Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 10 - Fed up with paying for annual upgrades?  (Read 12865 times)

narikin

Capture One Pro 10 - Fed up with paying for annual upgrades?
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:04:12 pm »

Anyone else getting fed up with being milked for $99/year for 'features' that really should be fixes made under existing licences - like the LCC issue for IQ3-100 backs?

It seems Phase are quick to decide it's a new generation of software and charge us to get it to fix their bugs/errors, along with relatively minor improvements.

I spent $35000 on their back(!) this year, and feel I should get the latest software for a year at least, included in that price. Sheesh, try telling me that's not a reasonable expectation!

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Capture One Pro 10 - Fed up with paying for annual upgrades?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »

Why are you complaining ?!? Their DB version for all their backs has been and still is free. So you DON'T have to spent ANYTHING.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

TheDocAUS

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:57 pm »

I am in no rush to upgrade.

Version 10 looks more like refinements than new features, add the poor Pentax support and I probably won't upgrade.

narikin

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:17 pm »

Because I, like everyone here, own other cameras too, and paid them $35000 for one of their backs - shouldn't I be entitled to their latest FULL software for a year, rather than paying for upgrades every 10 months?

It's not like I can leave v9 on my computer for Sony and Canon files, and get v10 in DB only for my IQ3-100, so I'm forced into paying for the upgrade if I want to fix the LCC issue, or... loose support for Sony and Canon, if I want v10 for free in DB mode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:40:59 pm by narikin »

N80

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »

Because I, like everyone here, own other cameras too, and paid them $35000 for one of their backs - shouldn't I be entitled to their latest FULL software for a year, rather than paying for upgrades every 10 months?

It's not like I can leave v9 on my computer for Sony and Canon files, and get v10 in DB only for my IQ3-100, so I'm forced into paying for the upgrade if I want to fix the LCC issue, or... loose support for Sony and Canon, if I want v10 for free in DB mode.

First off, I don't think anyone is "entitled" to anything that they weren't promised. Second, you don't have to upgrade. Third, your argument doubles back on itself. You spent $35,000 for a piece of a camera and are now complaining about another $99 (there is a voucher, I'm told, for 10% off).

Having said that, we all have our breaking point when it comes to expectations from companies we deal with. For me, an amateur, I'm done with Aperture (sadly), deeply dislike Adobe (who make the Phase One folks look like the Good Samaritan in comparison) and don't see anything else out there that meets my needs. So I'm happy with CO. Probably stick with 9 for a while but speed improvements do beckon, even though they might just be marketing hype.
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

narikin

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 07:36:00 pm »

ok - so more constructively: is there a way to keep v9Pro on my machine, and have v10DB on there also, for the IQ back work?

N80

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:34:24 pm »

ok - so more constructively: is there a way to keep v9Pro on my machine, and have v10DB on there also, for the IQ back work?

Both appear to be residing on my iMac. I'm wondering just the opposite: How do I get CO9 off my hard drive?
George

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:55:41 pm »

How do I get CO9 off my hard drive?

deactivate first then uninstall ..
https://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac?ex=TOP-481.0

N80

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »

Thank you. But wondering why both are still there. This does not typically happen with other software. Usually the most recent version takes the place of the previous one.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:08:09 pm by N80 »
George

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 10:29:51 pm »

I saw the announcement posted online this morning, downloaded the update and saw that my CO9 was not a free update. I'm beginning to feel like a Leaf cash cow, making a $99 payment every twelve moths for incremental improvements after making a lump sum payment of $299 for CO8. I think that I'll wait to upgrade. It's a fairly low fee but I too busy justifying my Adobe CC account.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 04:42:43 am »

Hi,

They install side by side (in their own folders/subdirectories).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 04:51:39 am »

Thank you. But wondering why both are still there. This does not typically happen with other software. Usually the most recent version takes the place of the previous one.

Hi,

That's not my experience (on Windows) unless I override the default path and instruct the installer to use the same subdirectory. It's better to deinstall the previous product, reboot, and install the new product. Or you could use the instructions in the Capture One knowledge-base about completely removing older versions because un-installing could leave some traces of e.g. newly created files after installation.

Keeping the previous version will allow for a fallback option in case something turns out to be broken in the new version and you cannot wait for a fixed update.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

N80

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 08:08:49 am »

Typically on a Mac, at least in terms of appearances (I don't know what actually happens) when you do a point upgrade, 9.0 to 10.0 for example, it is not treated as 2 separate apps. Version 9 is upgraded to version 10. 9 no longer exists as a separate entity. I much prefer this approach.

So now that I have 9 and 10 on my machine I'm not sure what to do. I see no reason to keep 9. It sounds like uninstalling could have some risk? I don't know. Sounds like uninstalling it could also leave residual garbage behind too. I'll put in a support request.

I did not see, during the upgrade process, instructions to delete the previous version before installing the new one. I guess I did not look well enough.
George

Chris D

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 08:37:54 am »

Why don't you talk to your dealer or p1 directly? I'd imagine they'll take care of you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 09:26:13 am »

Typically on a Mac, at least in terms of appearances (I don't know what actually happens) when you do a point upgrade, 9.0 to 10.0 for example, it is not treated as 2 separate apps. Version 9 is upgraded to version 10. 9 no longer exists as a separate entity. I much prefer this approach.

So now that I have 9 and 10 on my machine I'm not sure what to do. I see no reason to keep 9. It sounds like uninstalling could have some risk? I don't know. Sounds like uninstalling it could also leave residual garbage behind too. I'll put in a support request.

I did not see, during the upgrade process, instructions to delete the previous version before installing the new one. I guess I did not look well enough.
I could not be easier. Just drag CO 9 to the bin. Done.

CO10 is not a point update over CO 9. From 9.2 to 9.3 is a point update.
CO 10 is an upgrade. A new version number installed in its own folder and with its own preferences.

Removing CO9 after having installed CO10 does not harm CO10.

Hope this helps.

RobertJ

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 03:45:36 pm »

I've decided to keep 9.3 for a little while, and wait for 10.x or 11, as I won't see any benefit to my A7RII files with this version 10.  I know they always push these new versions, but it doesn't mean you HAVE to upgrade right away.

N80

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:44:46 pm »

I could not be easier. Just drag CO 9 to the bin. Done.

Thank you.

CO10 is not a point update over CO 9. From 9.2 to 9.3 is a point update.
CO 10 is an upgrade. A new version number installed in its own folder and with its own preferences.

Okay, I got the terminology wrong. Nevertheless, i never recall having to discard previous versions of Aperture or LR. Maybe my memory is bad.

Removing CO9 after having installed CO10 does not harm CO10.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thank you, it does. And thanks for the discount voucher from your site. Its the main reason I jumped on this upgrade. I usually wait.
George

narikin

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 07:46:29 pm »

Tried to install v10 in DB mode, while leaving my v9 Pro on my computer (Windows 10)
Nope - major fail - you can install both, but it wipes out all your preferences.

Useless. back to original complaint - yes Phase One might decide to call this an 'Upgrade' but I consider fixing the LCC for their $35,000 back customers, not an 'upgrade' but a bug fix. Definitely not something to ask another $99 for. That is plainly gouging people for an error on their part.

Phase have pissed me off, as a loyal customer of 10 years and 5 backs.  I'm going to look seriously at investing in the Fuji MF system when it comes.  Charging me $99 to fix their program errors on a VERY expensive back? - no thank you. They should have released the fix for IQ3-100 LCC's in a v9.x update, and then put v10 out there for anyone who buys into that.

I've made my point, so: rant over!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:54:41 pm by narikin »

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 10:45:21 pm »

Tried to install v10 in DB mode, while leaving my v9 Pro on my computer (Windows 10)
Nope - major fail - you can install both, but it wipes out all your preferences.

It most definitely did not wipe out my preferences.  Everything on the preferances pages was retained, even the keyboard shortcuts.  If with preferences you mean your desktop arrangement, simply load it from your Window > Workspace.  If you never saved your workspace in version 9, just open it and save your workspace, then close version 9 and open version 10 and do what I wrote above.  Everything should be exactly where you had it.  But if you are referring to the settings in preferences, on both my Windows and Mac, all the preferences were retained.  What did not transfer though is camera specific defaults for the various tools.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:42:27 pm by E.J. Peiker »

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 03:39:44 am »

Okay, I got the terminology wrong. Nevertheless, i never recall having to discard previous versions of Aperture or LR. Maybe my memory is bad.

Yes, your memory is bad. :)

This does indeed happen with major Lightroom upgrades.  Just like with LR, as Bart says, they keep the previous version on there as a fallback - for major releases.  However, [on Windows], I've never had things get broken when uninstalling the previous version.  At worst I've had to delete an old directory that was left undeleted for whatever reason after the uninstall.

What's up for debate though, is whether C1P v10 is perceived as a major upgrade over v9..  Seems awfully incremental, to me.  But on the same token, due to it's minor-ness - if one doesn't want/choose to upgrade, then they're not missing much either IMO.  (And I'd agree with Narikin, that regardless of the differential cost points made, the LCC fix should be put in the 9.x series also.  Maybe they will?)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:57:09 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up