Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Durham cathedral  (Read 2637 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Durham cathedral
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 10:18:11 am »

I did really like the article and intend no disrespect to its author. In fact, quire is quite a nice spelling - I'm glad to have learnt it!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:51 am »

I would have thought it was perfectly obvious. As a native English speaker (maybe that is our difference?) that was my feeling as I read the entire article and kept stopping at the words "Na´ve" and "Quire". Huh, is that deliberate, does it mean something I should understand, was it indeed American English, or is it the curse of dictation software? Once or twice, no big deal, but this print was covered with uncorrected na´ves and dozens of quires which may have belonged in the scene but still looked like dust spots too. Puzzlement doesn't usually aid comprehension or enhance appreciation.

I see your point, it ended up distracting you. As Portuguese, with a good comprehension of English, I found the "strange" words (and the explanation of their origin) provided and extra motive of interest. And in good agreement with the medieval topic.

edwardoo

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2019, 01:16:26 pm »

The most archaic part of the article is reference to British Rail :-)

edwardoo

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2019, 02:09:43 pm »

I would have thought it was perfectly obvious. As a native English speaker (maybe that is our difference?) that was my feeling as I read the entire article and kept stopping at the words "Na´ve" and "Quire". Huh, is that deliberate, does it mean something I should understand, was it indeed American English, or is it the curse of dictation software? Once or twice, no big deal, but this print was covered with uncorrected na´ves and dozens of quires which may have belonged in the scene but still looked like dust spots too. Puzzlement doesn't usually aid comprehension or enhance appreciation.
i agree

John R

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2019, 11:04:13 pm »

Thanks for this article, enjoyed it very much.
For some reason I can't find this article you mention. the search feature does bring it up. So where can I find Durham Cathedral article?

Thanks, JR
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up