Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 3530 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Just curious
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »

but on another forum I got into a pissing contest with a wedding photographer and some of his supporters who feel it is okay to have blown highlights and clogged blacks because that is "artistic" license. I called BS and perhaps a bit too loudly but it flies in the face of everything I've learned here and from my own personal experience.

What say youse guys?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Just curious
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 01:35:20 pm »

Without seeing it, hard to say. But if the resulting image justifies it, I would have no problem with "blown highlights and clogged blacks."

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 01:40:21 pm »

but on another forum I got into a pissing contest with a wedding photographer and some of his supporters who feel it is okay to have blown highlights and clogged blacks because that is "artistic" license. I called BS and perhaps a bit too loudly but it flies in the face of everything I've learned here and from my own personal experience.

What say youse guys?

Blown highlights and clogged blacks allergy is a photo club syndrome.

There is no rule here. In one picture it ruins the images, in another it supports the image.

The compulsiveness to inspect each photo in search of clogged blacks and blown highlights is loss of time.

Of coarse, ugly clipped color channels are something else than deliberately placed exposure near to II or VII.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »

All depends on the mood, circumstances and surroundings:

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 03:03:41 pm »

Rob, please some more “clogged” blacks ;)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:39:11 pm »

Rob, please some more “clogged” blacks ;)

But Slobodan, though they still live in the freezer, I can't get any more Kodachromes processed!

:-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 03:39:57 pm »

I think you've had the only answer anyone can give: "it depends". I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, and in the hands of a photographer less skilled than Rob, they'll look bloody awful, but I don't imagine there's a firm rule.

Jeremy

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 04:10:27 pm »

Another model with clogged blacks

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 04:28:45 pm »

Les's image is a near night shot and I would expect solid blacks...but in a daylight, full sun environment, I would not.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 04:43:31 pm »

Les's image is a near night shot and I would expect solid blacks...but in a daylight, full sun environment, I would not.

It can be very expressive though...

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 04:50:44 pm »

IMO "soot & chalk" works when it works.  ;D

-Dave-

Two23

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 06:01:34 pm »

But Slobodan, though they still live in the freezer, I can't get any more Kodachromes processed!

:-)

Have them processed as b&w.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 06:21:52 pm »

I would agree that it depends, and more often than not, I personally prefer crushed blacks over blown highlights.

Having said that, there is a trend in wedding photography to use natural light exclusively, which leads to challenging lighting situations, especially in interiors, where it is almost impossible to avoid those issues

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:35 pm »

I think what the difference is, is the intent...maybe I'm just too much a perfectionist when it comes to blown highlights. I just can't tolerate them. Bad on me, I guess.

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 08:04:19 pm »

My knee jerk reaction is to not have 'em, because I was raised on a steady diet of Adams. But when I put my mind to it, I don't mind 'em if they don't distract, or are part of the point. I am incredibly slapdash with exposure these days, because digital lets me commit almost infinite wickedness without anyone knowing.

If it's any comfort, the other chap's pictures are ridiculous, twee, mawkish junk, AND he's got no control over his tone curve. He's blowing highlights left and right because he doesn't know any better. The bride's dress would look much better if he knew how to place tones.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »

Although I'm a stickler for NOT getting blown highlights and try my best to prevent blocked shadows, there may be reasons for having them, but they better be darned convincing. It sounds to me the other guy is trying to find excuses for lack of skill.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 02:33:05 am »

Would anyone worry if the image was a painting?

Ivophoto

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 02:38:28 am »

Would anyone worry if the image was a painting?

The peoples who poke the nose in the canvas while looking to it, maybe.

Ivophoto

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 03:40:54 am »

What say youse guys?

Just curious, are they still pissing? Or did you win?

Ivophoto

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 03:43:03 am »

My knee jerk reaction is to not have 'em, because I was raised on a steady diet of Adams. But when I put my mind to it, I don't mind 'em if they don't distract, or are part of the point. I am incredibly slapdash with exposure these days, because digital lets me commit almost infinite wickedness without anyone knowing.

If it's any comfort, the other chap's pictures are ridiculous, twee, mawkish junk, AND he's got no control over his tone curve. He's blowing highlights left and right because he doesn't know any better. The bride's dress would look much better if he knew how to place tones.

Ha, wedding photography is probably on of the disciplines where clogged black and blown out whites are a sign of incompetence.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up