Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Durham cathedral  (Read 5267 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Durham cathedral
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 10:18:11 am »

I did really like the article and intend no disrespect to its author. In fact, quire is quite a nice spelling - I'm glad to have learnt it!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:51 am »

I would have thought it was perfectly obvious. As a native English speaker (maybe that is our difference?) that was my feeling as I read the entire article and kept stopping at the words "Naïve" and "Quire". Huh, is that deliberate, does it mean something I should understand, was it indeed American English, or is it the curse of dictation software? Once or twice, no big deal, but this print was covered with uncorrected naïves and dozens of quires which may have belonged in the scene but still looked like dust spots too. Puzzlement doesn't usually aid comprehension or enhance appreciation.

I see your point, it ended up distracting you. As Portuguese, with a good comprehension of English, I found the "strange" words (and the explanation of their origin) provided and extra motive of interest. And in good agreement with the medieval topic.

edwardoo

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:26 pm »

The most archaic part of the article is reference to British Rail :-)

edwardoo

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 02:09:43 pm »

I would have thought it was perfectly obvious. As a native English speaker (maybe that is our difference?) that was my feeling as I read the entire article and kept stopping at the words "Naïve" and "Quire". Huh, is that deliberate, does it mean something I should understand, was it indeed American English, or is it the curse of dictation software? Once or twice, no big deal, but this print was covered with uncorrected naïves and dozens of quires which may have belonged in the scene but still looked like dust spots too. Puzzlement doesn't usually aid comprehension or enhance appreciation.
i agree

John R

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:13 pm »

Thanks for this article, enjoyed it very much.
For some reason I can't find this article you mention. the search feature does bring it up. So where can I find Durham Cathedral article?

Thanks, JR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up