Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: The Changing Landscape  (Read 72515 times)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: The Changing Landscape
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2019, 10:06:45 am »

Meditation is too close to procrastination; far from being refreshing, not much gets done. When did you last see an excited or even exciting Buddha?

Christmas Humphries was about as interesting as it got - for me. But then, he went to Cambridge. In some cases, I went to Coventry.

;-)

Rob you frequently make valuable contributions but to say meditation is close to procrastination is purest ignorance.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2019, 10:14:27 am »

Rob you frequently make valuable contributions but to say meditation is close to procrastination is purest ignorance.

Even if it's followed by a wink.

;-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2019, 10:16:37 am »

Meditation is too close to procrastination; far from being refreshing, not much gets done.

Sounds like a good match with photography then. What else is photography but one giant procrastination to getting a real job?

You should know, of all people! ;-)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2019, 10:24:36 am »

Rob C

« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »

Hey, if I'd had been a girl they'd have called me Purity! Not Virginia; that's too open to doubt and procrastination before the attempt event; meditate upon that.

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2019, 12:28:15 pm »

Hey, Slo! How come you using a photo of me without my permission??!!   >:(    :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »

Sorry to hear that Kevin and Chris are leaving. Have enjoyed all of their hard work. 
I do understand changes, however until I know exactly what is going to happen with Luminous Landscape I have stopped my auto renewal.
The annual $12 which is currently charged is defiantly a bargain, but I need to know what lies ahead with the future of this site. 

Cheers!

Stu

Rob C

« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2019, 01:40:21 pm »

Sorry to hear that Kevin and Chris are leaving. Have enjoyed all of their hard work. 
I do understand changes, however until I know exactly what is going to happen with Luminous Landscape I have stopped my auto renewal.
The annual $12 which is currently charged is defiantly a bargain, but I need to know what lies ahead with the future of this site. 

Cheers!

Stu

Stu, don't you think that your continued presence can only help keep LuLa going in the "right" direction, whatever that may mean?

If you leave, then that's one voice (vote/attitude/influence) the less in your preferred direction; quitting doesn't contribute anything positive from the quitter's point of view. They say about the lottery that you gotta be in it to win it; that principle applies across many fields, this one included.

:-)

Rob

Two23

« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2019, 02:57:44 pm »

If you leave, then that's one voice (vote/attitude/influence) the less in your preferred direction; quitting doesn't contribute anything positive from the quitter's point of view.

In the end, any internet forum is not about just one person, no matter who that may be.  It's the synergy developed from everyone as they interact.  The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Kent in SD,
A lesser forum member
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2019, 03:35:13 pm »

I did not read the whole thread but I perceived the usual behavior in the face of change: Good and bad, understanding and dubitativeness.
It's like that and it's normal.

For my part, I have always respected and greatly appreciated Michael and his inimitable style and was affected by his passing like everybody here. I also appreciate the familly buisness and I wanted to express a big "welcome" to Josh, Irene and the new team.

This domain is legendary and will continue to be.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2019, 04:40:12 pm »

Suggestion to the new administration:
Limit member’s posts to a maximum of 2 a day and it’ll help preclude unhelpful interjections.

I don't believe there is a way of doing that; and I would reject it even if there were.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:04 pm »

Just in passing: I do hope that Jeremy remains as a moderator.

He has done a sterling job since he took responsibility, and his occupation as a legal eagle gives him - I like to believe, as one of my granddaughters is one too - a good sense of proportion and perspective. 

Thank you, Rob. I'm going nowhere.

Jeremy

Gerner

« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2019, 10:10:02 am »

Thank you, Rob. I'm going nowhere.

Jeremy

Good you are staying Jeremy.

My nose tells me, despite all what was mentioned and what were not, that LuLa will make a turn to the left leaving the straight road it has been on for quite a while. I am of course not clairvoyant, but I am very sad what happened. Just seeing the selections of articles since the shift, I am afraid that photographers will not be frequent fliers on the site anymore, but just visitors of the resort.

At least I can say for myself meaning my subscription will stop despite it's peanuts we are talking about. It's a signal I am sending.

I wish LuLa all well in the future.

Cheers
Gerner

Rob C

« Reply #233 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:27 pm »

Good you are staying Jeremy.

My nose tells me, despite all what was mentioned and what were not, that LuLa will make a turn to the left leaving the straight road it has been on for quite a while. I am of course not clairvoyant, but I am very sad what happened. Just seeing the selections of articles since the shift, I am afraid that photographers will not be frequent fliers on the site anymore, but just visitors of the resort.

At least I can say for myself meaning my subscription will stop despite it's peanuts we are talking about. It's a signal I am sending.

I wish LuLa all well in the future.

Cheers
Gerner

Gerner, give it a few months to find its new feet; it took me a couple of years to find mine when I stared my little business in photography: I swung from one desperate stance to another until the day I saw the light and put all of the few remaining eggs into one solitary basket and found, to my surprise and relief, that instead of giving me a cold omelette, the mother had grown wings!

These are very early days.

Rob

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2019, 09:54:12 am »

Two weeks without visiting the site and everything changes... my concerns from this change were already expressed by a lot of people in this thread, so no point to reiterate them.

I want to wish the leaving LuLa staff members my best wishes in their new endeavors. I learned a lot thanks to them and I hope them the best...

Best wishes to the new management team...

Regards,

David

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2019, 10:43:09 am »

I've just voted with my wallet - yes, I know, big deal, $12 - but it's something I've never had to do before as I've always had full access to the site.

I give thanks to the old and welcome the new.

timo

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2019, 08:26:45 am »

Seems more like a landslide to me.  Something is very odd about this sudden, previously unannounced sea change.  Why no hint of this from Kevin or Chris?  No “introduction” of Josh by the existing crew?   Something is rotten in Denmark, me thinks.

Rand

If Kevin has indeed left, I think his departure and his contribution over the years could have been marked a bit more generously than the brief, formulaic, corporatespeak mention that he actually got.  Gives the impression that the transition was not totally amicable, which is a bit sad, if true.

wwlee

• William Lee Photography
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2019, 11:23:58 am »

I've been a member for around 5 yrs (going from memory). I was thrilled when I discovered LuLa because my passion in photography was landscape, and here was a site all about the adventure, the passion, the beauty and tranquility of nature, which activity (hiking and landscape photography) was my go-to when I wanted to escape from the pressures of life.... my zen.  I also greatly enjoy discussions of equipment and software with focus on creating great landscape photography and prints.  I didn't mind in the slightest when they started charging a nominal subscription fee because, if that's what it took to sustain a site I loved, then I'd gladly contribute.  It was sad when Michael passed, but the site continued under Kevin, although with a slightly different personal style and an evolution in focus in the content and the business model. 

I was a little shocked and definitely put off by the handling of the transition over the holidays.  Coming from the corporate world and having seen many changes in leadership, this was handled very poorly.  That's been discussed ad nauseum, so I won't dwell on it.  My concern now is the new leadership seems to have little to no background in landscape photography nor in running a business, which - combined with the poor transition and what looks like may be a major shift editorially - doesn't bode well for the site relative to what I've enjoyed.  It's only been a few weeks, but thus far I don't care for several of the articles or the editorial content dwelling on things like the philosophy of photography or wierd (IMO) people photos, for example.  It may appeal to others, but it's too "artsy fartsy" for my taste and is a million miles from what originally attracted me to LuLa.  (I don't say "artsy fartsy" to insult others who like that stuff... I just don't have another way of describing that type of writing/discussion.) So, with a bit of sadness, I wait to see how things evolve and hope they turn back to the passion and adventure for landscape photography. In case it doesn't, though, I too have put my subscription on hold so I don't accidentally renew in the future.

josh.reichmann

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: January 12, 2019, 12:04:52 pm »

I wait to see how things evolve and hope they turn back to the passion and adventure for landscape photography. .

Thanks, wwlee,

Landscape photography and the passion for it will certainly remain a fundamental focus. My own "artsy or weird" contributions will not be the only or even loudest ones. I wish I could be more transparent about the background of this transition, it remains a sensitive and personal issue. This is to protect all parties. I am sorry if that causes consternation for yourself or anyone who has been left frustrated by this shift. I feel that loyal readers in many ways are correct for demanding more explanation. For the time being, I've said all that I can.

I hope you'll check in to see where the new direction takes us in bridging the old with the new in ways which keep Lula's spirit more than intact, but rather reanimated!

Thank you.

Josh
Compassion and wisdom are inextricably linked.

donsandersonroofing

« Reply #239 on: January 15, 2019, 05:13:13 pm »

Lighten up Dude!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Up