Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72551 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2018, 05:27:15 pm »

The assumption that you're joking?

Nothing in what i said in that post was joking. Simple facts. Josh business web site is offering meditation services. The quotes for Irine are from her LinkedIn profile.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2018, 05:28:56 pm »

Oh, another instance of sparring in a public forum; switch off time for me.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2018, 05:29:27 pm »

I didn't know opinions == facts in some circles ;-) Which one? You know, the random political dig and "I am just wishing people best" when even a 9 year old can see through the "funny". Old men who think they are funny are usually just funny old men, and yes, that's my opinion, not a fact.
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2018, 05:34:27 pm »

I didn't know opinions == facts in some circles...

Which of my opinions I presented as facts? In the quoted part, that is the subject of the latest exchange? Your reference to political digs does not count, as I did not present it as facts, but clearly my opinion.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »

Insulting? Which part was not factual?

I must have been reading between the lines. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that people with life experience sometimes do that.  ;)

But that's enough of that for me.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2018, 05:48:09 pm »

I must have been reading between the lines. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that people with life experience sometimes do that.  ;)...

Fair enough. So you were reading between the lines. Which part was then insulting? Stating their experience is insulting? Do I think (between the lines) that their non-existent photographic experience does not bode well for the photography-related site? Maybe I do, maybe I do not. Either way, why is that assumption "insulting"? I am open to the possibility that total outsiders might prove to be great photo-site editors, as Rob hinted. I remain doubtful, but that is not insulting.

EDIT: However, you reference to my genetic structure is personal and insulting
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:57:49 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Manoli

« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2018, 06:14:47 pm »

Suggestion to the new administration:
Limit member’s posts to a maximum of 2 a day and it’ll help preclude unhelpful interjections.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2018, 07:27:16 pm »

Suggestion to the new administration:
Limit member’s posts to a maximum of 2 a day and it’ll help preclude unhelpful interjections.

That would be a very bad idea

Two23

« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2018, 09:07:45 pm »

The assumption part?

Cheers,
Bart

Which assumption?

And......................they're off!   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h40JFH9YHM

Kent in SD,
A lesser forum member
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:13:07 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2018, 09:08:07 pm »

Do I think (between the lines) that their non-existent photographic experience does not bode well for the photography-related site? Maybe I do, maybe I do not.

So which is it? Do you or don't you?
Why the smoke screen?

Either way, you might have arguments to state your case.
If you do, why not share them?
If not, then why raise the issue(?), to begin with?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2018, 09:33:48 pm »

I once was on a forum where the owner/mod came up with a great solution for "problematic people". I think it required a custom mod of the forum software. Anyway, whenever the PP post, they could see their posts, so they think everything is working great, but no one else can. I guess it just set a global ignore. Anyway, no one engages the PP, and they eventually stop.

It's gaslighting people, so it's a bit rude, but do bring some satisfaction.
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2018, 09:35:38 pm »

So which is it? Do you or don't you?
Why the smoke screen?

Either way, you might have arguments to state your case.
If you do, why not share them?
If not, then why raise the issue(?), to begin with?

Bart, it is not like you to suddenly lose the ability to understand a simple context in English. You have cut off my full paragraph in quoting me above.

The "Maybe I do, maybe I do not" is simply a rhetorical introduction to the next sentence:

Maybe I do, maybe I do not. Either way, why is that assumption "insulting"?

In other words, I was explaining that what I personally think is irrelevant for the purpose of determining the "insulting" part, because, either way, it isn't insulting.

In any case, I did state my position, obvious from the whole paragraph: I remain doubtful that non-existing experience in the photographic world bodes well for a photo-centric web site. I do not see how "remaining doubtful" constitutes an insult.

I have not raised the issue. Several forum members raised it in prior posts. As a matter of fact, my post was in response to one such question regarding experience and qualifications of the new site owners.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2018, 09:53:09 pm »

I once was on a forum where the owner/mod came up with a great solution for "problematic people". I think it required a custom mod of the forum software. Anyway, whenever the PP post, they could see their posts, so they think everything is working great, but no one else can. I guess it just set a global ignore. Anyway, no one engages the PP, and they eventually stop.

You mean when you can not come up with logical arguments, you resort to gaslighting? Sure.

kimballistic

« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2018, 03:23:15 am »

You mean when you can not come up with logical arguments, you resort to gaslighting? Sure.

That's most definitely not gaslighting.  It's shadow banning.

Tony Ovens

« Reply #194 on: December 31, 2018, 05:53:14 am »

Perhaps it all depends on how folks use what LuLa offers.
1. I have enjoyed and benefited from the main articles (well most of them) for many years and in the days when MR was the boss, like many others I bought various 'products' to assist me getting into digital, the LR tutorials for example. I only clicked into the Forum much later.
2. Of course, once in, the Forum provides much interesting reading! I like the Coffee corner for its everything goes possibilities, I like the User Critiques, But Is it Art and Discussing Photographic Styles. I look at the pictures posted in other areas too. But I've only posted a couple of times - see later.
3. Of all the contributors I have found RobC's contributions always worth reading and worth thinking on. Here is someone with a wealth of experience in photographic practice, well read, and who it seems to me can offer rounded and grounded views that I hope he won't mind me saying, show the sort of wisdom that age can accumulate. And I always follow up his music links, great stuff!
4.There have been a few comments recently deprecating contributions from "old men". No doubt the authors of these comments could explain themselves (possibly even explain without rudeness...) For myself, falling into said category, I often think society might think a bit more kindly and with more consideration, some of the older generation may just have useful ideas to offer.
5. The current spat between a few on the Forum about the Changing Landscape seems very tedious to me. Change is inevitable everywhere and in any business changes at the top are probably best left unexplained to the punters, it is inevitably a take it or leave it situation anyway. I'm OK with the change, I like Josh's article on Michael LeBlanc. Refreshing, different, interesting.
6.Lastly, infrequency of posting should not be interpreted as indicating a lack of enthusiasm for photography, or a lack of photographic experience it might just to do with prioritizing what to do with whatever time one has left.

jeremyrh

« Reply #195 on: December 31, 2018, 06:20:37 am »

Problematic to whom? This is a chat - sometimes wanders off topic, sometimes gets excited, rarely obscures information for those seeking it. For the record, I disagree with practically everything Slobodan says (on any topic) and I suspect the feeling is mutual. I also recognise that he is a better photographer than me, and also that, whatever our differences, we choose to air opinions in the same way. I suspect that if we ever met in real life we'd get on famously.

Which is a long way of saying that the denizens of Lula have more that unites them than divides them, in which context "problematic people" aren't really a problem.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #196 on: December 31, 2018, 08:55:57 am »

Change is often good, we shall see.

For now, I want to thank the ones departing for the excellent work done, and I wish good luck to the new comers.

Krug

« Reply #197 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:23 am »

Again this thread has degenerated into personal tit-for-tat exchanges which will not do much for the quality or future of this site that we all profess to value - I realize that it is tempting much like the political exchanges of a few months ago - but could we please keep our egos in check and concentrate on photography and RELATED subjects ??

The first Josh article is an excellent start and the first substantive evidence we have of the direction of the changes after all of the supposition and speculation of the last few days .... and a good indicator that this site may be about to return to the artistic, intellectual and courteous standards that Michael originally established. I hope for much more in like vein.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

hubell

« Reply #198 on: December 31, 2018, 01:03:53 pm »

I got none, so my impression is solely based on the article and subsequent commentaries. And that impression is that we are witnessing a coup d'etat by a Young Turk.

There are a number of possibilities behind the transition here. A coup d'etat by a "young Turk" is A possibility, but there is another possibility, which is that there was an attempted coup d'etat that was resisted by the family that actually owned the business. I have seen that happen in business many times. Stuff happens in business between otherwise good and reasonable people. At the end of the day, it is really not our business to know their business. Hopefully, we can judge Josh's operation of the site on the merits over time. If you don't like it, you can vote with your wallet and save $12 per year. Taking over your father's business, particularly one as successful and ground breaking as LuLa, is a tough assignment. I wish him (and Kevin and Chris) the best.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #199 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:12 pm »

want to draw in more participants and play to a younger generation than what we presently have.

Yes. Nearly everybody here is the same as me.  Old, opinionated and boring.

I personally would like to see more photographs with an explanation of the story line, or the reason (if there is one) something that we can learn from.
Yes. More of the "why" and "how" and less of the "what".

more attention given to (stills and) motion capture...which is more difficult than people know.
Yes.

I’d love to see a more modern design, especially for the forums.

Yes.  Especially better search functionality.

More videos like the ones with Charlie Cramer.  Those were inspiring, informational and entertaining.
Less of the videos where special interests talked about gear while drinking alcohol.

Some kind of reward system for those who contribute more than acerbic and reactionary comments in the forum and who create useful articles for the site as a whole. This might inspire some of us to do more for the community and less for ourselves. 

Yes, before the pitchforks appear: as a sometime article producer for this and other sites, I know this is self-serving.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28   Go Up