Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 80   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in ... late September 2018  (Read 159463 times)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Nikon’s new mirrorless system, coming in early 2019
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2018, 05:52:30 am »

My friend owns his camera for 3 months, uses it regularly and had used these functions a few times already... but sure, it must be him. The Sony menus are known for their ease of navigation. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Honestly, after using Canon, (some) Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony, every brand has menu idiosyncrasies. Maybe your friend needs more than 3 months to customise the camera to his needs, who knows? Maybe the Sony is not for him.

In the end, with any brand, reading the manual, taking the time to familiarize, and practicing, pays off. If one decides that it is taking too long, then just move on.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2018, 07:06:41 am »

In the end, with any brand, reading the manual, taking the time to familiarize, and practicing, pays off. If one decides that it is taking too long, then just move on.

I agree,

Being with Nikon for a long time i understand the menu, but still do not get the idea of the banks...does not work for me...
At the same time i find it works very well and is idiot proof.
The latter is very important and Nikon does a good job making the camera reliable.
and
I only want to learn ONE camera system- and then it has to be a camera that is worth spending much time on it.
If i mix up different cameras i get crazy wil all the little differences.
At the moment i know the Nikon D850 by heart. It can do a lot with it and i can use it blindly and intuitively.
That is what i need.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2018, 07:16:11 am »

If it needs a manual it's not for me.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:07 am »

All digital cameras need some manual - I suppose; the one for my D 700 is thick, but once I learned how to switch everything automatic off, and how to go rapidly between auto and manual metering, there has never been need to consult it except when I had to make use of the little built-in flash to trigger another unit.

I use it like my previous film Nikons. I never even chimp unless in times of shooting against bright exteriors when indoors. Everything else is common sense based on experience. My curiosity is happy to await the computer.

Rob

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2018, 08:59:47 am »

All digital cameras need some manual - I suppose; the one for my D 700 is thick, but once I learned how to switch everything automatic off, and how to go rapidly between auto and manual metering, there has never been need to consult it except when I had to make use of the little built-in flash to trigger another unit.

I use it like my previous film Nikons. I never even chimp unless in times of shooting against bright exteriors when indoors. Everything else is common sense based on experience. My curiosity is happy to await the computer.

Where things can get complicated in the Nikon world is when you start to tap into the full potential of the AF on moving subjects of the D500/D5/D850. Huge potential, but it takes some studying.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2018, 11:17:47 am »

Where things can get complicated in the Nikon world is when you start to tap into the full potential of the AF on moving subjects of the D500/D5/D850. Huge potential, but it takes some studying.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'm sure you're right!

But I look upon photography as something easy to do, always have, and because of that and my real dislike for electronic devices - include the mythical video and DVD recorder - I know that I would not employ those tricks. I never had them before and did just fine with cameras without them.

If Nikon wanted to do me a favour, they would officially enable and provide the D 700 with a split-image focussing screen, preferably without a microprism ring around the split.

I'm a simple soul with simple photographic needs. I don't want to have to learn new languages.

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2018, 04:23:08 pm »

I remember the first time I had my hands on a Canon 1DMkIII, digging into the menus to figure out all the AF options. After some 10–15 minutes and a blizzard of parameters to corral I was tempted to throw the thing at the nearest wall. Haven't touched a Canon D-SLR since. Though nowadays I bet I'd find the AF setup process fairly straightforward.  :D

-Dave-

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2018, 05:01:20 pm »

I don't want to have to learn new languages.

Cómo llevas tu español Rob? :P

hogloff

« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2018, 08:00:22 pm »

I'm a simple soul with simple photographic needs. I don't want to have to learn new languages.

Rob

Rob, here is the camera for you...speaks your language.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2018, 04:03:10 am »

At the moment Nikon is mirrorlessless ...

Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras listed as discontinued

https://nikonrumors.com/

- really liked the 1 camera's, but understand the move.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2018, 04:09:18 am »

I'd like a digital back for my old FM. That'd do.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2018, 04:42:19 am »

At the moment Nikon is mirrorlessless ...

Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras listed as discontinued

Hopefully they will very soon be mirrorlesslessless again.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 05:55:55 am »

Cheers,
Bernard

I would offer that this statement applies to all brands? AF options and menu settings, for moving objects, is complicated:)

And this is an area that brands avoid changing too much in terms of menus and settings, between camera generations; to avoid pros being unhappy with having to relearn the thing.

Telecaster

« Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 04:33:29 pm »

I had an Instamatic 124 in the early 1970s, back before my dad decided I could be trusted with his rangefinders.  :)  It did the job not too badly considering. Here's a pic of my Aunt Anna & me taken in spring 1973 while visiting family in Florida. Me holding my 124 and looking insolent, Anna with her camera (don't remember the brand or model) and looking regal. (I still have Anna's straw hat and often wear it while working in my garden.)

-Dave-

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2018, 07:51:24 am »

I’m quite fond of my little Nikon1. I think I will start looking a little more actively for extra lenses. Should be cheap as chips now.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rayyan

« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2018, 04:10:41 am »

Most modern cameras can ( or can be setup ) simple.
Certain situations require non-simple ( ? ) camera functions....continuous af tracking eg. just set it once, and ready to go.

My reason for venturing into mirrorless is bulk n weight...which unfortunately is a myth, unless you have one camera n one small prime lens.
I have done that n it has been marvelous.

I shall wait for the Nikon mirrorless. So far with Nikon, I have not found it necessary to read the manual, bar foe some exotic setting for me.

The only video I know of is watching what someone else has done in a movie or YouTube.

scooby70

« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2018, 05:12:24 am »

Yes. I was with a friend on Sunday. He bought his a7rIII back in may.

We were shooting our kids jumping up an down on some kind of huge plastic trampoline. Since there were many kids, he set out to configure his Sony to capture his son's face for it to be recognized by the face recognition feature (eye AF). After fighting with his menus he found the function after about one minute. He then called his son who didn't come right away. Managed to capture his face only to find out that his son was too far, or that there were too many faces.

End result, zero images captured in 5 minutes.

Probably user error and/or lack of familiarity with the camera, but still, it wasn't a very impressive demonstration.

Cheers,
Bernard

It's not probably user error it's certainly user error in that they weren't familiar with the options and hadn't set the camera up to offer the function easily.

Give someone who's never used a Nikon D850/any other Nikon DSLR before one and expect them to capture action shots in 5 minutes and the result would be exactly the same.

To blame this on the camera is laughable but people will just keep on doing it whilst others will set their gear up and become familiar with it. Which do you think is the intelligent approach and which is the frankly rather silly one?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2018, 02:38:51 am »

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-week-away-from-the-rumored-new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announcement.aspx/

Looks like quite interesting specs... let’s see next week. Interesting times... even if I don’t plan to buy it.

Anyway... sometimes one wonders who edits those sites... you read phrases like “BSI sensors (supposed to be a new tech with advanced AF).”

Well, BSI sensors are no new tech... several years old now... even with full frame sensors. Being a Nikon focus tech site the guy should have know that the D850 has the same tech... and it has nothing to do with AF.

http://dgpfotografia.com

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2018, 06:25:44 am »

Indeed, but BSI remains the latest and the greatest, so it is just saying best in class sensor tech.

It is hard to be better than best in class but I agree anyway that the success of this systen will not be driven by a few % in sensor image quality. Usability, AF performance, EVF experience, ability to use existing lenses, lenses quality and roadmap,... will be more important.

Had they not mentionned it they may have been another FUD campaign such as the one that preceeded the D850 release when internet experts here and elsewhere were claiming with 200% certainty that the D850 sensor was going to be mediocre at best. :;

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 80   Go Up