Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7r II announced...  (Read 45059 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Sony a7r II announced...
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »

LOL  42 or 50MP...same damn thing.
Close enough and I'd settle for even less with more dynamic range or better high ISO captures.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 05:02:10 pm »

Close enough and I'd settle for even less with more dynamic range or better high ISO captures.

I understand that BSI's challenge is DR.  We'll see.

Jack

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2015, 05:06:10 pm »

Backlash within hours of announcement! Good job! ;-)

You have never had a problem with a memory card?

Cheers,
Bernard

ariliquin

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2015, 05:32:22 pm »

This represents a significant step forward in camera technology,  the culmination of many years research and significant investment in a single package.  All innovative ideas seen in one form or another,  reaching maturity in a single package.  BSI, high sensitivity,  Evf,  high resolution, high speed data transfer,  on sensor af technology,  ability to attach all manufacturers lenses with high speed auto focus support etc...  Don't under estimate what a significant camera this is.

Canon will not be able to respond to this overnight,  not without major investment and R&D,  Sony level investment in sensor is very significant.  Most image sensor scientists agree Sony is 3-5 years ahead of canon in sensor technology design.  This gap will be more and more obvious going forward, consider how short a time sony has achieved this strategy. This camera was no accident,  shows considerable forsight and will.  If I had canon pre order I would cancel and attach my L series glass to the a7rii instead.

It's not just the camera,  it's what it represents. 

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 06:19:38 pm »

After using the Fuji as a "casual" camera for a while, I'm really attracted to the lighter weight and ability to pre-chimp with the OVF the Sony would give me over my D800e (the "serious" camera) while retaining the high pixel count FF aspect of the Nikon.

But I also would like to know if the 11-bit lossy compression actually makes a difference in real-life shooting (I generally shoot in various forms of daylight and never above 800 ISO with the D800e, so that would be my baseline for comparison).

I know what you mean. The Fuji is now my "serious" camera.
Jim Kasson has reported on whether you can see Sony raw compression artefacts at http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4876
His conclusion: "I think that the possibility of visible artifacts in a7 and a7R images due to Sony’s raw compression is remote, but not nonexistent. I don’t plan on worrying about it myself. In my mind it’s nowhere near as likely to damage images in an objectionable way as the a7R shutter shock."
He also has an interesting blog (http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4867) speculating on the reason Sony use lossy compression.

Telecaster

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2015, 06:21:54 pm »

This represents a significant step forward in camera technology,  the culmination of many years research and significant investment in a single package.

Hey, I like what Sony is doing overall with the A7x series…but this is too marketeer-speak for my taste. IMO we should find out how the A7rii performs in the real world before annointing it.

-Dave-

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2015, 06:57:22 pm »

Hey, I like what Sony is doing overall with the A7x series…but this is too marketeer-speak for my taste. IMO we should find out how the A7rii performs in the real world before annointing it.

-Dave-

True, but if it is any close to the a7II in terms of performance, then it will be an amazing performer if I believe what my very knowledgeable formerly Canon shooting friend is telling me.

Cheers,
Bernard

wigasper

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2015, 07:43:54 pm »

It's not just the camera,  it's what it represents.  

Seriously? Don't get me wrong it looks like it has some truly excellent capabilities but this isn't the second coming of Jesus here, there are many very basic issues that Sony has overlooked in past versions as well as this one. It isn't the dawn of a new age it's just a camera system that has many flaws but will certainly be able to produce excellent results.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:45:33 pm by wigasper »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:27 am »

Hi,

What caused me not buying the A7r was:

Lack of EFCS
Lack of contrast detecting AF

Sony has fixed those two issues and improved some other aspects. So it may not be the second coming, but it is a real improvement.

Best regards
Erik

True, but if it is any close to the a7II in terms of performance, then it will be an amazing performer if I believe what my very knowledgeable formerly Canon shooting friend is telling me.

Cheers,
Bernard
Erik Kaffehr

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:11 am »

I'm with davidgp and digitaldog....
I held on to my 5D2 with a PhaseOne on the occasional luxury product shoot need...and I watched the D801E and the A7R pass by. 
The tools I have are still superior for the jobs they do.

Does the 50DRS have 11bit lossy? will the A7R2 be lossy in final production? I forget these numbers when I step away and shoot....
These are the 2 and maybe other factors that would finally rest my Phase MF back, because so far pixel count hasn't done it! Maybe its DR, or what ever it is....
Maybe this A7R2 will be it....It looks like, I  can slap what glass I need on .

If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

BrianVS

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 07:16:17 am »

Sony traditionally made Video cameras. Lossy compression is just the way of life for them. They do not come from a still-photography background and would not understand why lossless storage of the image is important to some photographers. What I'll never understand is why Leica has the same problem. DNG-8 destroyed the performance of the M8, and releasing the M246 as a 12-bit camera is an admission that the sensor is just not up to producing an image that is uninterpolated.

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 08:18:19 am »

I haven't looked at the numbers but is 42 mpix chosen to create 8k stills?

shadowblade

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:56 am »

Looks nice, but I'll wait for the A8/A9/whatever they decide to call it, to see what they manage to pull off in terms of resolution (and if the firmware gets adjusted to support lossless RAW, as a Sony response appears to suggest).

Isaac

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 10:38:16 am »

You have never had a problem with a memory card?

I mistakenly formated a memory card. Once ;-)    

[I had not needed to trigger sensor-cleaning, but I was tired-out and decided to trigger sensor-cleaning and somehow selected format instead -- they are not even on the same menu page.]

No I have never had a memory card fail; but my amusement was with the cataclysmic terms in which that possibility was presented, as-if that same single  feature should be the overwhelming consideration for every other potential camera buyer.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:13:37 pm by Isaac »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2015, 11:56:25 am »

Just reading over some things...Since my first digital cam the Olympus C2500L I have had 3 CF card fails. 1 of them years back, and most photos were corrupted. And 2 in the past 3 years. The 2nd time the CF just diffent work off the bat, so no loss there. 3rd time I was running out of room and needed to swap the card from a 1Ds to a 5D, and the entire card was bricked after I started shooting with the 5D. After a format all was good with the card. ALL images were lost! All concert footage for the 20-30min was gone.  I'm not sure how dual would help this situation, but I think it would be great to right jpgs to one and raw to the other. Maybe just for preview with a in camera effect to show(?).

I think Canon's all use 12bit or now 14bit. They are lossless correct? And for the A7R1, were the images lossy11bit? How did that effect the images? How is that portion effecting images? Shooting watches I have to make sure each detail is in the utmost clarity, so I use the MF. I was hoping the A7R2 would be a great update to my less than 40mpix MF. Perhaps not?
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2015, 12:03:44 pm »

I was really interested in this camera as I have 24 f2.8, 35 f2.0, 50 f1.4, and 100 f2.0 non-L primes for my Canon 5d Mk1.

I went to the metabones website, and it seems that none of these lenses will auto focus on their adapter.

Anyone know more about this?

I would really love a 42mp camera that can shoot some movies on occasion with my EF prime lenses.  To buy this camera and a new set of lenses would be very expensive!
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

aaronchan

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2015, 12:11:54 pm »

wondering if they will release the in camera app for multi-shot and create a monstor size file for some application use such as repro or landscape work?

aaron

NancyP

« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2015, 12:12:46 pm »

Look at the links to Jim Kasson's blog a few comments upstream.
I would wait to see what the new sensor characteristics are like, different technology. Probably 11-bit lossy, but we don't know.

In my geekitude, I love the technology of gear. However, when I step outside, I love my manual lenses and Canon 6D. I have been shooting wildflowers recently with 6D and manual focus Voigtlander 125 f/2.5 - partly to learn about them (whole-plant shot showing leaf and flower arrangement) and partly for beauty. I have found that pixel peeping of the closer shots in the 1:2 range yields unseen-at-time-of-shot submillimeter pollinators. These wouldn't be great for art show sales, but for me and my fellow nature geeks, the pollinators are a bonus.

dwswager

« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2015, 12:20:19 pm »

I mistakenly formated a memory card. Once ;-)

No I have never had a memory card fail; but my amusement was with the cataclysmic terms in which that possibility was presented, as-if that same single  feature should be the overwhelming consideration for every other potential camera buyer.

You should format a memory card every time you put it back into the camera.  Do not just delete the images.

There is no question that CF is more durable than SD.  You can bend a pin in a reader with CF if the reader is poorly designed, but the real failure point in CF is the controller chip.

When indicating one has had failures, it is important to at least indicate brand.  If you buy cheap CF cards and they fail that is different than having a quality card fail and non comparable between 2 different cards on quality or different types of cards.  We must compare like to like.

I've been using memory cards and CF in particular for about 20 years.  I have had one card 'fail' and it was more a degradation in speed that would probably have ended in failure so I disposed of the card.  This includes twice sending a card through the washer and dryer with no loss of data.  I must admit to never having a SD card failure, but I have much less history with them.  I only use top of the line at the time of purchase  Lexar or Sandisk cards in my cameras.  That would be the Lexar 1066X Professional and Sandisk Extreme Pro cards at my last purchase.

BrianVS

« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2015, 02:18:38 pm »

I have had a Transcend 8GByte 10x card fail without warning, completely unrecoverable.

I had two Sandisk 8GBytes UHS-1 card fail, the second was a replacement from Sandisk- so no chance it was counterfeit. The latter- I formatted with the utility from SDformatter from the SD organization.

I have a couple of CF cards fail, Sandisk among them, used as boot disks for embedded systems.

I also have some 110MByte PCMCIA cards that are over 20 years old, work fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up