Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72478 times)

jeremyrh

Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2019, 03:30:50 pm »

A very interesting article, which addresses a much more profound question - why do we click that button - than just the ones about what lens to use etc.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:01 pm »

I find it interesting that the article that was greeted so negatively has now generated considerable commentary, much of which is quite thoughtful. I find that fact encouraging.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2019, 05:50:23 pm »

I find it interesting that the article that was greeted so negatively has now generated considerable commentary, much of which is quite thoughtful. I find that fact encouraging.

Eric

Very true. To paraphrase Donald Trump who said that even bad publicity is a good publicity (it may well be that somebody else said it before him), even a negative comment might sometimes trigger new posts that turn out to be more constructive and illuminating than the previous negative comment.

The great thing about the forums is that you can never guess into what direction the original post will stray.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »

It certainly is a Changing Landscape.

RIP Luminous Landscape.

JeffS

« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:39 pm »

I have no issue with the concept of meditation and photography.  But others have written about it in more concise and relatable ways, even without a multitude of misspellings and grammatical errors....
https://www.stephenbatchelor.org/index.php/en/photography-and-meditation

And the topic can be presented in even more relatable and interesting terms, e.g., via interactive discussion, with juxtaposition of photographs...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RDatANoF2c

A live video interview would be even more engaging.

Just saying...

Jeff

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2019, 10:15:16 pm »

Video would be better, agree.

Chogyam Trungpa (despite his controversial rep) was a teacher of a few of my peers. He did writing on the creative process and consciousness/perception.

Not trying to re-invent the wheel, just rolling it along & inviting others to do so.

:)

Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

JeffS

« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:58 pm »

My comment was not about reinvention; it was about writing style and presentation format.  And about not disrespecting one’s audience by an amateurish lack of copy editing, even after repeated feedback.

Jeff

elliot_n

« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2019, 06:19:41 am »

I have no issue with the concept of meditation and photography.  But others have written about it in more concise and relatable ways, even without a multitude of misspellings and grammatical errors....
https://www.stephenbatchelor.org/index.php/en/photography-and-meditation

And the topic can be presented in even more relatable and interesting terms, e.g., via interactive discussion, with juxtaposition of photographs...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0RDatANoF2c

A live video interview would be even more engaging.

Just saying...

Jeff

Very interesting video - thanks for posting.

A couple of the collages under discussion can be seen here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/03/opinion/a-cosmos-of-found-objects.html

Rand47

« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2019, 01:01:57 pm »

Nirvana is not somewhere else to be striven for.
Samsara and Nirvana are one
 ;)

Far be it from me to teach/question you on things Buddhist (meant with sincerity), but from a layperson's perspective this comment in Wiki has me confused re your statement of Samsara and Nirvana being "one."

Human realm:[41] called the manuṣya realm.[42] Buddhism asserts that one is reborn in this realm with vastly different physical endowments and moral natures because of a being's past karma. A rebirth in this realm is considered as fortunate because it offers an opportunity to attain nirvana and end the Saṃsāra cycle.[41][48]
And:

Nirvana (निर्वाण, Sanskrit: nirvāṇa; Pali: nibbana, nibbāna) is the earliest and most common term used to describe the goal of the Buddhist path.[1] The literal meaning is "blowing out" or "quenching."[2] It is the ultimate spiritual goal in Buddhism and marks the soteriological release from rebirths in saṃsāra.[1][3] Nirvana is part of the Third Truth on "cessation of dukkha" in the Four Noble Truths,[1] and the summum bonum destination of the Noble Eightfold Path.[3]

Within the Buddhist tradition, this term has commonly been interpreted as the extinction of the "three fires",[4] or "three poisons",[5][6][note 1] passion (raga), aversion (dvesha) and ignorance (moha or avidyā).[6] When these fires are extinguished, release from the cycle of rebirth (saṃsāra) is attained.

Nirvana has also been deemed in Buddhism to be identical with anatta (non-self) and sunyata (emptiness) states.[7][8] In time, with the development of Buddhist doctrine, other interpretations were given, such as the absence of the weaving (vana) of activity of the mind,[9] the elimination of desire, and escape from the woods, cq. the five skandhas or aggregates.

Buddhist scholastic tradition identifies two types of nirvana: sopadhishesa-nirvana (nirvana with a remainder), and parinirvana or anupadhishesa-nirvana (nirvana without remainder, or final nirvana).[10] The founder of Buddhism, the Buddha, is believed to have reached both these states.[10]

And my original post was mostly in jest, based on my layperson understanding of attaining to the need of nothing as a goal.  Photography being a something.  (The goal itself perhaps seen as "something" and therefore self-defeating in formal logic.)   ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2019, 01:18:01 pm »

Who needs meditation, buddhism, nirvana, etc. when you can think inside the box instead? And here is a company to help you with that.

I would add that, if you use a sharp needle to poke a pinhole in the box, you could get a photograph projected right into your brain.

;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:23:38 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2019, 01:20:19 pm »

^ lol
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

Rand47

« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2019, 01:40:48 pm »

Who needs meditation, buddhism, nirvana, etc. when you can think inside the box instead? And here is a company to help you with that.

I would add that, if you use a sharp needle to poke a pinhole in the box, you could get a photograph projected right into your brain.

;)

Dang... that's funny.   ;D
Rand Scott Adams

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2019, 01:53:43 pm »

If it's white inside, it could be used between the thinking episodes also for product photography.

gwk

« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2019, 04:11:13 pm »

I have been an ardent reader of Lula since around 2004 and have found it to be an absolutely comprehensive resource for my purposes. I have been photographing since childhood and it has always been a serious hobby. I am now retired. (same age as Michael would have been) and photograph semi professionally and do my own printing - HPZ3100 and Epson. Lula has been an indispensable resource and support for my journey from film to digital. I have purchased many of the Videos and tutorials which were all excellently done and useful. This is my first post to the forum and probably will be my last also. I am posting because the turmoil of the past few weeks is of concern.

When Lula became a subscription site I immediately became a subscriber and continue to be one. When Kevin joined Michael made a full introduction and it was clear who he was and what his role was. Chris was always there and provided much appreciated support at all times. I thought Kevin has done an excellent job in following in some very large feet and whilst obviously a different person to Michael certainly carried Lula forward in a very nice, very enthusiastic and interesting way and has incredible experience and knowledge, which he willingly shared, and a solid track record.

At the very least, as a subscriber and customer I consider myself somewhat of a stakeholder, I felt that I was always well informed as to the direction and future of Lula. Not that we have any say in the matter but nevertheless the customer is the reason for Lula's existence as I presume it is a for profit business. (please correct me if I am wrong).

The sudden, completely out of the blue, quite vague announcement of a coup d'état at the top was startling in its unexpectedness and obfuscation. In fact the web site still shows, on some pages, Kevin as the CEO.

I have been in corporate circles all of my working life and have never seen such a botch up of regime change as this one, except perhaps in some third world backwater, and then it is usually an assassination. Regime change at the top happens and sometimes it is quite extreme, as in this case. "The king is dead, long live the king!" comes to mind. But such an amateurish transition takes the prize.

As a customer I buy your product. If I don't like it I simply buy a different one. As we know the world is full of similar web sites. Most free and many have excellent content, so the choices are abundant.

Regardless of what has transpired and is ongoing to provoke these changes both Kevin and Chris deserved much larger recognition for their work than has happened here. Also Josh and partner have never been introduced and, as already mentioned, one has no idea that Michael even had a son, let alone that he does photography. One has to dig around on the web to find out a little more.

One does probably not have to be a photographer to run such a site as Lula, but one then needs to be an excellent editor and publisher.

Lula is a very large site with much excellent content. It would be a great shame to see it fold and the content lost. Today anyone selling something needs to be in tune with ones customers, especially ethically and morally as users identify with and are identified and judged by the products they use and where they shop. This changeover has left a very bad taste in my mouth and the owners of Lula have lost a great deal of my respect. I do however find the new articles quite interesting, some somewhat long winded and esoteric though. Lets see how it goes.

Thanks Kevin and Chris for all the work you have done and I wish you both much success and the very best.

jeremyrh

« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2019, 01:32:31 am »

Gosh - I never realised that my 12 bucks entitled me to such a say in how people conduct their business!! I'd better get typing!!!

Rob C

« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2019, 01:43:37 pm »

Gosh - I never realised that my 12 bucks entitled me to such a say in how people conduct their business!! I'd better get typing!!!

:-)

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2019, 01:49:54 pm »

It is called feedback, mate :)

Rob C

« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2019, 02:25:33 pm »

It is called feedback, mate :)

My typewriter doesn't connect to my speakers.

Rob

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #318 on: February 06, 2019, 02:59:37 pm »

My typewriter doesn't connect to my speakers.

Rob
;D ;D ;D 8)
A common woman~

Ian99

« Reply #319 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:40 pm »

Check out photoPXL.com
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up