Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7r II announced...  (Read 45088 times)

Torbjörn Tapani

Re: Sony a7r II announced...
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 02:08:18 am »

This sure looks like my next camera. The replacement for the D800E.

Stand-out features in order of importance for me:
- sensor of at least d800 level
- flip screen
- electronic shutter
- ibis
- wifi

It doesn't hurt that it comes in a compact body with on sensor phase detect af but that is just bonus. Nikon might be forgiven for no ibis but a flip screen and wifi is just a must have.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 02:17:36 am »

This sure looks like my next camera. The replacement for the D800E.

Brilliant, the more people write that faster we are going to be a D5x! ;)

Jokes aside, this new Sony is very tempting!

Cheers,
Bernard

Shakyphoto (Slim)

• Shakyphoto
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 02:29:48 am »

Now that the sensor is backside illuminated, could the a7r mkii now take wide angle rangefinder lenses without color fringing on the sensor edges?  Using Leica M and Zeiss ZM i have color fringing on anything 35mm and below and I even get color fringing on my DSLR 21mm Zeiss lens with metabones adapter (but manageable).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:32:14 am by Slim »
Wandering the World, Watching for Wonders
http://www.shakyphoto.com
http://www.fb.com/Shakyphoto

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 02:52:48 am »

With 42MPixels- they need to use a lossless RAW format.

Is there any information on the compression scheme used?
Apparently still using the same 11 bit lossy compression.
Sony are getting there but I'm not tempted until the range of native lenses is better. Compressing the raw could be deal breaker, but I can you see any effect of this in print?
This may sound weird but the shutter volume is one thing I really care about.
David

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:23 am »

Still only holds a single memory card ?
Damn, almost had me..

BrianVS

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:30 am »

Sony are getting there but I'm not tempted until the range of native lenses is better. Compressing the raw could be deal breaker, but I can you see any effect of this in print?
David

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/sony-craw-arw2-posterization-detection

Hard to believe that the world's "best full-frame sensor" will be subjected to a lossy compression scheme. The compression efficiency isn't much better than one that is truly lossless.

Hopefully Sony will give the option in firmware to use truly lossless, like Nikon does. OR sell the sensor to a company that can quit destroying the image.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 06:19:41 am »

Still only holds a single memory card ?
Damn, almost had me..

Really??? How is it possible to still produce cameras in 2015 with a single memory card with all the risk it represents?

I had problems with high end SD cards twice since Jan and got saved by the CF... I am still tempted, but the scope is reducing to un-important trips.  :-[

Cheers,
Bernard

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 06:33:12 am »

We've been asking Sony to do exactly that for two years and they haven't.  So I doubt that they will.  Sony's firmware updates rarely bring anything other than obvious bug fixes to the party and then they aren't real good at releasing them.  For example the 1.20 firmware bug fix was released in Japan a couple of months ago and was never introduced anywhere else even though the bug exists for all cameras.  If you want the update, you need to get it off a Japanese only Sony site.  Sony is pretty clueless when it comes to after sale product support compared to any other camera manufacturer.  Very innovative products but the second they come to market they pretty much forget about them and move on to the next thing.  I like my a7R a lot and will probably buy an a7R2 but that is with the understanding of expecting nothing whatsoever after the sale.  Also be prepared for virtually any damage being deemed "not repairable" even though it is.  There's an article on that on the LensRentals blog.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 07:03:05 am »

We've been asking Sony to do exactly that for two years and they haven't.  So I doubt that they will.  Sony's firmware updates rarely bring anything other than obvious bug fixes to the party and then they aren't real good at releasing them.  For example the 1.20 firmware bug fix was released in Japan a couple of months ago and was never introduced anywhere else even though the bug exists for all cameras.  If you want the update, you need to get it off a Japanese only Sony site.  Sony is pretty clueless when it comes to after sale product support compared to any other camera manufacturer.  Very innovative products but the second they come to market they pretty much forget about them and move on to the next thing.  I like my a7R a lot and will probably buy an a7R2 but that is with the understanding of expecting nothing whatsoever after the sale.  Also be prepared for virtually any damage being deemed "not repairable" even though it is.  There's an article on that on the LensRentals blog.

Very good point. I would not expect too much after launch. It will be interesting if Sony makes a firmware update for multi shot similar to how the Olympus works. Talk is it could be done since the new sensors have the 5 axis stabilization.

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

MarkL

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 08:57:37 am »

Very aggressive spec list and one I would have expected for the A9. I won't be buying but having this mid-2015 as a D800E owner I can be sure my next camera will not be a DSLR and my slr lens purchases will be modest.

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2015, 09:04:14 am »

We should have one of the first cameras and maybe even a pre-production unit.  We'll keep you posted.  Now things get interesting.
Kevin Raber

Hi Kevin,

When you test this camera could you please shoot action shots of people?  Not asking you to go to the NBA finals.  Just folks walking.  I'm satisfied with my 5D Mark III and have the 5Dsr on pre-order.  However if this new Sony matches the usability for documentary style photography I may get one.

Also interested in the camera's EVF. 

Thank you,
Jeffery
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

rdonson

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:45 am »

Very aggressive spec list and one I would have expected for the A9. I won't be buying but having this mid-2015 as a D800E owner I can be sure my next camera will not be a DSLR and my slr lens purchases will be modest.

But.... if like the D800, Nikon uses this Sony sensor then you've got the best of both worlds with the exception that the DSLR weighs a lot more.
Regards,
Ron

Otto Phocus

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2015, 09:23:30 am »

The Canon 5DS suddenly dropped in stock following this announcement. I am trying hard to justify my pre-order of the Canon now.

I would not worry too much.  I think you will be happy with the 5DS.  That is a nice system.

In the photography world there is an intrinsic problem with photographing vegetation over barriers.  For some reason the hue never comes out accurate.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

AFairley

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 11:43:02 am »

David

After using the Fuji as a "casual" camera for a while, I'm really attracted to the lighter weight and ability to pre-chimp with the OVF the Sony would give me over my D800e (the "serious" camera) while retaining the high pixel count FF aspect of the Nikon.

But I also would like to know if the 11-bit lossy compression actually makes a difference in real-life shooting (I generally shoot in various forms of daylight and never above 800 ISO with the D800e, so that would be my baseline for comparison).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 12:23:18 pm »

Nice to know Kevin. I'm thinking that this could be the camera that gives a bit of rest to my quite old Canon 5D Mark II...
Same here. While I'm not sure I want to buy another camera body or jump ship (due to $$ and all my Canon glass), I hope the review will put this possibility into perspective. Or maybe a 2nd one that addresses the dreaded upgrade/update dilemma for those of us who've been using one of the other 'big two' manufacturers for years.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 01:11:13 pm »

While I'm not sure I want to buy another camera body or jump ship (due to $$ and all my Canon glass), I hope the review will put this possibility into perspective. Or maybe a 2nd one that addresses the dreaded upgrade/update dilemma for those of us who've been using one of the other 'big two' manufacturers for years.

Guys,

It's not an either/or situation. The secret to MILC is that your legacy glass is more than just 'usable' on the new bodies. Canon shooters even have the benefit of the new Metabones AF adapter - though the Sony's MF is so good that you'll soon become addicted to (manual) critical focus.

That is unless you really need AF, but do you ?

Manoli

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 01:14:38 pm »

But I also would like to know if the 11-bit lossy compression actually makes a difference in real-life shooting (I generally shoot in various forms of daylight and never above 800 ISO with the D800e, so that would be my baseline for comparison).

I've never noticed it. From the reports, postings and general chatter I suspect it's only possible (not certain) that you might notice it in astro-photography.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 01:15:18 pm »

That is unless you really need AF, but do you ?
Be nice but not an absolute must. I've was shooting long, long before auto focus. In fact I shot the entire 1984 Olympics for the LAOOC and no such technology existed at the time.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Otto Phocus

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 01:37:54 pm »

I wonder how difficult it would be for Sony to make a grip that not only has another battery, but another card slot for those times when you want dual card slots?

Has anyone ever made a grip with another card slot or data port?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

dwswager

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 02:23:55 pm »

no 50mp though... which leaves Canon users with something to boast about when nothing else to discuss

LOL  42 or 50MP...same damn thing.  Pretty sure, I would discriminate on quality of the output or functionality rather than MP count.

I suspect there will be times when my D810 would be better than this and times when this camera would outperform.   No enough here for me to leave my current gear, but love continued improvement and increased competitive pressures.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up