Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159498 times)

johnvanatta

• Website
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018
« Reply #1220 on: October 08, 2018, 04:14:24 pm »

I like the 24-70 lens hood. It's light and snaps on solidly, both mounted and reversed. The lens also feels great in hand. Machined aluminum Olympus lenses look nice, and feel great indoors, but they suck the heat out of my hands in tough field conditions, and they get slippery with sweat.

In practicality terms, Nikon has gotten a lot right with the Z7.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1221 on: October 08, 2018, 04:36:17 pm »

Got to shoot with it an hour or so, much less than what I initially planned so more in depth testing of other adapted lenses or even of a polarizer will have to wait.

I still get the feel that Nikon got this camera out to stop the leaking to other brands.
From what I'm seeing so far for when the file quality doesn't need the high resolution or the best dynamic range I will still prefer the Fuji.
The good news is that I'm getting faster at accessing what I need.

Not being able to reassign the i button is probably good, it's the only one that doesn't require a significant change in the hand position. I'll have to play more with the content of the quick menu.

Whoever designed the focus shift wasn't having their best moment. It's relatively idiotic. You can't see what it's doing, I can only assume it's starting to focus either in the beginning vs where I focused last. I know it stops before shooting all frames of it reaches infinity. In practice it makes it difficult to do a focus stack only for the subject that you care about.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1222 on: October 08, 2018, 07:30:42 pm »

Z7 + 35mm f1.8 S

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1223 on: October 08, 2018, 08:15:25 pm »

"Canon EOS M rules Japanese ILC market"

Slobodan,

What is this fascinating piece of information doing posted by you in a Nikon thread?

Yes, Canon has a great sales force. Nothing new. They would have gone down a long time ago on camera performance alone. Known facts.

Since the M is probably going away soon (no way Canon is going to keep 4 mounts in existence), they are aggressively cutting the prices to clear stock.

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

« Reply #1224 on: October 08, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »

Got to shoot with it an hour or so, much less than what I initially planned so more in depth testing of other adapted lenses or even of a polarizer will have to wait.

I still get the feel that Nikon got this camera out to stop the leaking to other brands.
From what I'm seeing so far for when the file quality doesn't need the high resolution or the best dynamic range I will still prefer the Fuji.
The good news is that I'm getting faster at accessing what I need.

Not being able to reassign the i button is probably good, it's the only one that doesn't require a significant change in the hand position. I'll have to play more with the content of the quick menu.

Whoever designed the focus shift wasn't having their best moment. It's relatively idiotic. You can't see what it's doing, I can only assume it's starting to focus either in the beginning vs where I focused last. I know it stops before shooting all frames of it reaches infinity. In practice it makes it difficult to do a focus stack only for the subject that you care about.

What do you mean by "either in the beginning vs where I focused last"?
It starts wherever the lens is focusing on when you press Start. Have you tried "Peaking Stack Image" to visualize what will be in focus?
I do not like the interface neither, it is the same one as in D850. But in D850 you can look through OVF during focus-shift, with Z7 you cannot.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1225 on: October 08, 2018, 09:28:03 pm »

Slobodan,

What is this fascinating piece of information doing posted by you in a Nikon thread?...

Bernard,

Since apparently there is a “mirrorless war” out there, the arena where the new Nikons are competing, in global terms, I thought that info on the market share of various players might be of interest. As a Canon user, I must confess my own surprise that the M series is doing so good. From my perspective, it is a totally unremarkable camera.

BJL

Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... no let's talk about Canon!
« Reply #1226 on: October 08, 2018, 09:44:44 pm »

Since apparently there is a “mirrorless war” out there, the arena where the new Nikons are competing, in global terms, I thought that info on the market share of various players might be of interest. As a Canon user, I must confess my own surprise that the M series is doing so good. From my perspective, it is a totally unremarkable camera.
Since you are curious, a better measure is probably the BCN estimates for total unit sales of mirrorless system cameras by brand in Japan for full years. That has Canon rising over the last few years into a tie with Sony for second place in 2017 (about 21% share), behind (unit sales) leader Olympus (about 28%). I too am puzzled by the M-system's degree of success in Japan; Sony E seems to do better than Canon M globally.

https://photorumors.com/2018/01/16/the-2018-bcn-camera-rankings-are-out/

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1227 on: October 08, 2018, 10:38:46 pm »

Z7 + 35mm f1.8 S

Cheers,
Bernard

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1228 on: October 08, 2018, 10:43:23 pm »

What do you mean by "either in the beginning vs where I focused last"?
It starts wherever the lens is focusing on when you press Start. Have you tried "Peaking Stack Image" to visualize what will be in focus?
I do not like the interface neither, it is the same one as in D850. But in D850 you can look through OVF during focus-shift, with Z7 you cannot.

I focused where I wanted to start and then go in the menu and start the focus shift operation but I had no visualization of where the sequence was starting, if it was where I focused before going into the menu or starting at the minimum focus distance. I did not do the peaking stack image, I did not know about its existence because like any self respecting male I read no manual or instructions.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1229 on: October 08, 2018, 10:59:43 pm »

https://blog.kasson.com/nikon-z6-7/nikkor-s-35-1-8-on-z7-sigma-35-1-4-art-on-a7riii/

A very positive review of the 35mm f1.8 S by Jim.

The way he phrases his post is a bit strange though, the introduction may lead one to think that the results aren't that good,... but the rest shows the lens to be outstanding. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:50:21 am by BernardLanguillier »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1230 on: October 08, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »

Few samples from today

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1231 on: October 08, 2018, 11:35:54 pm »

24-70 flare.

last one is heavily cropped

SrMi

« Reply #1232 on: October 08, 2018, 11:55:19 pm »

I focused where I wanted to start and then go in the menu and start the focus shift operation but I had no visualization of where the sequence was starting, if it was where I focused before going into the menu or starting at the minimum focus distance. I did not do the peaking stack image, I did not know about its existence because like any self respecting male I read no manual or instructions.

To clarify: you focus where you want the sequence to start (or a little bit closer, just in case), invoke focus shift menu, start it. Hopefully, your setting will cover everything that needs to be sharp.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1233 on: October 09, 2018, 04:57:56 pm »

Bernard,

Slobodan suffers from Nikon envy syndrome is still ruing the day that he picked Canon as his system. ;)

faberryman

« Reply #1234 on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:31 pm »

What are these random photographs supposed to demonstrate about the Z7. That it works?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:21:17 pm by faberryman »

Dan Wells

« Reply #1235 on: October 09, 2018, 06:01:39 pm »

One bias that is always true of forums like this one is that we like both nice cameras and good photography. Most people who don't post here buy (relatively) cheap cameras with (very) cheap lenses to take pictures of their kids (and then don't use them because they're using their iPhone instead). The EOS-M models that are selling well are not the expensive ones - it's the kits found in Best Buy type stores (not sure what the Japanese equivalent is) that pair a $400 body with a $100 lens that drive unit sales.

In the US, those are DSLRs (D3500, latest low-end Rebel). In much of Asia, they're mirrorless, and EOS-M is doing well in that market.

The total interchangeable lens camera market from the cheapest D3500 to the Phase One IQ4150 is ~10 million units/year

Total annual production of Z6+Z7 is under a quarter-million units (20,000/month)  - this is straight from Nikon
I've seen 10,000/month for the D850, and the 5D line is probably a little more, but not much
I'd be shocked if the D5 plus 1Dx II added up to 10,000 units/month
The Sony mirrorless full-frame models probably add 50,000/month all told (I don't have data here, but that seems to be the range - hope Thom Hogan posts something comprehensive to his site soon, as he sometimes does).
Medium format is tiny, and not worth worrying about (I'd be amazed if any single non-Fuji maker sold 1000/month, or if everybody together (including Fuji) sold 5000/month)

Somewhere around 1 million of those 10 million cameras are the models we most often talk about here.

Another million are probably the low end of full-frame  (D610, D750, EOS 6D mkII) plus the highest end of APS-C (Fuji, D500, EOS 7D). Fuji sells somewhere around half a million interchangeable lens cameras per year or a little more, but many of those are X-A and X-M models, NOT X-Pro, X-T and X-H. you can't find the cheap Fujis in US stores, but (like the EOS-M) they sell well in some Asian markets.

The remaining 8 million cameras/year are never talked about on Luminous - they're sold in department stores with the only lenses they'll ever wear (sometimes you get an 18-55 and a 55-200 with them). That's the volume driver. Volume figures have nothing to do with any camera most of us use (unless you teach, in which case, knowing the controls of all of them is important because that's what students bring - cheap DSLRs are GREAT teaching/learning tools because they combine decent control with instant feedback). For exactly that reason, I make sure to learn to use all of them as they come out...

Dan

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1236 on: October 09, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »

What are these random photographs supposed to demonstrate about the Z7. That it works?

You ok? Why are photos out there with camera reviews?
For me the first set was a quick test for dynamic range and colors. Second, called flare, was for .... flare. Sorry that I troubled you with these shots.

I'll let Bernard explain himself, should be want to.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1237 on: October 09, 2018, 07:37:15 pm »

Z7 + 35mm f1.8 S

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #1238 on: October 09, 2018, 07:39:56 pm »

As far as I am concerned, that the Z7 + 35mm f1.8 S is a dream street photography camera offering best in class image quality (starting with colors) in a compact package with top quality lens.

But above that, I am a bit tired of too much camera talk without actual photographs.

Cheers,
Bernard

gkroeger

« Reply #1239 on: October 09, 2018, 09:31:07 pm »

But above that, I am a bit tired of too much camera talk without actual photographs.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bravo... keep them coming!

Glenn
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 80   Go Up