Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159558 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018
« Reply #1260 on: October 10, 2018, 08:07:32 pm »

Nikon has confirmed that they use CDAF with adapted lenses. It is not yet known if they use it with S lenses.

I stand corrected. Does that apply to both AF-C and AF-S?

Interesting that it doesn't have much of a negative impact on focusing performance.

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1261 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »

More thoughts.

The focusing joystick is a little stiff, had a hard time getting fast and accurately to where I wanted. I set it to go every other focusing area and it's better.

SrMi

« Reply #1262 on: October 10, 2018, 11:52:12 pm »

I stand corrected. Does that apply to both AF-C and AF-S?

Interesting that it doesn't have much of a negative impact on focusing performance.

Cheers,
Bernard

My only source is this quote "both Phase and Contrast-Detect AF are in fact used when attaching an F-mount lens to the Z series cameras via the Mount Adapter FTZ." (link)

jeremyrh

« Reply #1263 on: October 11, 2018, 02:27:50 am »

Just wondering - the guys posting Z7 images - are you converting to TIFF and then processing some more in C1 etc, or processing in the wretched CNXD??

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1264 on: October 11, 2018, 02:39:29 am »

Just wondering - the guys posting Z7 images - are you converting to TIFF and then processing some more in C1 etc, or processing in the wretched CNXD??

Processing end to end in Lightroom Classic CC. It does support already the Z7 lossless compressed 14 bits files.

I prefer(red) C1 Pro but had to start re-learnign Lightroom for my Hasselblad files and now think thet are closer than I used to think.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ray

« Reply #1265 on: October 11, 2018, 05:21:27 am »

Here's another image of the Yellow Mountains with some interesting detail in the extreme lower right corner.

The image is a stitch from a couple of hand-held shots at 24mm and f8, using the Nikkor 14-24/F2.8 with the D810.

I didn't notice the tourists clambering over the rocks when taking the shots, and was very surprised to see them later as I processed the images in Photoshop. Those tiny figures tend to lend some perspective to the huge size of the mountain peaks.

Again, I can only speculate whether that corner crop would have been more detailed, and less distorted, if I had used the Z7 with 24-70 F4, at 24mm and F8.

PS. The lady doesn't seem to be ideally dressed for such an activity.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #1266 on: October 11, 2018, 06:39:47 am »

Here's another image of the Yellow Mountains with some interesting detail in the extreme lower right corner.

The image is a stitch from a couple of hand-held shots at 24mm and f8, using the Nikkor 14-24/F2.8 with the D810.

I didn't notice the tourists clambering over the rocks when taking the shots, and was very surprised to see them later as I processed the images in Photoshop. Those tiny figures tend to lend some perspective to the huge size of the mountain peaks.

Again, I can only speculate whether that corner crop would have been more detailed, and less distorted, if I had used the Z7 with 24-70 F4, at 24mm and F8.

PS. The lady doesn't seem to be ideally dressed for such an activity.  ;D

Nobody seems appropriately clad.

Are there no poisonous snakes, spiders or scorpions in China?

;-)

Ray

« Reply #1267 on: October 11, 2018, 10:05:09 am »

Nobody seems appropriately clad.

Are there no poisonous snakes, spiders or scorpions in China?

;-)

Probably not as many as one might expect, because the Chinese eat such creatures. In some restaurants one can find a snake aquarium where one can choose the individual snake one wants to eat, and even watch it being skinned, so you are sure you're getting the snake you chose.  ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1268 on: October 11, 2018, 10:07:36 am »

...The image is a stitch from a couple of hand-held shots at 24mm and f8, using the Nikkor 14-24/F2.8 with the D810...

Ouch! Not a particularly nice corner performance at f/8, especially if you were stitching overlapping shots.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1269 on: October 11, 2018, 02:08:23 pm »

Ouch! Not a particularly nice corner performance at f/8, especially if you were stitching overlapping shots.

Even if you are stitching most of the times the corners represent the single shot corners unless you overshoot and crop the corners.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1270 on: October 11, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »

I did both. Most shots I posted here are converted tiffs with Capture NX-D, then edited in LR. I can however open them in LR, it just says no profile loaded or something like that (I'm not next to a computer now), however if I apply my sharpening profile that I made for D750 it gives a decent start.

I'll probably stop using tiff, they are around 250MB each, not worth it most of the times.
I built my computer 3-4 years ago with a focus on silence. For the first time I'm hearing the fan when opening/ exporting the Z7 files. Chances are I'll need to upgrade, mostly to get a Thunderbolt storage with higher capacity and still fast enough for these humongous files.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1271 on: October 11, 2018, 03:18:49 pm »

Even if you are stitching most of the times the corners represent the single shot corners unless you overshoot and crop the corners.

Which is why you should overshoot and crop the corners.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #1272 on: October 11, 2018, 04:26:14 pm »

The Nikon 12-24 shows its age with higher megapixel sensors. It was the wide-angle king for long time, but it needs a refresh from Nikon for cameras like the Z7 or the D850.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1273 on: October 11, 2018, 04:34:38 pm »

I just compared head to head one of the shots and I get nicer colors and better highlight control from the CNXD but I like better the detail from the LR, more natural/ less crunchy. I hope full support on LR will be out soon.

John Camp

« Reply #1274 on: October 11, 2018, 05:06:02 pm »

I'm traveling, but stopped by a camera shop today and they had a Z7 with the zoom on display so I finally got to handle one, and I found it to be nothing like any DSLR I've ever handled. I liked it quite a lot. Notably larger than my GX8s and quite a bit smaller than the D800. Frontally, not really as noticeable as the D800s -- viewed from the front, as if somebody were taking a picture of you, the zoom stays inside the rectangle of the camera, so you really don't see it, unlike the situation with the f2.8 zooms which are just SFB that you see them even when mounted on a D800. Not nearly as intimidating as an 800-series with a 2.8. Also not like a smaller DSLR; had a denser feel to it, if that makes any sense. Like a Leica. Thought the viewfinder was terrific.

SrMi

« Reply #1275 on: October 11, 2018, 06:38:44 pm »

I just compared head to head one of the shots and I get nicer colors and better highlight control from the CNXD but I like better the detail from the LR, more natural/ less crunchy. I hope full support on LR will be out soon.

A new DNG Converter is out and they added Z7 support. Converted DNGs still report 'Profile Missing', but vignetting seems a bit better than with LR direct import.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1276 on: October 11, 2018, 10:54:04 pm »

Did anybody tried properly the focus stacking/ shifting? I went through what I did and the results are terrible, maybe a couple of shots in focus and the rest totally out of focus. I'll have to do this on a more organized fashion to see where the problem might be.

Ray

« Reply #1277 on: October 12, 2018, 01:23:57 am »

The Nikon 12-24 shows its age with higher megapixel sensors. It was the wide-angle king for long time, but it needs a refresh from Nikon for cameras like the Z7 or the D850.

I think you are right. I bought the 14-24 many years ago, around the time the 12 mp Nikon D700 was released. I was using the lens initially with my 13 mp Canon 5D, with adapter, then later with the Nikon D700.

The future 15-30/F4 on the Nikon roadmap will hopefully be a significant improvement. I'd be willing to sacrifice a full f stop at the wide end for the sake of a much lighter lens with sharper corner and edge performance. The increase of 6mm in focal length at the long end would likely be more useful than the wider 1 mm of the 14-24 at the short end.

A Z7 with 15-30 F4, 24-70 F4, and 80-400 using adapter, should suit all my photographic requirements. If Nikon can eventually produce a lighter and sharper 80-400 for the Z7 mount, then that would be much appreciated.

Ray

« Reply #1278 on: October 12, 2018, 01:33:17 am »

Which is why you should overshoot and crop the corners.

Very true, Slobodan. As a competent photographer I should have taken more shots so I could crop out any fuzzy corners which might become a problem if I were to print a 2 meter x 4 meter polyptych.  ;)

Thinking that I probably did take more shots of that particular scene, for stitching, I revisited my archives to check. Sure enough, I found that I had taken a couple of more shots to the right of the scene, which I hadn't included in my original stitch, probably because of the variability of the tourist activity in 3 of the shots, which I thought the stitching program might not handle well. As I'm sure you know, stitching is not ideal for scenes which are not static.

Attached is the full scene showing the group of tourists in just one of the shots. I cropped out the tourists in the other two images prior to stitching. The degree of overlap was sufficient to allow that.

I've also included a 100% crop of the group of tourists which is close to the lower edge, but some distance from the extreme corner. Resolution is still lacking, but probably good enough for a 24" x 40" print, from a reasonable viewing distance of course.  ;)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #1279 on: October 12, 2018, 03:04:21 am »

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 80   Go Up