Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just curious  (Read 3551 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Just curious
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 05:53:26 pm »

Her dress looks fine to me. I don't see a 'lack of tonal control'.

+1

Do not see any blown highlights on her dress, except where they belong (e.g. shot #3)

amolitor

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »

To my eye, Tang has a preset that he uses that creates some sort of a look that he (and his clients) like, which does awful things to the upper tones. In the cited thread, he's made her dress look weirdly dingy while at the same time losing detail in, as noted, #3. While it's possible that would have been impossible to recover, I find it at least reasonable that he could have brought back a touch of texture. The attentive eye will note that the flowers on the dress are, while not featureless white blobs, consistently blown out to a substantial degree.

I base my overall judgement of Tang on somewhat sloppier work he's done:

http://www.jamestangphotography.com/a-dreamy-forest-wedding-inspiration-shoot-at-skypark-santas-village-james-tang-photography/

is a maze of blown out everythings. The white roses are rendered as featureless blobs of white for no particular reason, over and over, the dress is ruined in almost every shot. The detail shot of the rose on the wooden background blows the rose apart for no apparent reason.

While it's possible that the photos shown on that forum are necessarily that way, he's got a track record of consistently failing to manage his highlights in  anything like a reasonable way, so when I see yet more blown highlights, and more crummy looking upper-mids, I am going to cry foul and say "crappy preset" rather than "aesthetic choice" or "technically impossible"

His attitude seems to boil down to "they pay me, so what else matters?"

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:02:26 pm by amolitor »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »

... The attentive eye will note that the flowers on the dress are, while not featureless white blobs, consistently blown out to a substantial degree...

Hmmm...

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2018, 04:07:22 am »

+1

Do not see any blown highlights on her dress, except where they belong (e.g. shot #3)

Me neither. The only thing I would question is the colour of the groom's suit, which I'm not sure if that's the real colour or the result of post-processing. I'm wondering if the OP is using a calibrated monitor

Ivophoto

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2018, 04:49:15 am »

Me neither. The only thing I would question is the colour of the groom's suit, which I'm not sure if that's the real colour or the result of post-processing. I'm wondering if the OP is using a calibrated monitor

I also had the impression it was a Leica M8 shot. But the collar of the suit is black. I guess it is correct.

So far I see: good wedding photography and a lot to do about nothing.

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2018, 04:53:59 am »

Naughty little arrow Slobodan; atavistic thinking?

;-)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2018, 06:34:27 am »

Such effect is a lot easier to achieve with a Canon DLSR, who lack DR.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2018, 02:33:34 pm »

I guess it is just me...but it is a style I do not care for.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 01:31:39 pm »

I agree that it depends. I used to bin any shot with blown highlights until I discovered that sometimes that can make a compelling image.
A lot of the time it's a distraction, but not always. I still try to avoid clipping at either end of the histogram when I shoot as I can always clog or blow in post if I feel the image might benefit.
-MattB
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up