Speaking of DeLorean and Tesla: I have seen P1 always as something like a mixture between Avon and Maybach ... its a pimped up Mercedes S, but with a nice "concierge service" (as someone called it) included. And, like Avon, there are "photographic" friends which meet in PODAS workshops and recommend the latest products to each other. This is an old, very effective, marketing technique ...
It goes without saying that this concierge service and extra marketing effort has its (high) cost and I would only pay it, if I would also like to use it (which I personally do certainly not).
Until now, especially with the XF platform, P1 had an obvious technological lead over Hasselblad, the only real competitor from a system point of view: 100mp "full frame" Sony sensor, state of the art electronic platform, nice lenses from Germany, modern touch UI, state of the art software, fast central shutters speeds). As I see it, nearly ALL of this advantages have gone away from one day to another: same sensors, new software generation Phocus 3.0, much better central shutter speeds of 1/2000, state of the art electronic platform, nice touch UI. Worse, Hasselblad has even some advantages (tilt/shift without need to buy a tech system, dual card slots, video, analog backs, etc.) which might or might not be important to some potential buyers. Sure, P1 has also some advantages like 1/4000 shutter speed, earthquake warning, focus stacking without using Helicon, which also might or might not be important to some potential buyers.
And then this aggressive price strategy from Hasselblad. As someone pointed out, it's the transparent UPGRADE proposal which is so attractive. If I would be interested in a 100mp sensor, I would buy tomorrow a used H3D or H4D for, say, 2.000-3000 USD/EUR and would trade it in. With that, the price difference between the H6D and IQ 100 is HUUUGHE. I could buy a bunch of 3-4 additional lenses and am all set with less money as for the P1 body alone. Somebody said, P1 also offers discounts when you trade in an old back. Problem is, you don't know as they make a big secret of it, …. and if you don't already have an old P1 back, its quite difficult to buy one on ebay (compared to Hasselblad at least).
Also I am not convinced that there is no price sensitivity in the MF market, the success of Pentax and the claimed Hasselblad sales increase with the "holiday discounts" tell another story. I would bet that Hasselblad, as soon as the upgrade program finishes, will lower the prices for the H6D in order to maintain the attractive price differential. If not, the price increase between the old H5D 50mp and the new H6D 50mp would be just too steep.
So, to answer the initial question, P1, in my opinion, THIS TIME has to and will lower their prices in order to not loose substantial market share.
The Maybach manufacture, at least, ceased to operate since 2012 ….. I understand because this business model was not profitable anymore.