Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Mexican Wall  (Read 27030 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The Great Mexican Wall
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2018, 07:49:34 am »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2018, 09:22:01 am »

Nope, The Illuminati

Aw man, not them again.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2018, 09:46:22 am »

there was a large sign outside of Trenton NJ that was visible from the train when we would go up to New York for a visit, "Trenton makes, the World takes."  Alas, this is no longer true.  The best way to stop the imbalance in the drug trade is to fully decriminalize it and eliminate the vast profits that can be made.  I'm curious whether the current trend in the states to decriminalizing marijuana will have any impact on the use of other drugs.

You focus on the wrong factor.

Forget money for a second; consider the ruined lives instead.

Do you really, really believe that if drugs were freely and cheaply available in the local chemist or tobaconist shops, free of dangers from arrest or violence, that the number of folks who would never get out of bed short of crawling out to buy some more junk, would not increase dramatically?

The only way to beat the drugs business is to be serious, arrest the fat cats whose identities I am sure are known to the powers that be, arrest the users and blame them, not give them hugs and more free, alternative crap to divert the dependency to something else. Those dickheads bring it on themselves, and can hardly plead ignorance! As Russ recently pointed out, modern folks don't like to use the word criminal when describing people who commit crime.

As with everything commercial: remove the market and the product vanishes.

America makes so many guns; use them to achieve, at last, some ultimate good!

(Almost time for another Q.E.D.)

Rob

jeremyrh

« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2018, 09:50:32 am »

No one cares about his hyperbolic salesmanship and marketing strategies.  His supporters care about results and that he's keeping his word and being truthful to his pre-election policy objectives. 

“I will tell you what has carried me to the position I have reached. Our political problems appeared complicated. The  people could make nothing of them… I…reduced them to the simplest terms. The masses realised this and followed me.”

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2018, 10:10:09 am »

Economics are totally above my paid grade, so here goes a genuine question. Chinese economy is based primarily on manufacturing. US economy seems to be based on the service industries and on consumption. China makes, US uses. How do you balance that? Would it not require the US not being such a consumer. Don’t buy that new phone, stick with the old TV or toaster for a while longer. Columbia produces cocaine, they sell it it to the US, how would you balance that? Stopping consumption I would assume.

Like I say. Above my pay grade.

While the number of people employed in manufacturing has declined, the percent of manufacturing to total GDP has been constant.  This is due to automation.  Another example is farming.  Over hundred years ago, 95% of the people were farmers and required to feed the US population.  Today, due to automation, tractors, fertilizer, etc. only 5-10% is required.  So automation has freed up farmers and manufacturing employees to pursue other trades, mainly in the service industries.  Check the chart in this link.
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/us-manufacturing-past-and-potential-future-baily-bosworth.pdf

But regardless of the number of employees, we still produce stuff and we want to be able to sell our goods into all countries.  China has imposed tariffs that make it harder for us to sell into their country while we do not apply the same tariffs to their goods.  Trump is adding tariffs on Chinese goods hopefully to force them to lower their tariffs so we can compete more fairly.

Additionally, China has been stealing our intellectual property.  Trump and previous presidents wanted them to stop.  So Trump is using tariffs as a way to force the issue since they have refused to stop stealing our creativity.  It would help you sell your photos to Chinese buyers.  :)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2018, 10:38:31 am »

Do you really, really believe that if drugs were freely and cheaply available in the local chemist or tobaconist shops, free of dangers from arrest or violence, that the number of folks who would never get out of bed short of crawling out to buy some more junk, would not increase dramatically?

The only way to beat the drugs business is to be serious, arrest the fat cats whose identities I am sure are known to the powers that be, arrest the users and blame them, not give them hugs and more free, alternative crap to divert the dependency to something else. Those dickheads bring it on themselves, and can hardly plead ignorance! As Russ recently pointed out, modern folks don't like to use the word criminal when describing people who commit crime.

(Almost time for another Q.E.D.)

Rob

We already have to drive on roads with drunk drivers.  Does anyone believe that adding stoned drivers is going to make driving safer?  The new Democrat governor in my state New Jersey is pushing to legalize pot.  He's looking to run for president and wants to be seen as a liberal-progressive.  What a jerk.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2018, 10:42:02 am »

Perhaps but I envision a government tax on sales that would be used to provide addiction treatment for those who want it.

The only way to beat the drugs business is to be serious, arrest the fat cats whose identities I am sure are known to the powers that be, arrest the users and blame them, not give them hugs and more free, alternative crap to divert the dependency to something else. Those dickheads bring it on themselves, and can hardly plead ignorance!
We know full well who is responsible for the prescription opioid epidemic yet have done nothing to stop it.  this should have been the easiest case of all since the drugs are already regulated for sale in the US.

this is too humorous.  President Nixon declared a war on illegal drug use back in 1971 (when usage was mainly pot; cocaine and methamphetamine came much later, heroin was always a niche drug).  It's estimated that the US has spent $1 trillion during this time to little effect.  Sentencing guidelines have led to overcrowding in US prisons and there is no proof that this deterrence has worked.  A fuller discussion of this is on the good Wikipedia page (open to all and no paywall):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_on_drugs

Shoot all the drug users?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:01 am »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:31 am »

We already have to drive on roads with drunk drivers.  Does anyone believe that adding stoned drivers is going to make driving safer?  The new Democrat governor in my state New Jersey is pushing to legalize pot.  He's looking to run for president and wants to be seen as a liberal-progressive.  What a jerk.
You don't want marijuana legalized?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:56 am »

The Masons?

Warm, warm... in the sense you got the first letter right ;)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:11 am »

You don't want marijuana legalized?

No. Not for recreational use.   If some of its ingredients have medical advantages, then those should be utilized.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #151 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:23 am »

“I will tell you what has carried me to the position I have reached. Our political problems appeared complicated. The  people could make nothing of them… I…reduced them to the simplest terms. The masses realised this and followed me.”

Another reference to Hitler.

jeremyrh

« Reply #152 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:43 am »

Another reference to Hitler.
Well, if Trump can adopt Mussolini's slogans ("drenare la palude"), it seems appropriate.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #153 on: July 11, 2018, 10:57:48 am »

Well, if Trump can adopt Mussolini's slogans ("drenare la palude"), it seems appropriate.

There you go again.  Now Jeremy is going to shut down this thread because you called Trump both Hitler and Mussolini.  Can't you control, yourself? Do us all a favor and delete your posts referencing these two despots.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #154 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:19 am »

In fairness this is only half true:  http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/may/09/madeleine-albright/madeleine-albright-right-about-mussolini-and-drain/  It was never said by Mussolini.

jeremyrh

« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:54 am »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #156 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:13 am »

In fairness this is only half true:  http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/may/09/madeleine-albright/madeleine-albright-right-about-mussolini-and-drain/  It was never said by Mussolini.
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright who compared Trump to Mussolini and Hitler was the person who also said:" there's a special place in hell for women who don't vote for Hillary".  What a buffoon.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #157 on: July 11, 2018, 12:00:35 pm »

Good for you, Alan. You're being very polite.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #158 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:49 pm »

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright who compared Trump to Mussolini and Hitler was the person who also said:" there's a special place in hell for women who don't vote for Hillary".  What a buffoon.
One could say the same about Sarah Palin who fell for Sascha Baron Cohen's ruse and now is trying to blame it on him!

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #159 on: July 11, 2018, 12:56:03 pm »

While this quote is ascribed to he who shall not be mentioned, it also has been paraphrased in a lot of different ways over the years.  The 'buffoon' referred to by Alan Klein in another post has a new book out on Fascism and she uses the quote in THIS INTERVIEW.  I'll point out that there is truth in some of the things Albright says in the interview.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up