Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159548 times)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018
« Reply #1500 on: January 03, 2019, 12:05:58 am »

Judging from the quality of the first 3, the 14-30 f4 should be a landscape photographer’s dream lens.

Cheers,
Bernard

And a videographer’s. If it is a match in sharpness and focus performance to the Zeiss 16-35 f4 for emount, I’ll be a happy man. I own an A7r3 solely so I can fly that lens on a small gimbal.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

jeremyrh

« Reply #1501 on: January 03, 2019, 08:56:05 am »

A more detailed view of Nikon’s Z roadmap.

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/12/31/rumored-nikon-z-mirrorless-lenses-2019-release-schedule.aspx/

Seems just about perfect to me.

Despite the moaning about how the first Z lenses are not fast, I am actually a bit disappointed that there is no 70-200 f/4 - would have been a good backpacking lens. Of course a more compact 70-200 f/2.8 will also be welcome, but it is pretty chunky.

(However, my first purchase will be the 85 f/1.8, as my current "cream machine" won't autofocus on the Z7 )

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1502 on: January 03, 2019, 09:35:51 am »

Do you expect a Z-mount 70-200 F4 to be significantly smaller than the current F-mount 70-200 F4 with the FTZ adapter?

jeremyrh

« Reply #1503 on: January 03, 2019, 09:58:02 am »

Do you expect a Z-mount 70-200 F4 to be significantly smaller than the current F-mount 70-200 F4 with the FTZ adapter?
I would have thought so, on the basis that the 24-70 Z mount f/4 is quite a bit smaller than the F mount f/2.8, but maybe my assumption is incorrect. (I have the 70-200 f/4 and the Z mount 2.8 is said to be a similar size)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1504 on: January 03, 2019, 11:47:09 am »

I am pretty sure that we will get a 70-200 f4 soon enough, but it’s not obvious which lens on the roadmap could be replace by one.

I believe that Nikon wanted to have first a Fuji like line up of top quality pretty compact f1.8 primes + f4 normal/wide zooms, and that makes total sense for upper mid range compact mirrorless bodies like the Z7 and Z6.

Pro zooms will then match a higher specced body and were mandatory too.

Cheers,
Bernard

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #1505 on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:49 pm »

A quality 70-300 4-5.6 would be quite nice for landscape / nature.  Right now using the 70-200 f4 with FTZ adapter works.  How much smaller would a 70-200 f4 Z lens really be compared to what is available now? 

Dan Wells

« Reply #1506 on: January 03, 2019, 06:42:06 pm »

Maybe what I was remembering about the Moonrise neg (from a John Sexton lecture years ago) is that it would print black without a huge amount of darkroom help. The neg is essentially featureless at first glance, but it may well be 3-4 stops under instead of over...

Dan Wells

« Reply #1507 on: January 03, 2019, 06:45:10 pm »

I agree that a quality variable-aperture tele (lighter than the most recent F-mount 70-300 plus the FTZ, and equal or better in image quality) is a real priority for the Z -system (and my one real disappointment in the roadmap is that it isn't yet showing up).

BJL

« Reply #1508 on: January 03, 2019, 07:40:36 pm »

A quality 70-300 4-5.6 would be quite nice for landscape / nature.  Right now using the 70-200 f4 with FTZ adapter works.  How much smaller would a 70-200 f4 Z lens really be compared to what is available now?
I agree that one good way to offer a lighter kit for “mobile photography” (hiking, etc) is to offer slower but wider ranging zooms like 24-100/4 or 24-100/2.8-4 and then 75-300 or 100-300 at maybe f/4-5.6 or a bit faster. Individually bulkier than 24-70/4 and 70-200/4, but often allowing one to carry fewer lenses to keep total kit bulk down (and need fewer lens changes, or fewer bodies to have all focal lengths rapidly available) We should no longer be slaves to the high end lens focal length range and f-stop specs that fit with the far lower usable speeds of film.

P. S. At 70mm and up, I do not expect that a mirrorless design would be smaller than an SLR lens design: the rear elements of an “optimal” design are probably far enough from the focal plane that it is fine for an SLR too.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #1509 on: January 05, 2019, 08:13:15 am »

I find the roadmap super boring. Probably correct and important for many, but to get me interested it would need to be much more creative or let’s say smaller. Excellent f4 zooms, something longer also small and light. I would never consider getting a small camera for such big lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1510 on: January 05, 2019, 10:50:57 am »

I also find the roadmap not that interesting... But i do not know the outcome.
For instance a 70-200 f2.8;  will it be smaller and lighter than the ones we have, can Nikon put fase-fresnel optics in more lenses than tele?

I would like to see f2.8 fixed focal lenses with qualities: small, light and stellar.
They can be made for a reaonable price considering f2.8 means 1/4 of the surface of f1.4.
Af could be very fast for the same reason.
a 14mm , a 18mm, a 24mm, a 35mm, a 50mm , a 85mm come to mind.
+ a new macro 85-105mm f4.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1511 on: January 05, 2019, 05:19:04 pm »

I find the roadmap super boring. Probably correct and important for many, but to get me interested it would need to be much more creative or let’s say smaller. Excellent f4 zooms, something longer also small and light. I would never consider getting a small camera for such big lenses.

The 24-70 f4 is both compact and excellent.

In fact when I compare in A1 prints the image quality I am getting from the Z7 + 24-7mm f4 handheld to that I am getting from the H6D-100c with a top H lens such as the 50mm II on tripod... I am wondering why I bother...

The H lens alone costs the same as the Nikon combo.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 06:20:15 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #1512 on: January 06, 2019, 04:27:14 am »

One reason I never bothered with the H and prefer the big black Dinosaurus. ;)

The 24-70 is a great start, but I would need to have big weight and size reduction to get a FF camera again. Give me a traveling or hiking combo that has around 75Mp and great f4 lenses. Before that happens I find the phase and Fuji a lot more appealing even if I have to carry a few kg more up the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1513 on: January 06, 2019, 04:34:47 am »

One aspect that hasn't been discussed yet anywhere is the sensor dust, reported till date as being a major annoyance of mirrorless vs DSLRs.

I am happy to report that Nikon has seemingly done a great job on this.

I am just back from a week in New Caledonia where I have changed lenses several dozens of times in a super demanding environment where sea, sand and wind were around us 100% of the time... and I haven't seen a single dust spot in the 3,000 images I shot.

As often, we don't speak about non issues without realizing the tremendous amount of engineering that has gone in the design to ensure we wouldn't have to talk about it.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #1514 on: January 06, 2019, 07:41:37 am »

One aspect that hasn't been discussed yet anywhere is the sensor dust, reported till date as being a major annoyance of mirrorless vs DSLRs....

Nikon as well as Fuji and others have put the protection glass at some distance of the sensor to make certain dust does not cast sharp shadows on the sensor.
Also it makes it more easy to clean it. (The coverglass is often made of plastic so it is vulnerable)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

hogloff

« Reply #1515 on: January 06, 2019, 09:51:12 am »

What in the design of the Z7 makes it less prone to sensor dust. The Canon R has a cover that goes across the sensor when a lens is removed which seems like a great innovation...but is there anything in the Z7 that helps alleviate sensor dust.

If not, then dust will be an issue just like any other digital camera.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1516 on: January 06, 2019, 04:15:59 pm »

What in the design of the Z7 makes it less prone to sensor dust. The Canon R has a cover that goes across the sensor when a lens is removed which seems like a great innovation...but is there anything in the Z7 that helps alleviate sensor dust.

If not, then dust will be an issue just like any other digital camera.

The fact is that I am not getting any dust in an environment where I was expecting to get a lot.

Nikon is using IBIS to remove dust. On top of that it appears that the glass they are using is treated to reduce dust sticking in the first place.

I would personally not want to expose a fragile shutter to compensate for the absence of equivalent technologies on the Canon R.

But I am not surprised to see you once again deny the possibility that Nikon may have done something right on the Nikon Z. Would you mind explaining why it hurts you so bad they you use some of your precious time again and again to write such posts? Just out of curiosity...

Btw the glass covering the Z sensor is the rhinnest of all mirrorless cameras.

Cheers,
Bernard

faberryman

« Reply #1517 on: January 06, 2019, 04:30:23 pm »

The fact is that I am not getting any dust in an environment where I was expecting to get a lot.
I think the point was that if you change lenses, you are susceptible to getting dust on the sensor. Canon has implemented a mechanism to avoid that. I change lenses frequently and have never had a problem with dust, so Canon's mechanism is not a selling point to me. Others seem to have dust follow them around like Pig-Pen. They may like Canon's feature.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1518 on: January 06, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »

And I changed lenses very frequently and still had no dust issues.

I would not have bothered reporting this otherwise.

This has been a Nikon strength in DSLRs too, I haven’t cleaned the sensor of my D850 once in 1.5 years of intense usage, but I was expecting a lot worse with a mirrorless camera based on many reports I read.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:55:39 pm by BernardLanguillier »

hogloff

« Reply #1519 on: January 06, 2019, 04:56:23 pm »

Nikon is using IBIS to remove dust. On top of that it appears that the glass they are using is treated to reduce dust sticking in the first place.

I would personally not want to expose a fragile shutter to compensate for the absence of equivalent technologies on the Canon R.

But I am not surprised to see you once again deny the possibility that Nikon may have done something right on the Nikon Z. Would you mind explaining why it hurts you so bad they you use some of your precious time again and again to write such posts? Just out of curiosity...

Btw the glass covering the Z sensor is the rhinnest of all mirrorless cameras.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard...don't get your panties so tight. I asked the question as to what technologies Nikon put into their mirrorless cameras to help with dust reduction. I read about Canon's approach and thought it was innovative. Maybe you should just skip my posts if they get you so burned.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 80   Go Up