Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Great Mexican Wall  (Read 27015 times)

Rob C

Re: The Great Mexican Wall
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2018, 10:58:41 am »

I am happy enough with music on motorways, but whenever I have to park alongside, by reversing parallel against kerbs, the sound is right off!

Perhaps in an old-design car, designed to let one see the corners again, this would never have become necessary.

Actually, I believe that using a 'phone whilst driving is madness. I have realised that even glancing and reaching quickly down to use the heating controls is enough to change the direction in which one is steering.

Distraction is very bad for everyone's survival chance.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2018, 11:03:03 am »

I'm pretty sure that it has Bluetooth as all Honda cars (Acura is a Honda brand) do these days.  It's also likely that it has controls on the steering wheel to answer your phone if you get a call (my 2017 Honda has this).  You can use Google maps to provide vocal navigation and really not have to look at the phone.  You can also get adapters to mount the phone on the console so you could see it if need be.  I don't know what other features you might need.
If there's no Android Auto, you'll have to touch the cell phone at some point while navigating and that's illegal. Am I suppose to pull off the road to tap it when Google Maps asks me if I want to switch to a faster route based on changes in traffic?   In any case, why would I spend thousands of dollars on a new car and have to fiddle around?  My wife uses an Apple iPhone and I use an Android Galaxy.  So we need both Apple Play and Android Auto.  Some cars have both, but not many.  If Acura adds Android as they said they would, then I'll consider buying it.  Meanwhile I'll wait. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2018, 11:04:30 am »

I am happy enough with music on motorways, but whenever I have to park alongside, by reversing parallel against kerbs, the sound is right off!

Perhaps in an old-design car, designed to let one see the corners again, this would never have become necessary.

Actually, I believe that using a 'phone whilst driving is madness. I have realised that even glancing and reaching quickly down to use the heating controls is enough to change the direction in which one is steering.

Distraction is very bad for everyone's survival chance.

Chicks in hot shorts during the summer are a distraction too. 

Rob C

« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2018, 11:16:12 am »

Don't let them sit next to you as you drive, and you should be okay!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2018, 11:44:16 am »

Don't let them sit next to you as you drive, and you should be okay!

My wife would kill me.

Farmer

« Reply #265 on: July 18, 2018, 03:49:37 pm »

Phil, we have similar restrictions in the US but these are done at the state and not the national level.  there are large penalties associated with wrongful use but I still see lots of people using their phones in an unsafe manner while driving.  My phone synchs up via Bluetooth in my Honda but it's still awkward to use while driving as the controls on the steering wheel are not intuitive (perhaps with use they would be but I don't get many calls on my mobile).  Because cellular phones have a time signature if they are in use, the police 'should' be able to identify a driver involved in an accident as in violation of the law.

I still see people doing the wrong thing here, but there's a huge campaign going on at the moment.  Road rules are also state matters here, but there is a federal model that they follow to maintain consistency.

To answer a call, I press the "OK" button on my steering wheel.  To make a call, I press the "Voice" button and tell Google who to call (like "Call Alan's mobile").  If I want to send a message, I hit the voice button and say, "Send a message to Alan on his mobile" and it then asks me what I want to say and then reads it back to me and then sends it.  The phrasing doesn't have to be exactly what I've written, anything similar is fine.  An incoming message can be read to me if I click OK at the time it's received.  I have no option to read it on a screen or send one by typing, through Android Auto.  Not all systems are like that, but that's where the best ones are headed.

Still, just talking hands free on a phone IS distracting, and anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves.  Ideally, calls are short or if the traffic is particularly bad or it's raining and night time and so on, I'll often tell people I'll call them back.  If it's critically urgent, make it super quick or I can just pull over (I've had to do that a couple of times for work related matters).  Similarly, I often tell people I'll call them back if I call and they're in their cars.

My other pet peeve is people who hang things from their rear vision mirrors or who mount phone cradles that obscure their vision out of the windscreen.  Both are technically illegal here but not well enough enforced.

Driving is not easy (and I had 20,000km under my belt on my learner's permit as a just-turned-17-year-old when I took my test to get a provisional licence, having driven from Darwin to Sydney via Perth (Google maps for reference) plus huge all the other city, suburban, and rural driving.  I was very lucky.  If you get too blase or take it for granted, then accidents happen.  I enjoy driving - in good conditions it's fantastic - but always take it seriously and understand it requires application.
Phil Brown

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #266 on: July 18, 2018, 04:54:07 pm »

Good comments Phil.  I only answer a phone call from my wife in case it might be an emergency and don't make any outgoing calls while driving.  Text messages can wait until I am parked.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #267 on: July 18, 2018, 04:56:30 pm »

I always do a slide shows with video clips of my vacations.  I add music and narration etc, title, credits, etc, and play it in 4K on my UHDTV.  It's really great. My last trip turned out to be my first road trip where I planned the video show.  It was to the American Southwest in April.  I visited all the National Parks.   So I used short video clips as I drove from park to park which were then incorporated in the slide show.  It required that I drive steering with my right hand and holding the 1" P&S camera with my left hand or vice versa.  I aimed the camera through the windshield in front of the steering wheel in 24mm wide angle mode.  It got a little dicey at times.  Especially when we were on turns near cliffs and there weren't any guardrails.  I finally chickened out and put a bean bag on the dashboard and set the camera there.  It worked brilliantly.  Steady as a rock and I only had to start and stop it.   That freed up my second hand so I could eat an ice cream cone. 

Here's a sample clip but this one we had to actually stop in the middle of the road to let the cattle pass on the way to Dead Horse Point State Park near Canyonlands in Utah.  I was holding the camera.  Not on the bean bag. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanklein2000/41087103295/in/album-72157694819890421/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #268 on: July 18, 2018, 05:52:01 pm »

...  That freed up my second hand so I could eat an ice cream cone...

Haha... that’s a good one. Reminds me of a joke. A traffic cop, spotting a driver driving with only one hand on the wheel, while the other was hugging his girlfriend, shouted: “Both hands, sir, both hands!” The driver responded: “I can’t ... I have to drive.”

JaapD

« Reply #269 on: July 23, 2018, 05:10:27 am »

True. Even more so during the winter ;-)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up