Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 9 Released!  (Read 32500 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Capture One Pro 9 Released!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:27 am »

Pretty bad timing, I guess. Can't spend the money at this time. I will pass on it.

If you're in LA you're welcome to register and stop by our Tune Up Day. We are raffling off a full v9 license:
https://digitaltransitions.com/event/event/dt-los-angeles-gear-tune-up-day-complimentary-12-02-2015

AlterEgo

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2015, 10:06:56 am »

Pretty bad timing, I guess. Can't spend the money at this time. I will pass on it.

the right way will be to prorate, gracefully going from free to $99 to the full cost... abrupt changes day less/day more are no good

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2015, 10:13:04 am »

Yes, no reply.

D.

Check on your profile on Phaseone.com - you would have got a reply in 24 hours.  Email notification may have been spam filtered.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Doug Peterson

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 10:14:25 am »

the right way will be to prorate, gracefully going from free to $99 to the full cost... abrupt changes day less/day more are no good

Can you please name a software company or two that uses the system you describe, so that I can pass on the point of comparison to the team at Phase One to consider for future updates? I'm not aware of any, but it sounds like a nice (if fairly complicated) way of going.

AlterEgo

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 10:22:24 am »

Can you please name a software company or two that uses the system you describe, so that I can pass on the point of comparison to the team at Phase One to consider for future updates? I'm not aware of any, but it sounds like a nice (if fairly complicated) way of going.

yes, it is complicated - that is true - but don't you think it sounds more fair to the users ? as for being complicated - everything is automated, so the software will be calculating, not some dude with abacus and P1 can claim the innovation here  ;D .... or may be even patent that (if no prior art)

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2015, 11:05:11 am »

If you're in LA you're welcome to register and stop by our Tune Up Day. We are raffling off a full v9 license:
https://digitaltransitions.com/event/event/dt-los-angeles-gear-tune-up-day-complimentary-12-02-2015

Nope Im  in NY  :(

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2015, 11:05:44 am »

For those who are interested in a review of Capture One Pro 9, you are welcome to visit my page at
http://imagealchemist.net/capture-one-pro-9-review/

An Ambassador voucher is also in the review for a 10% discount. Thank you.

Just did the upgrade from version 8 to 9 using the 10% discount code his site had and the code works with the upgrade. Downloaded and installed with no issues.

Cheers,

Stu

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:08 am »

Just did the upgrade from version 8 to 9 using the 10% discount code his site had and the code works with the upgrade. Downloaded and installed with no issues.

Same here, sofar no negative issues detected, only improvements. It's more than nice being able to do a color correction based on a Color Editor selection mask (blue sky between branches comes to mind), and of course no color shifts due to brightness/contrast/curves adjustments was long overdue, but now it's there. Keywording seems to have made a leap ahead as well.

I'm looking forward to testing the rescaling quality (maybe I can now use the output recipes more for that as well, e.g. websize output more properly down-sampled), it should help keystone corrections and lens distortion corrections as well.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2015, 12:10:53 pm »

I invite you all to read our in depth article on Capture One 9.

Doug, in your article under the section The Basics (keywording) you have a couple of instances of using the word "keyboarding" rather than "keywording" ;)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 12:13:25 pm »

Doug, in your review under the section The Basics (keywording) you have a couple of instances of using the word "keyboarding" rahter than "Keywording" ;)

It beats waterboarding ... :o

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 12:13:42 pm »

I think there is a (major!) memory leak in the preview generation code.

I was testing and generating about 5000 previews, and partway through OS X told me I was running out of application memory.

Capture One Pro 9 was using about 90 GB of RAM.

This is clearly a bug; you should go back and release memory once you've generated a preview.

I'll quit Capture One when it becomes responsive, but right now I'd have to force quit as I have the dark/light blue pinwheel, which I assume is Capture One specific.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:16 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

ROFLMAO - thanks for the chuckle this AM :D

Doug Peterson

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:44 pm »

Doug, in your article under the section The Basics (keywording) you have a couple of instances of using the word "keyboarding" rather than "keywording" ;)

Thanks! I've corrected the typo.

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 02:45:52 pm »

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »

Great Paul, I (being Dutch) was just searching for a voucher ;)

Cheers,
Bart
Good to hear Bart, happy I could help a fellow Dutchman.  ;D

Dan Wells

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 03:08:56 pm »

I have the same problem with Phase One's free upgrade policy that a previous poster noted - C1 Pro 9 looks great, but I bought 8 (upgrade from a very old license I got from a colleague who moved to Lightroom because he didn't like the C1 interface) in the middle of October, and I don't get a free upgrade). Phase was great in letting me upgrade the old license to 8, but then had the very short free upgrade period from 8 to 9, when 9 wasn't a predicted upgrade. I don't mind short free windows if you know when the upgrades are coming, so you can avoid buying a program right before an upgrade comes out.

Adobe used to do this before CC,  Photoshop always came out in June, and sales dropped off after the new year, because you'd hold on if AT ALL possible. The free upgrade window was very short - only a couple of weeks before the announcement, plus the month or so between announcement and release.

Microsoft used to follow the opposite model - Office came out at random times (although there were enough leaks that it was possible to guess), but the free upgrade window was 3-6 months, so nobody was stuck with brand-new Office that was already a version old!

C1 Pro 9 dropped completely out of the blue - there was no mention on the Luminous forum prior to the release (I just looked back), and has only a month's free upgrade period, leaving a lot of people who recently purchased (or returned to) C1 out in the cold. Many of us bought in response to Adobe's import antics in mid-October. At least I know that my story is that I'd been using Lightroom, but wasn't terribly happy with the color rendering (especially on Fuji and Sony files - Adobe gets Canon right, but the farther you go from Canon, the worse it is, and don't dare feed them X-Trans), had been experimenting with Capture One trials for years (and knew I had access to this old unused license I could buy cheap and upgrade), but had never pulled the trigger. I finally bought C1 when Adobe pulled the import downgrade, and have my library all moved over. I'm much happier with the colors, am learning the interface and getting pretty good, and don't especially like the DAM. Now, here comes C1 Pro 9 (with a major DAM upgrade), and I miss the upgrade by two weeks and a day (my install date is Oct. 14).

Making things worse, I'm an educational user (photo faculty at a university), and can't find Phase One's educational pricing anywhere (if such a thing exists), so I'm stuck buying two successive upgrades less than two months apart (the first, admittedly, a 4 version jump from an application that hadn't been used in years) at commercial pricing. Capture One is expensive enough that buying an upgrade to C1 is equivalent to buying a whole new copy of any other raw converter.

David, can you talk to your colleagues about whether there might be an option for free (or something like 50% off - I'd feel pretty good about a $49 upgrade) upgrades for those of us who bought C1 Pro relatively recently, but missed the 30 days? I think the fairest possible outcome would be to push the free upgrades back another 30 days, which would get past the Adobe import downgrade that brought in new C1 users, and then offer several months of $49 upgrades (going back to the spring?)...

Dan

John77

• Zenfolio
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 04:03:17 pm »

Hi. Same here. Bought an upgrade on the 20th of October with the intention to finally dive deeper in C1 (after last LR little issue... and few new features) and now already a new release. It looks great but C1 will begin to cost me more than my LR/PS CC account if I want to keep up. For an hobby, I have to make some choice.

Let's hope Phase One will extend a bit its upgrade period policy. Still, I understand that a line has to be drawn somewhere. For now, I will start with a trial period, almost same amount of time since my last paid upgrade.

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »

- LUMA Curves - i.e Luminance adjustment only with the power of the curve tool   -  HALLELUJAH!!!

- Keyword Library Manager and new Keyword tool -  Double, Triple HALLELUJAH!!!

Hmm. Bit of a shame I've migrated to Lightroom....
--
David Mantripp

Doug Peterson

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 04:25:12 pm »

Making things worse, I'm an educational user (photo faculty at a university), and can't find Phase One's educational pricing anywhere (if such a thing exists), so I'm stuck buying two successive upgrades less than two months apart (the first, admittedly, a 4 version jump from an application that hadn't been used in years) at commercial pricing. Capture One is expensive enough that buying an upgrade to C1 is equivalent to buying a whole new copy of any other raw converter.

David, can you talk to your colleagues about whether there might be an option for free (or something like 50% off - I'd feel pretty good about a $49 upgrade) upgrades for those of us who bought C1 Pro relatively recently, but missed the 30 days? I think the fairest possible outcome would be to push the free upgrades back another 30 days, which would get past the Adobe import downgrade that brought in new C1 users, and then offer several months of $49 upgrades (going back to the spring?)...

We do EDU pricing all the time. If you're in the US contact jsl@digitaltransitions.com

As referenced at the end of our article:
https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/capture-one-pro-9

Re "out of the blue", Capture One Pro is released on a 12-18 month release cycle. So expect the next one around winter of 2016 or spring of 2017.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:28:42 pm by Doug Peterson »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 04:28:22 pm »

Hi,

Bart you are right, of course but it may depend on the POV. Some folks may even enjoy it, but probably not those subjected to it…

Best regards
Erik

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up