Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Trump II  (Read 14153 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Trump II
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2017, 07:00:01 am »

So, how has that been working' for ya bud?

Pretty piss poor, which is why the states should not be allowed to fail to meet minimum standards.

The states have already proven their incompetence hence the severe health problem of pediatric obesity which then evolves into adult obesity which evolves into Type 2 diabetes.

So, ask yourself, who benefits?

High sodium, high sugar, processed foods, who benefits?

Follow the money...this is Trump's new swamp.

Jeff, you're really reaching for straws here, and this sounds borderline conspiracy theory, as if Trump is purposely doing this to enrich the healthcare industry. 

Not everything is the government's fault; people do need to take responsibility for themselves, such as eating healthy.  There is a big difference between forcing someone to eat healthy vs. teaching them to do so. 

Makes me think of the new soda tax here in Philly.  Are people drinking less soda, no.  They are just shopping outside of the city now, for all their needs, hurting the city's economy.  Stores are already laying off staff due to loss of sales.  Not to mention there is a growing dislike for City Hall; maybe it will make way for a republican mayor.   :D

Maybe we should try and get parents (by far, the most influential people in a child's life) to teach there kids to eat healthy.  Maybe parents should be responsible for there child's life.  Anything else is a moot point, trust me, I use to be a teacher. 

Anyway I eat healthy.  I exercise on a regular basis.  (Not to mention my work requires me to be on my feet all day walking around with heavy technical cameras and 100s lb of lighting gear.)  How about you?  Do you exercise, do you eat healthy?  Because if you don't, your post is nothing more then hot air. 

Lead by example!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:09:47 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

JoeKitchen

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2017, 07:04:47 am »

Kids want to eat junk food and don't like being told to eat something healthy instead?  I'm not sure that's newsworthy :-)

Yes, but nether is her criticism of the current situation, but they did report on that. 

The problem I have with this whole eat healthy thing is we don't give any responsibility to the parents.  We expect the government to solve the problem just like with getting children to do better in school.  But guess what, study after study have shown without parental involvement, more then likely it won't work. 

Sure, a handful of kids will get it, but the most won't and no politician addresses this.  I get it though, it's kind of hard to tell a room full of parents that they are really bad parents without backlash; look at outcry when Obama talked about being a good father.  But it needs to be done. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 07:11:29 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2017, 06:29:47 am »

Well, my wife and I are primarily plant based with seafood. We avoid processed foods, high sodium and sugars. I no longer smoke or drink alcohol and I've even switched from Diet Coke to Perrier because of the chemicals and food coloring. We have workout equipment and a personal trainer. I have had serious health issues recently so I'm working on radically improving my health...thanks for asking :~)

So, maybe my post is something more than hot air?

That's great, so yes, maybe your post is more then hot air. 

Nothing more annoying then when a personal trainer who is overweight tries to sell me at the pool or gym. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2017, 06:56:43 am »

Yes, I'm from Chicago but my daughter is 34 yrs old so I have no dog in that hunt. I really don't care other than the fact that the teachers end up getting the shaft.

But the inability of the city of Chicago and the state of Illinois to effectively run the schools kinda runs afoul of the argument of "keep the feds out" and let the states and local communities handle education even if they end up screwing everything up.

No it does not. 

Sometimes people need to learn the hard way, and if your state royally screwed up, then they need to learn how to fix it.  Sure, other states would be happy to provide "guidance," but the solution should come from your wallets, not mine.  After all, we got our own problems to deal with in PA. 

In reality, the unions have grown too strong.  Politicians just gave the unions whatever they wanted for votes.  Combine this with the fact that we are no longer the only manufacturing base in the world (Europe, China, Japan have rebuilt since WW2, India and S. America is now open), and we just can not afford these petitions as they are. 

This is the new reality.  All other professions dropped their price points and wages; I feel no sympathy for the union workers trying to hold onto the pre-2007 price/wage schemes. 

As a matter of fact, I scoff at them.  In Center City Philly, the price of union labor is higher today then it was before the recession.  Businesses are hiring non-union is areas no one would have dared to 10 years.  The giant Rats and Fat Cats are being inflated all over the place.  But no one cares, especially when their craftsmanship is hit or miss on projects.  I have photographed so many union projects in Philly and the end result is pathetic, especially for what they charge. 

(In NYC though, the Unions are worth their price.  The union craftsmanship there is top notch.  In Philly, there is no guarantee that you will get the quality you are paying for, which makes the situation even more comical.)   

Well anyway drove 5 hours yesterday to shoot a building today and the weather forecast looked great.  Woke up to it raining; there was no rain in the forecast.  Sometimes I envy the studio photographers. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2017, 07:25:55 am »

Like everything else, the union movement has accomplished both good and bad things. What I don't get is why people are not as bothered by corporate monopolies.

I would like to say not all union projects are sub-par; most turn out very good.  But when your work is not consistently exceptional and you insist on charging high prices, you kind of damage your cause.  Combine this with all the headaches, like the giant Rat, which does more harm then good from a marketing stand point, and people start to hate you. 

Also, many of the protest with the Rat are not in front of large chain stores or big business; I could understand that, although not agree with it.  Most are in front of small businesses, like a local coffee and sandwich shop down the street, or a privately owned daycare around the corner. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2017, 08:55:41 am »

You are absolutely right, Ray, the most effective way to educate the general population on the proper nutrition, would be to add such a subject in all schools.
And while we are at it, such classes should be offered as a refreshment course also for all doctors. Most practising physicians never learnt anything about the nutrition as a tool to prevent and heal diseases.
2,500 years ago, Hippocrates believed “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Nowadays, the doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics and betablockers.

I +1 on this too, and bring back Home Econ too. 

I think part of the problem, and something Mike Rowe touches on a lot, is that we collectively have come to this agreement that all kids should be college bound kids, which creates problems. 

We did away with more basic life skills classes in High School and replaced them with college bound classes.  Replace Home Econ with trigonometry/geometry.  Not every one can, or ever will need to know how to, do those, but every one needs to know how to balance a check book, how much a mortgage cost, etc. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:46 am »

In NYC an journeyman electrician in Local 3 union makes over $100 an hour with benefits.  Who needs college?  Of course, big builders like Trump use union labor.  He didn't build Trump Tower with non-union "scab" labor.  But small companies and startups just can't afford to pay union wages so homes, small businesses, etc get done with non-union workers, many who are immigrants.  I don't know the percentage of how many of those are illegals, but it's a lot.  That's just not in NYC but across the nation.  Illegals keep costs for construction down but take away jobs from Americans.  This has driven a lot of support for Trump from the construction industry.

Allen, I get that you are a former project manager for an union shop, but construction prices are already high with the signatory contractors.  Projects are not getting built just because union labor is too much and the owners don't want a mess on their hands by using non-union.  Of course, this mess is not so much in NYC; I can't remember ever seeing a giant Rat outside a construction site anywhere in NYC.  In Philly though, it's common place. 

When you hire an union shop for 3 times the price, you should get exceptional craftsmanship.  In NYC, I see this being the case; in Philly it is hit or miss. 

As an architectural photographer, I like following lines.  I shot an interior office recently in Philly, union built, and I wanted to follow the high hat lights in the ceiling, which there was about 25 of them going down the hallway.  Not any three of them lined up, and they were office as much as 6 inches.  That is just not acceptable at a $100/hr. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2017, 09:03:36 am »

My musician friend told me that he is not allowed to plug his guitar into a wall outlet himself, in union-controlled venues. Instead, they require him to hire an electrician at a rate of $200 per hour (the number per my memory) - way more than he charges for his music performance.

This use to be the case at the Convention Center in Philly.  It got so bad, recurring shows started cancelling and going to Atlantic City instead. 

The worse I heard was another architectural photographer I know as shooting City Hall.  He needed to move a table about a foot and unplugged the microphone cables to do so, did not think anything of it.  The union found out and served him with a suit for taking away a job of a union worker. 

James Clark

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2017, 05:10:27 pm »

That has become a paid site. There is no way I am going to finance fake news.

Seriously - just stop.   ::)

JoeKitchen

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2017, 08:07:46 am »

According to mediabiasfactcheck.com

HEAT STREET

RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting: MIXED

Notes: Heat Street is a conservative opinion and commentary website. Launched in February 2016, the website is headed by British writer and former politician Louise Mensch. It is owned by News Corp under Dow Jones & Company. This source has a right wing bias through wording and story selection. Heat Street was also one of the sources Donald Trump quoted for his debunked claim that his phone was wiretapped by Obama.

Source: http://heatst.com/

In actuality, the original source is a better source to look at...

News Coverage of Donald Trump’s First 100 Days

And some conclusions...

So, just because it's negative doesn't mean it's wrong...and if Trump would just shut his mouth (and quite tweeting) the number of negative stories would go down.

BTW, Heat Street is to the right of Fox and just to the left of Breitbart. Pretty charts though Slobodan :~)

Does this mean Harvard is wrong? 

Oh my!

JoeKitchen

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2017, 08:28:52 am »

Every involved authority tries to influence elections, whether internally or externally. The bottom line is that each individual casts a vote, if they want to. (In Australia it's compulsory. You get fined for not voting.) If Americans are too stupid to analyse the media reports and the innuendos from whatever source, and make up their own mind, then don't blame the Russians. Blame yourselves and work out what you did wrong.

Ray, just quit while you're ahead.  Schewe just can't let go of the Russia thing while at the same time making it seem like we are better.  (Of course the other irony is Obama and all the Dems were all about making positive connections with Russia just a short while ago.)  All of Latin America and Iran are great examples of foreign countries we meddled with.

I don't blame the Russians.  If I eventually have to blame someone, which I don't think is necessary right now, I'd blame the HRC campaign, who were royal screw ups when it came to campaigning, although really good at convincing the whole of the DNC to suppress anyone running against them.  This is why she lost, her entire campaign, from the very beginning (read the articles on how disorganized her first speech was), had no idea what they were doing.  She had no idea what she was doing. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2017, 08:54:01 am »

https://twitter.com/RepTedLieu

I find this quite ironic. 

First, it has not been confirmed exactly what Trump said, or if he said it by accident or intentionally.  Stating the location of a threat is different then revealing the sources.  (Anyway, I do not think he would intentionally give up classified info; more then likely whatever he said was an off the cuff remark.  Of course the outcome does not change, but the intent does, which can be all the difference.  Just ask Hillary.) 

Second, Israel is an ally, but judging by John Kerry's speech prior to Obama leaving office, you would not think so.  It seems Israel gets the ability to use us as a large stick against the rest of the middle so it can do whatever it wants, like running a government of oppression of the Palestinian people (they can't vote, they can't move freely, some are not allowed to leave) and continuing to break up their land, making it geographically impossible for a two state solution to happen now. 

What do we get out of this relationship? 

Sure, Russia is not an ally, but they are not a enemy either, especially judging by Obama's 2012 campaign.  "The 1980s want their foreign policy back."  Why do we all of a sudden think it is not a good thing to improve relations with Russia?  Is it a political farce? 

The G-7 comment reeks of arrogance. 

Last, the Pope is not an elected official and holds no real power, and, as an atheist, I hope it stays that way.  Furthermore, Pope Francis, aside from climate change, is more conservative then liberal. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 09:13:03 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2017, 02:32:58 pm »

Talk to Mad Magzine...that's who Time ripped off :-)

Well that pisses me off.  Not because I may be against the ideology the message, but because people should be using original work. 

bcooter

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2017, 02:42:00 pm »

Joe,

Welcome to the west side of LA. 

IMO

BC

JoeKitchen

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:52 pm »

So  while we argue about so-called collusion with the Russians, the Chinese executed or jailed upwards of twenty of our CIA agents between 2010-2012. 
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/20/world/asia/china-cia-spies-espionage.html

They were not really agents, but sources, a big difference.  We would have done the same; remember the Rosenbergs? 

If they had executed US citizens that were CIA agents, I am sure we would not know about it nor would we ever admit to it. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2017, 10:00:01 am »

60 million Trump voting Americans are Ignorant, Literally.  Have you considered that Hillary and her campaign were terrible?  Because of her stupidity, she lost when she should have won 55%-45% of the popular vote and more than that in the Electoral College.  And please don't tell us about Russia.  She was the one who unethically conspired with the DNC chair to marginalize Sanders and who set up the unauthorized if not illegal email server.  And all those smart people who voted for this corrupt individual anyway.  You had a chance to nominate Sanders but choose her instead.  So who's ignorant?

I was amazed when I read the (behinds the scene) story on the first speech she gave announcing her run in 2015.  She had no message, no slogan, no theme even, and did not care to even think of any.  She expected everyone she hired to come up with those items. 

Her loss is nothing more then an example of a horribly mismanaged campaign (that even Axelrod said during the campaign) that the responsibility of fell squarely on the shoulders of Hillary.  I also would blame the DNC for allowing Hillary to corrupt them, which was apparently obvious when one day after being force to resign due to obstruction of Bernie, Wasserman Sultz was hired by the HRC campaign. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:20:48 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2017, 04:12:37 pm »

Can someone who is more familiar with american politics than I am explain why it's ok for Trump to demonize muslims while at the same time signing a multi-billion dollar arms deal with the country from where all the 9/11 terrorists came?

Nothing much, just a small three letter word, OIL. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »

Hole getting deeper..."not guilty your honor, I wasn't trying to be racist, I was just trying to be sexist".

(Is that working for anybody else?)

Although I do recognize the racist charge you made, you're really pushing it for sexism on that 2nd statement. 

JoeKitchen

« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2017, 07:03:53 am »

But really, if you think about it, while Putin won some aspects, he lost others. Flynn got fired so he lost an agent in place in the WH. The Russian investigation is chewing up to much air time there's no way Trump would dare bring up easing sanctions. So, in the grand scheme I don't think Putin got all he wanted...but he sure did impact our election and cast doubt on the democratic system. So, he made out ok...

Not anywhere near as much as the Dems picking probably the most flawed candidate to ever hold their ticket in recent history along with HRC tremendous incompetents to run a campaign, which is becoming clearer and clearer as each day goes on.  What amazes me the most is that she repeated the same mistakes she made in 2008; did not learn a damn thing the reporting seems to show. 

This Putin thing is getting pretty old, but I know, looking inward is the hardest thing to do.  Thankfully someone is finally doing so. 

Joe Biden Never Thought Hillary Clinton ...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:10:00 am by JoeKitchen »

JoeKitchen

« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:38 pm »

Steeling one from Jeff; here's article I just read on CNN. 

Hillary Clinton's 'email' problem was bigger than anyone realized
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up