the great British media (which supported that decision to have referendum with all the venom it could legally muster), because it underlines the folly into which the nation has been induced, persuaded by them to dive. So far, all it has achieved is the division of families, ruined friendships and Nissan taking the opportunity to abandon a promised new post-Brexit production line in England and invest, instead, in its home base of Japan. In the meantime, Scotland looks on helplessly as its own future is put onto hold. Watch that space.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #333 on: February 07, 2019, 08:41:09 am »

Check out photoPXL.com

The name (photoPXL) could have been more creative.  But if you read the opening letter from Kevin Raber, it is quite clear that their new website will be not very different from the Unchanged Landscape that the new Lula seems to want to move away from.  It will most certainly poach people who are not happy with the direction they see Lula going.  In politics, it's not the crime but the cover-up and in business it is not the change but how you bring about it (or adapt to it if it is brought on by external forces, which in this case it is not.)   Look at the case of J. C. Penny as an example of what happens if you force your loyal customers to like something completely different from what they are used to and be comfortable with.  If you want to go into a new direction, make sure it does not alienate your old customers enough to cause them to run away to your competitor(s).  Judging from the vast majority of responses so far on this thread, it looks to me there is a clear danger for the new management of happening just that, particularly if there is a place like photoPXL to fill the void.   

If I were so bold as to give advice to Josh Reichmann, don't try so hard to show the "changing landscape" with new content coming this fast and furious - of which some are hits and some are clearly not.  Show the connection of these new things to the old culture, so people can see some continuity.  Evolution, not revolution - isn't that the Buddhist way.

:Niranjan.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:23:24 am by nirpat89 »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #334 on: February 07, 2019, 08:56:31 am »

All things need to run their course...good, bad or something in between. No one is forcing anyone to do do anything. We get to chose all, some or none.

At least that's how I have always look at things...

Peter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #335 on: February 07, 2019, 09:07:37 am »

...the Brexit...

Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed” - Cato the Elder, Roman senator, 2nd century BC

;)

Rob C

« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2019, 09:56:00 am »

Furthermore, Carthage must be destroyed” - Cato the Elder, Roman senator, 2nd century BC

;)

But Slobodan, Britain had moved on from dem days; this is more (to me) a matter of a gigantic 4x4 Trojan Horse; treachery most foul not a whisper behind. In fact, "let them eat cake" comes straight to mind. Just wait until those factories and banks close, and the nice, vote-happy people without offshore accounts and offshore businesses want to keep working...

My concern, of course, from whence my friggin' pension and medical requirements? I'm too oold to start roaming the Earth with a cudgel! As for grabbing some comely wench by the hair and dragging her into my cave (should I be so lucky as to have one still) for some light housekeeping duties... gimme a break!

And this from the same power structures that convinced millions of us we should buy into diesel cars!

Rob

faberryman

« Reply #337 on: February 07, 2019, 10:48:15 am »

If you want to go into a new direction, make sure it does not alienate your old customers enough to cause them to run away to your competitor(s).  Judging from the vast majority of responses so far on this thread, it looks to me there is a clear danger for the new management of happening just that, particularly if there is a place like photoPXL to fill the void.
In my mind, none of the new articles are worth paying for. The last one was a joke. If it is to be more of the same, I won't be renewing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #338 on: February 07, 2019, 11:03:39 am »

Rob, to end the detour from the main topic of this thread: Cato used that phrase to end his speeches in Senate no matter what the subject was. I understand that Brexit is dear to your heart (poor choice of words, perhaps?), as much as it is dangerous to the same, alas...  :)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #339 on: February 07, 2019, 02:53:09 pm »

...controversy over Donald Tusk's correct statement that the Brexit mob should have had a clear plan in place before bringing on the referendum, that those Brexiteers didn't even have a sketch of a plan.

Somehow, that truth stings the crap out of the great British media (which supported that decision to have referendum with all the venom it could legally muster), because it underlines the folly into which the nation has been induced, persuaded by them to dive. So far, all it has achieved is the division of families, ruined friendships and Nissan taking the opportunity to abandon a promised new post-Brexit production line in England and invest, instead, in its home base of Japan. In the meantime, Scotland looks on helplessly as its own future is put onto hold. Watch that space.

THE FOLLOWING POST IS NOT ABOUT POLITICS, IT IS ABOUT RESPECTING DEMOCRACY!

Rob I don't want the UK (as a whole and as an undivided nation) to slip off a cliff into economic oblivion either, but if I look at all the bitching and moaning across the English speaking Western regions of the globe as it appears today, then it brings to my mind a few simple questions:

1 - Do you and should we all believe in democracy?

2 - Should we respect the democratic will of the people?

3 - Was the outcome of the Trump election, Brexit referendum and the Scottish independence referendum, derived through a democratic process?

If you answered Yes to the first two, then you must agree to the third, because if you/we do not respect democracy and the democratic will of the people, as far too many people seem not to want to do these days, then that is the end of democracy and we are then heading towards dictatorship and all being controlled under totalitarian regimes.

It really is as simple as that.

Good outcomes and bad outcomes, if they are reached as part of a democratic process, then we have to swallow the result whether we like it or not, as the only alternative is rioting and blood on the streets and dictatorships. So yes the UK might well have chosen to flush itself down the toilet, but at least it chose to do it in a democratic way and yes Scotland might get dragged down with it, but at least it chose to stick to the rest of the UK in a democratic way and yes Trump might be the single most annoying man on the planet to a vast swathe of people across America and possibly the world, but at least he was put there as the result of a democratic process.

To disagree with any of the above, is simply sour grapes.

Oh and I might also add, that democratic countries that dare not ask for the democratic will of the people, because they know they wouldn't like the answer and so would have to think up a way to ignore it, is not really a democracy either!

Dave
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:04:14 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28   Go Up