Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 331   Go Down

Author Topic: Trump II  (Read 917655 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Trump II
« Reply #2640 on: May 14, 2017, 08:53:20 am »

I was referring to a government pension above not private.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2641 on: May 14, 2017, 09:03:11 am »

I would like to say not all union projects are sub-par; most turn out very good.  But when your work is not consistently exceptional and you insist on charging high prices, you kind of damage your cause.  Combine this with all the headaches, like the giant Rat, which does more harm then good from a marketing stand point, and people start to hate you. 

Also, many of the protest with the Rat are not in front of large chain stores or big business; I could understand that, although not agree with it.  Most are in front of small businesses, like a local coffee and sandwich shop down the street, or a privately owned daycare around the corner. 
In NYC an journeyman electrician in Local 3 union makes over $100 an hour with benefits.  Who needs college?  Of course, big builders like Trump use union labor.  He didn't build Trump Tower with non-union "scab" labor.  But small companies and startups just can't afford to pay union wages so homes, small businesses, etc get done with non-union workers, many who are immigrants.  I don't know the percentage of how many of those are illegals, but it's a lot.  That's just not in NYC but across the nation.  Illegals keep costs for construction down but take away jobs from Americans.  This has driven a lot of support for Trump from the construction industry.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2642 on: May 14, 2017, 10:09:21 am »

Well, my wife and I are primarily plant based with seafood. We avoid processed foods, high sodium and sugars. I no longer smoke or drink alcohol and I've even switched from Diet Coke to Perrier because of the chemicals and food coloring. We have workout equipment and a personal trainer. I have had serious health issues recently so I'm working on radically improving my health...thanks for asking :~)...

Better late than never  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2643 on: May 14, 2017, 10:23:44 am »

My musician friend told me that he is not allowed to plug his guitar into a wall outlet himself, in union-controlled venues. Instead, they require him to hire an electrician at a rate of $200 per hour (the number per my memory) - way more than he charges for his music performance.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2644 on: May 14, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »

Better late than never  ;)

It is astounding how resilient is the human body and how effective a healthy diet can be.
There are a number of documented cases (with measurable test results and MRI image scans) where a change of lifestyle resulted not only in stabilizing serious and life-threatening conditions, but quite often in a dramatic reversal of the disease. This is true for for heart diseases, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and even some types of cancers.
In my personal circle of friends, my friend's uncle who suffered a heart attack in his sixties, consequently changed his diet and committed to a regular gym exercise, where he exercised to his mid nineties. He died two years ago at age 97.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2645 on: May 14, 2017, 01:12:13 pm »

Wow...what a week! But it ain't over–we still have the Sunday shows to get through. In the meantime just in case somebody still believes Trump when he says This Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made-up story. It's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won., well here's Politifact to the rescue ~)

You can always tell when Trump is lying...his lips move.

How the Germans see Trump (from the latest issue of Spiegel)
The life of the US president must feel like a constant nightmare. One of the kind you are on a stage and suddenly realize that you do not know which piece is played. Or that you do not wear pants.
Again and again, Trump finds himself in situations where his extensive ignorance of elementary facts and context is so obvious that most other people would sink into the ground with shame. But Trump does not even seem to notice this. The Emperor is naked, but he couldn't care less.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2646 on: May 14, 2017, 01:22:02 pm »

the FBI to begin investigating possible ties between the Trump team and Russia in July 2016. That is the start of the story, more than three months before the election.

One would think they would have come up with indictments by now, 10 months later? If there is something to indict for, that is. The rest is a made-up story by the desperate and delusional election losers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:26:17 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2647 on: May 14, 2017, 10:05:37 pm »

Has Trump tweeted about this yet?
--
Robert

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2648 on: May 15, 2017, 06:31:57 am »

Since the 1970's, the selection of FBI Director requires the advice and consent of the Senate.  I wonder if the law should be changed to require the advice and consent of the Senate to fire the FBI director.

If the purpose of the longer terms and Senate approval was to further politically isolate the Director, then the President having the authority to fire at will, reduces that political isolation.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Ray

« Reply #2649 on: May 15, 2017, 07:42:36 am »

It is astounding how resilient is the human body and how effective a healthy diet can be.
There are a number of documented cases (with measurable test results and MRI image scans) where a change of lifestyle resulted not only in stabilizing serious and life-threatening conditions, but quite often in a dramatic reversal of the disease. This is true for for heart diseases, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and even some types of cancers.
In my personal circle of friends, my friend's uncle who suffered a heart attack in his sixties, consequently changed his diet and committed to a regular gym exercise, where he exercised to his mid nineties. He died two years ago at age 97.

I agree, Les. A wholesome diet and regular exercise are the key to a healthy and long life, within the limits of one's genetic disposition.
I get the impression that a lot of confusion results because of the variability of this genetic disposition among individuals. Some people can smoke cigarettes for most of their life, and die at the age of 97 without any symptoms of lung cancer. Others can over eat junk food, not bother to exercise, and yet still not be overweight.

The result of such observations tends to feed the denialism of overweight and obese people who tend to claim that it is their genes that are causing them to be overweight, rather than over eating, because they are not eating more than certain friends or colleagues who are not overweight.

However, the fundamental principle is, one can over eat and not becomes overweight, but one cannot become overweight without over eating.

There's a huge problem in addressing the issue of diet because the processed food industry is so massive and influential, and the complexities of diet combined with individual genetic disposition are so great, almost like climate change.
The processed food industry also employ their own dieticians who might tend to behave like the scientists employed by the tobacco industry, when asked for advice on the harmful effects of certain processed foods.

My own view is that the solution is the introduction of an additional subject on diet, in all schools for children.  The regular subjects are maths, science, literature, history, English, foreign languages, and even religion. Why not introduce a new subject on dietary matters? Too difficult?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2650 on: May 15, 2017, 08:51:34 am »

My own view is that the solution is the introduction of an additional subject on diet, in all schools for children.  The regular subjects are maths, science, literature, history, English, foreign languages, and even religion. Why not introduce a new subject on dietary matters? Too difficult?

You are absolutely right, Ray, the most effective way to educate the general population on the proper nutrition, would be to add such a subject in all schools.
And while we are at it, such classes should be offered as a refreshment course also for all doctors. Most practising physicians never learnt anything about the nutrition as a tool to prevent and heal diseases.
2,500 years ago, Hippocrates believed “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Nowadays, the doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics and betablockers.

James Clark

« Reply #2651 on: May 15, 2017, 09:18:32 am »

One would think they would have come up with indictments by now, 10 months later? If there is something to indict for, that is. The rest is a made-up story by the desperate and delusional election losers.

Nah.  Ken Starr took 9 months just to deal with the Lewinski part of the Bill Clinton/Paula Jones stuff, for example. Plus the House committee was sidetracked by weeks of Nunes' nonsense, and so on. 

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2652 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:00 am »

I have often thought about the advantages of taking the senior year/final semester of high school and, instead of continuing strictly academic studies, concentrate on those skills necessary to become an independent citizen adult. In the final year/semester:

English - Business type writing.  How to write a resume and cover letter.  How to write to a business or an elected office.  How to read legal documents like leases and such.

Math - Budgeting, basic investing, understanding credit, understanding loans... especially student loans!

History - Interpreting current events, How to identify and evaluate biases in information.  Understanding how local, state, and federal government works.  How to conduct research (not academic research, but practical research)

Science - Health and nutrition, Understanding diseases and how to limit the spread of them.  How to identify and evaluate biases in technical information. How to conduct research so one does not depend on Internet forums.  ;D

While one of the purposes of High School is to prepare the student for higher academics, another purpose is to teach the students the basic skills necessary to function as a citizen in today's society.

I have a doctorate and over 30 years experience in my chosen career. The last time I used Calculus was... in my last Calculus class...30+ years ago.   ;D  I think that the majority of adults don't use Calculus in their daily lives.  ;)

But almost on a daily basis, I need to understand all the other stuff in this post.

We have too many students graduating that can do calculus but can't write a simple cover letter or understand the conditions of credit/loans.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2653 on: May 15, 2017, 10:40:20 am »

Since the 1970's, the selection of FBI Director requires the advice and consent of the Senate.  I wonder if the law should be changed to require the advice and consent of the Senate to fire the FBI director.

If the purpose of the longer terms and Senate approval was to further politically isolate the Director, then the President having the authority to fire at will, reduces that political isolation.
All the Secretaries (Defense, State, treasury, etc.) also serve at the pleasure of the President.  Although they are confirmed by the Senate, the President can fire them at will.  Of course, the Director is hired for ten years.  But in the end, someone has to decide if they guy is doing a good job or not.  And he works for the Justice Dept and the President.  A boss should be able to fire a subordinate if he wishes and then, of course,  he'll have to deal with the political fallout.  I don't think we want to get into a whole Senate discussion about firing someone.  Do you want the whole country looking at what you did or didn't do as an employee and listening to criticism and maybe even hearings?  Comey already went though that enough.  It's in the President's corner now to handle the problem and fallout. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2654 on: May 15, 2017, 10:48:40 am »

Nah.  Ken Starr took 9 months just to deal with the Lewinski part of the Bill Clinton/Paula Jones stuff, for example. Plus the House committee was sidetracked by weeks of Nunes' nonsense, and so on. 
Ken Star is why the Democrats want a Special Prosecutor.  Because it will drag on past the 2018 elections and be in the news constantly making it difficult for Republicans to focus on legislating and will effect the election better for the Dems.  It's the same reason they want his tax returns released.  Just another thing to knock the President every day.  The beauty of a Special Prosecutor and tax returns, is that there doesn't have to be anything there.  The press and the politicians can always find something to knock the President.  That's how it works.  Trump should resist on both scores.  Other republicans should know better than to support these two things.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #2655 on: May 15, 2017, 10:56:38 am »

I have often thought about the advantages of taking the senior year/final semester of high school and, instead of continuing strictly academic studies, concentrate on those skills necessary to become an independent citizen adult. In the final year/semester:

English - Business type writing.  How to write a resume and cover letter.  How to write to a business or an elected office.  How to read legal documents like leases and such.

Math - Budgeting, basic investing, understanding credit, understanding loans... especially student loans!

History - Interpreting current events, How to identify and evaluate biases in information.  Understanding how local, state, and federal government works.  How to conduct research (not academic research, but practical research)

Science - Health and nutrition, Understanding diseases and how to limit the spread of them.  How to identify and evaluate biases in technical information. How to conduct research so one does not depend on Internet forums.  ;D

While one of the purposes of High School is to prepare the student for higher academics, another purpose is to teach the students the basic skills necessary to function as a citizen in today's society.

I have a doctorate and over 30 years experience in my chosen career. The last time I used Calculus was... in my last Calculus class...30+ years ago.   ;D  I think that the majority of adults don't use Calculus in their daily lives.  ;)

But almost on a daily basis, I need to understand all the other stuff in this post.

We have too many students graduating that can do calculus but can't write a simple cover letter or understand the conditions of credit/loans.
+1  Also, how about how to dress and conduct yourself in a job interview.  Kids dress like slobs like they're going to McDonalds.

Some of the stuff your mentioned was covered in Social Studies when I was a kid, relating to how government works, American history, patriotism.  What about gym and sports to keep physically heathy? Do they even cover this stuff anymore?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #2656 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:40 am »

I have often thought about the advantages of taking the senior year/final semester of high school and, instead of continuing strictly academic studies, concentrate on those skills necessary to become an independent citizen adult...

Makes sense. Instead, we have this as the "modern educayshun" (an Aussie comedian's take):

https://www.facebook.com/seen.everything/videos/1154800587957810/

(Sorry for the Facebook link, couldn't find the original)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:16:47 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2657 on: May 15, 2017, 11:37:57 am »

U.S. lawmakers ask Trump to turn over any Comey tapes:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-fbi-idUSKCN18A0TU

"U.S. lawmakers on Sunday called on President Donald Trump to turn over any tapes of conversations with fired FBI chief James Comey, potentially setting up a showdown with the White House as Democrats considered a boycott of the vote on Comey's replacement.

In a highly unusual move, Trump last week appeared to suggest on Twitter that he might have tapes of conversations with Comey and warned the former director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation against talking to the media. Trump and a White House spokesman declined to confirm or deny whether such tapes exist.

Republican Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said the White House must "clear the air" about whether there are any taped conversations.

"You can't be cute about tapes. If there are any tapes of this conversation, they need to be turned over," Graham told NBC's "Meet the Press" program. "

Edit: Treasury unit to share records with Senate for Trump-Russia probe: WSJ
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-treasury-idUSKBN188314

"The Senate probe took on added significance after Trump dismissed FBI Director James Comey earlier this week amid an agency investigation into alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and possible Moscow ties to the Trump presidential campaign."

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:02:08 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Otto Phocus

« Reply #2658 on: May 15, 2017, 01:03:49 pm »

that's the bad thing about bluffing.. sometimes your bluff is called.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2659 on: May 15, 2017, 02:07:12 pm »

that's the bad thing about bluffing.. sometimes your bluff is called.

Indeed, and the backfire may be even worse:
"Trump's threat about tapes has intensified calls from Democrats for an independent probe of alleged Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. election.

Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer said Trump must immediately provide Congress with any tapes and warned that destroying existing tapes would violate the law."

So even if there were no tapes, the allegation could be that they were destroyed ...

Stupid move by Trump, once again.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 331   Go Up