Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 9 Released!  (Read 32503 times)

orc73

Re: Capture One Pro 9 Released!
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2015, 04:27:16 am »

I just got a surface pro 4 with the i5 cpu for tethered shooting on location and basic selection/edit work on the go.
Now evaluating if LR or C1 is the tool to go, I have the adobe subscription and downloaded the c1 9 demo. No question c1 is better for tether and I can attach a c1 pilot for my customer(no, the adobe solution over cc server is not a valid solution). The 'dual monitor' workspace works nice, brings up a near fullscreen view window(on the sp4 display of course) which gives me big enough view. That interface seems better for me on the touch display for tether, then the lr touch mode.
One thing not working is the the color editor 'sub tab' won't open on the sp4, some bug? I disabled the opencl, no change. (btw LR does not support this graphics chip, have to disable it in order to work properly)

The rest works fine, while in default workspace mode touch function is a bit blehh. I would love to see a bit of optimization here, a touch tablet with enough power is a cool thing for tethering - would complement with c1 superior tethering.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2015, 05:07:26 am »

I just got a surface pro 4 with the i5 cpu for tethered shooting on location and basic selection/edit work on the go.
Now evaluating if LR or C1 is the tool to go, I have the adobe subscription and downloaded the c1 9 demo. No question c1 is better for tether and I can attach a c1 pilot for my customer(no, the adobe solution over cc server is not a valid solution). The 'dual monitor' workspace works nice, brings up a near fullscreen view window(on the sp4 display of course) which gives me big enough view. That interface seems better for me on the touch display for tether, then the lr touch mode.
One thing not working is the the color editor 'sub tab' won't open on the sp4, some bug? I disabled the opencl, no change. (btw LR does not support this graphics chip, have to disable it in order to work properly)

The rest works fine, while in default workspace mode touch function is a bit blehh. I would love to see a bit of optimization here, a touch tablet with enough power is a cool thing for tethering - would complement with c1 superior tethering.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm considering but have not decided on a Surface Pro 4 yet. It's good to know the combination is working/workable.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

orc73

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2015, 05:53:27 am »

you are welcome Bart!
I do not have the keyboard(yet). Touch is not as you might be used to it on an ipad. Often need to touch 2-3 times until it gets it. And the on screen keyboard does not always come up automatically when you need to type some text. Browsing in menues can also be a bit flimsy. So this is not an apple planed in detail product :)
I hope they optimize the software soon on the input issue. It is convenient, without the ipad limitation, and naturally without the ipad ease of use.

orc73

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2015, 05:58:12 am »

sorry this got a bit off topic :) I posted it here because of the issues with the color editor tab.

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2015, 03:35:41 pm »

Checkbox at the bottom - Do not show again.  ;)

There's no checkbox showing up at all, here.  Is there a way to edit a config file to turn it off?
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2015, 03:45:41 am »

There's no checkbox showing up at all, here.  Is there a way to edit a config file to turn it off?

Are you on the trial?
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 03:52:59 am »

Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

• Capture One
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 06:20:55 am »

David Grover

Manoli

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2015, 07:38:09 am »

@ David Grover

There's been some talk about the 'new' and improved output resolution engine in V9. When up-rezzing output does V9 work on the RAW data or does it first convert into TIFF/JPEG format and up-rez from there (and ditto for downsize) ?

Thanks.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2015, 08:03:46 am »

Make sure the color edit sub tab has room to open. On the S2 and s3 I have to drag it away from the main toolset column on the left. Then it should open fine. I believe it's an issue with the density of the screen resolution/size of the screen.

I agree to tether you can't go wrong with the Surface and C1.  You can read a lot more on tethering and solutions here www.kendoo.com.   Ken has written quite a bit on this solution.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2015, 08:14:07 am »

There's been some talk about the 'new' and improved output resolution engine in V9. When up-rezzing output does V9 work on the RAW data or does it first convert into TIFF/JPEG format and up-rez from there (and ditto for downsize) ?

Hi Manoli,

I'm not privy to the internals of C1, but it is clear to me sofar that the downsampling quality is much better, and that it's probably due to the concepts that Nicolas Robidoux and I tested/discussed in another thread. Since part of the magic is in resampling in a linear gamma space, or something close to that, it seems logical to assume that rescaling is partly based on the demosaiced Raw-ish data before being gamma pre-compensated for output, but also partly in gamma adjusted space.

So I guess it's hard to label it in simple terms, but the result is much better than it used to be. I have not tested it yet for upsampling and other distortions (e.g. keystone correction and lens distortion corrections), so I'm not sure, yet, what has changed there.

One thing I am missing (a lot) though, is a good preview of how the sharpening settings will affect the rescaled result, and a more advanced sharpening option for improved sharpening when processing time is less important, but best output sharpness quality is of the essence.
As far as I can see now (athough I could be mistaken), the sharpening settings are applied at 100% and then resampled, while the reverse order would be required. Sharpening as the last step is almost 'always' the best method, but without being able to preview it it becomes a guessing game.

Such an accurate sharpening preview at the final output size is also needed in the print module.

Cheers,
Bart

Manoli

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2015, 08:38:35 am »

Hi Bart,

Many thanks your reply. Yes, my initial tests showed an improvement in downsampling but without your input couldn't attribute it to specifically what gives and I'm particularly wary of the 'placebo' effect - i.e. not trusting one's own eyes!  Hopefully, PhaseOne will enlighten us. Equally, I'm not sure what I'm seeing in the up-rez - though for the moment it's really an academic exercise as I've no 'real' use for it other than, in special cases, up-sampling / post / down sample. My suspicion is ( has been since V8) that there is work on the RAW data, similar to Iridient.

Sharpening always baffles me. For Capture sharpening I've settled on output from C1 to Ps, up-rez, Focusmagic on a layer, opacity to taste with masking if necessary and then Topaz Detail for Output sharpening. Else it's simple C1 settings with a bias to under-sharpen.

Hopefully David Grover can shed some light on both the up-rez and the points you raise.

Best,
Manoli

orc73

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2015, 02:03:03 pm »

Make sure the color edit sub tab has room to open. On the S2 and s3 I have to drag it away from the main toolset column on the left. Then it should open fine. I believe it's an issue with the density of the screen resolution/size of the screen.

Indeed it seems to be the problem. i need to drag the window completely out of the tools section and have it free on the screen in order to expand. thanks! If I remember right I could configure a separate tab for it. i will try that later.

By the way the link seems to be wrong :)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2015, 02:35:17 pm »

Indeed it seems to be the problem. i need to drag the window completely out of the tools section and have it free on the screen in order to expand. thanks! If I remember right I could configure a separate tab for it. i will try that later.

By the way the link seems to be wrong :)

U just double checked and you are right. The color editor tool has to be dragged away from the main tab to get it to open.  It seems to be an issue with only the surface pro line.

Sorry on the link. Here is the correct one.

https://kendoophotography.wordpress.com

Paul C
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 07:21:11 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alain

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2015, 02:46:19 pm »

..., and a more advanced sharpening option for improved sharpening when processing time is less important, but best output sharpness quality is of the essence.
Cheers,
Bart
Bart

An "ultimate quality" option would be maybe nice for other things as well, for example noise reduction and probably other things also.  I wouldn't mind such a setting in an process recipe, even if checking it would mean that processing time goes up 10 or 50-fold.

Alain

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2015, 07:53:26 pm »

Bart

An "ultimate quality" option would be maybe nice for other things as well, for example noise reduction and probably other things also.  I wouldn't mind such a setting in an process recipe, even if checking it would mean that processing time goes up 10 or 50-fold.

Hi Alain,

I obviously agree, but I also know that it is not only processing time, but probably also user interface (and usage) complexity. But as an option it would still be welcome for those who have the knowledge and perseverance to use it.

I know from experience that it would also be an (achievable) opportunity to develop a really clever implementation of a solution and design of a user interface that makes complex things easier to use. The whole subject of 'sharpening' (and I mean real sharpening, not simple edge or acutance enhancement) remains largely underdeveloped in most imaging applications.

I'm currently testing my own solution prototypes (automatic spatially variant image analysis and a heuristics driven approach to aid the user in choosing the optimal parameters where they are not already available, e.g. from the EXIF metadata), and maybe need to patent them first ...
But time and monetary resources are slowing things down a bit.

Cheers,
Bart

tingyat

• Rogan Coles Photo Archive
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2015, 04:26:30 am »

Hi all,

Read about the C1 9 release on DPReview over this past weekend. I guess the Phase One newsletter is sent to a select few, this despite me continually checking the check box for this service on the update page.

Like quite a few others on this thread, I too upgraded to version 8 in late October - October 20 that is. What makes this "abrupt" release all the more bothersome, is that Phase One released a minor update after I had made this purchase . WHY, one wonders, when a major release was pending? Its a bit like sending up a balloon, as in a false-positive thing, that there were or maybe more minor updates in the offering and this before the advent of a major release that might be pending. I mean 8.3.4 is a long, long way off version 9, not that this matters.

I also agree with the sentiment that a fairer moratorium should be be offered to those who made a recent purchase or updated recently. I mean I could go back and download the version 9 and run it as trial and continue to do this on each point release but, this is more or less pointless and this from both sides - me as user who would then only use Capture One on an intermittent basis on the one side and Phase One, on the other side, who is not only looking to keep and retain their customers but also foster "ambassadors" who are likely to refer or promote Capture One to other users.

Wonder why sometimes but, there we are...

• Capture One
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2015, 06:32:09 am »

Hi all,

Read about the C1 9 release on DPReview over this past weekend. I guess the Phase One newsletter is sent to a select few, this despite me continually checking the check box for this service on the update page.

Like quite a few others on this thread, I too upgraded to version 8 in late October - October 20 that is. What makes this "abrupt" release all the more bothersome, is that Phase One released a minor update after I had made this purchase . WHY, one wonders, when a major release was pending? Its a bit like sending up a balloon, as in a false-positive thing, that there were or maybe more minor updates in the offering and this before the advent of a major release that might be pending. I mean 8.3.4 is a long, long way off version 9, not that this matters.

I also agree with the sentiment that a fairer moratorium should be be offered to those who made a recent purchase or updated recently. I mean I could go back and download the version 9 and run it as trial and continue to do this on each point release but, this is more or less pointless and this from both sides - me as user who would then only use Capture One on an intermittent basis on the one side and Phase One, on the other side, who is not only looking to keep and retain their customers but also foster "ambassadors" who are likely to refer or promote Capture One to other users.

Wonder why sometimes but, there we are...

Hi T,

Updates are often brought out for many reasons, not just for feature updates.  Camera support, lens support, OS support.  8.3.4 primarily addressed those issues.

If we hadn't added support for El Capitan in v8 then we could come up wit the issues of those not wanting to upgrade to 9 (your choice of course) but not being compatible with the latest OS from Apple.  Then of course you are 'forced' to upgrade for OS compatibility - you can probably imagine how popular that move would be.

D
David Grover

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2015, 06:41:58 am »

Hi all,

Hi,

You may want to check your Capture One preferences, the software can check for updates/upgrades automatically, and will inform you if something new is available.

Like quite a few others on this thread, I too upgraded to version 8 in late October - October 20 that is. What makes this "abrupt" release all the more bothersome, is that Phase One released a minor update after I had made this purchase .

I would rather see this as positive. They do not stop improving the current version you are running if something new is on its way.

I also agree with the sentiment that a fairer moratorium should be be offered to those who made a recent purchase or updated recently.

I agree that a slightly longer grace period would have been nice, but have you tried contacting Phase One directly, to see if something can be worked out ...? They may not want to publish it openly that they can modify the formal terms (where to pull the line in the sand, there is always someone who missed it by a day/week/month), but they are reasonable folks in the end.

Cheers,
Bart

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2015, 06:53:01 am »

The whole subject of 'sharpening' (and I mean real sharpening, not simple edge or acutance enhancement) remains largely underdeveloped in most imaging applications.

With the very notable exception of Iridient Developper though.

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up