Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159502 times)

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in early 2019
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2018, 10:52:05 am »

Maybe it's a bit shorter than the Sony and a bit thicker. In any case, very similarly sized.

Regards

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2018, 11:09:21 am »

Maybe it's a bit shorter than the Sony and a bit thicker. In any case, very similarly sized.

Regards

That forward finger makes all the difference. Still to be determined:
- gripsize
- commanddial and shoulderbutton rotation,
- viewfinder and shutterresponse.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

G*

« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2018, 05:10:49 am »

Some screenshots from the new Nikon film, worked on with curves. More to follow …

G*

« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2018, 05:12:28 am »

another 4 …

That halo seems to be bigger than the actual mount. What do you think: F-mount size?

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2018, 06:37:24 am »

The good thing about that halo, no matter if it fits the real dimensions or not, is that Nikon wants to emphasize it on its teaser. And that means mount dimensions were carefully chosen this time.

Probably Nikon knew better than anyone about the limitations of a narrow diameter and long flange distance in the digital era. Now they will come out with the most flexible and less limiting FF mirrorless system.

Regards

PS: can't wait to see a Canon TS on a Nikon body :D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2018, 07:24:26 am »

Nikon has things covered with the 19mm on the wide end, but the 135mm is interesting.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2018, 09:52:19 am »

Hopefully.

Keith, no! Don't go there!

Think Porsche instead - it'll end up much more fun!

:-)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2018, 10:33:30 am »

Keith, no! Don't go there!

Think Porsche instead - it'll end up much more fun!

:-)

Yes, Rob, thank you!

Your argument makes perfect sense to me, but...

;-)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2018, 11:23:16 am »

Hi,

May be a good thing. Nikon has been a bit conservative on bayonets.

Sony needs some competition in mirrorless.

Best regards
Erik

The good thing about that halo, no matter if it fits the real dimensions or not, is that Nikon wants to emphasize it on its teaser. And that means mount dimensions were carefully chosen this time.

Probably Nikon knew better than anyone about the limitations of a narrow diameter and long flange distance in the digital era. Now they will come out with the most flexible and less limiting FF mirrorless system.

Regards

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2018, 01:00:38 am »

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/

As predicted, the focus is on optical quality, not on compactness.

I have a feeling that we are ahead of a D3 like announcement. That Nikon has designed this camera with a very clear target in mind which is to design the platform to enable the best possible image quality.

This happens to be exactly what I was hoping they would do.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:11:36 am by BernardLanguillier »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2018, 03:04:29 am »

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/

As predicted, the focus is on optical quality, not on compactness.

I have a feeling that we are ahead of a D3 like announcement. That Nikon has designed this camera with a very clear target in mind which is to design the platform to enable the best possible image quality.

This happens to be exactly what I was hoping they would do.

Cheers,
Bernard

Maybe it is the sceptic in me... but I try to read with a grain of salt press releases... for any manufacturer... I will wait for the hands on...

http://dgpfotografia.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:14 am »

Maybe it is the sceptic in me... but I try to read with a grain of salt press releases... for any manufacturer... I will wait for the hands on...

I am with you... but Nikon has never had a clue what marketing means. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »

This is becoming exciting.

It seems that the rumors were right all along and that Nikon has chosen to differentiate themselves with the most future proof possible mount with the possibility to design unique lenses. I suspect that we may get lenses with perfectly circular out of focus highlights, uniquely bright lenses,...

In fact, it very much looks like this mount has the same size as that of the GFX and X1D bodies and Nikon may have kept the door open for larger sensors moving forward.

Cheers,
Bernard

I’m not sure I see the larger mount as pointing toward medium format, but maybe...

However, even if larger sensors are not a consideration, as I understand things, there are three very good reasons for a larger mount: it makes the design of very bright lenses easier, it makes the design of telecentric lens’s easier, and it makes ibis easier to engineer. And the very-short flange-focal distance is another plus.

The F mount has served well for 60 or so years, and I applaud Nikon for maintaining that standard through so many generations of cameras. But if they are going to design something better-suited to the mirrorless camera concept it’s nice to see a design that incorporates so much thought and so many advantages.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:56 am »

Indeed.

There is another aspect that may be made possible by such a large mount, that I would call the holy grail of lens design, it is the absence of cat eye shaped out of focus highlights with bright lenses.

Either way, it seems reasonnable to measure the degree of future proofness of a lens mount by the ratio of its diameter by the diagonal of the sensor size.

During the past 20 years the single reason why EOS was deemed superior to F mount was its larger diameter.

It will probably also be possible to adapt other mirrorless lenses on the Nikon if the mount is significantly larger, even with similar flange distances. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:04:43 am by BernardLanguillier »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2018, 02:19:17 am »

Indeed.

There is another aspect that may be made possible by such a large mount, that I would call the holy grail of lens design, it is the absence of cat eye shaped out of focus highlights with bright lenses.

Either way, it seems reasonnable to measure the degree of future proofness of a lens mount by the ratio of its diameter by the diagonal of the sensor size.

During the past 20 years the single reason why EOS was deemed superior to F mount was its larger diameter.

It will probably also be possible to adapt other mirrorless lenses on the Nikon if the mount is significantly larger, even with similar flange distances. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Huh? Seems like too narrow a focus on size. Larger lensmount probably equates to larger lens elements thus more expensive glass and heavier, bulkier lenses. The drawing may be second to none, but i'm not sure that's what people were looking to gain from mirrorless.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2018, 02:30:27 am »

Huh? Seems like too narrow a focus on size. Larger lensmount probably equates to larger lens elements thus more expensive glass and heavier, bulkier lenses. The drawing may be second to none, but i'm not sure that's what people were looking to gain from mirrorless.

Well, no... It is possible to design small lenses fitting a large mount, but the opposite isn’t true. Or at least is much more difficult and may end up resulting in more bulky designs.

Besides, there are various reasons for the interest of people for mirrorless, but those have been strongly shapped/limited till date by the design choices made by Sony whose strategy accross sensor sizes was simple: design the smallest possible body around each sensor size.

Leica has chosen another route but is obviously a niche offering.

So when investing in a strategic mirrorless mount, I will consider its size as a very important decision criteria. Not because it is Nikon coming up with a large one, because it just makes sense.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:10:18 am by BernardLanguillier »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2018, 04:24:37 am »

Heft and girth, or rather lack of them, would be a key consideration for this snapper.

chez

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2018, 09:00:55 am »

Heft and girth, or rather lack of them, would be a key consideration for this snapper.

Yep, love my compact travel lenses I have for Sony. No interest in big heavy lenses for mirror less cameras...already have that with DSLR systems.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2018, 11:57:32 am »

Two other things I'm hoping for are an EVF with better dynamic range than anything else on the market and great manual focussing feedback. HDR screens are becoming more common in larger displays, at some point they'll come to an EVF. Could it be this one?

Another thing that would be nice to see is a very thin filter stack. Not so thin that IR is an issue, but thin enough that wide legacy lenses will render with little smearing.

Those two features would greatly increase the range of smal lenses that could be used.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 80   Go Up