We've been through this already. At least twice. And you have a serious inability to see beyond your own experience, but that's sort of typical with you people. Me? When a whole slew of non-white people tell me that other people are making things hard for them, I tend to not assume they're lying for some nefarious reason.
Anyway, it's not "Blacks can't get IDs," you doofus. It's "Blacks are part of a wider demographic that are both less likely to have certain documentation or aren't as flexible with work schedules, transportation, and so forth, AND happen to vote Democrat, so if we make it harder for people to vote, Democrats will be harmed more than we will. Oh, and yeah, lots of those people are black."
Or just read what Republican campaign strategists like Carter Wrenn say:
Or what Dreed's Dakota senator (R) said above...
Of course, SOMETIMES it IS explicitly because they are targeting Black people. See the state's argument in US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, NCNAACB et al v. McCrory That's not some "woke" columnist - that's the G**D**n STATE OF NC admitting under oath that they shuttered a day of voting because more black people voted that way/day.
So look - if you want to argue that Republican voter suppression laws aren't "racist" but just happen to disproportionally impact not-white people, and that whole "voter fraud" thing is just a lie to give cover to anti-American bullshit, that's cool. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men and all that.
But if you can't even understand the basic issue (And it's not "They said 'the blacks' can't get IDs") despite innumerable Republicans admitting it in public and in court, you're literally either too stupid or too much of a zealot to be having this discussion with me.
You people? Racist much?
Just because someone is promoting mistruths does not mean they are lying, let along for a nefarious reason. They could just be misinformed. There are plenty of conspiracy theories going around that many believe. There are many conspiracy theories whites believe that are untrue, and many blacks believe as well that are untrue. Many of these are parroted to point where people actually believe them and repeat them. For example, many feminist will tell you 20% of college women are sexually assaulted, and believe it to be true. The actual percentage is around 2%. So yes, even though a large group of similar people may tell you something with conviction, it still could be BS! So I tend to not care about what people feel, but the actual facts.
Pew found that in 2008 and 2012 blacks outperformed any other minority nationwide and also whites in many states, some with so called restrictive voter laws, insofar as percentage of the population to vote. I believe this has been the case in GA for the last few election cycles. Given this, I just don't see the evidence supporting the claims that people feel are happening. (In general, I really care about people's feelings when it comes to policy, so if you are going make an appeal to emotion, it will be ignored.)
Are there fluke cases of actual racism. Of course, and they should be dealt with.
That reference you made, was it adjudicated in the courts? It appears to have been given the post. I am betting that it was rejected by the courts. All was made good here.
But by no means do we destroy all trust in our voting system over a couple bad apples. That's like outlawing alcohol because some people cant handle themselves. Did we do that before? I dont think it worked out well if so.
Also, I just can not fathom how any voter ID law would hamper anyone on voting. If they were requiring passports only, I would agree, but we are talking about state issued IDs. These are not hard to get and I have yet to meet any adult without one.
Are Voter ID laws racist?PS
Now, I just want to make my position as clear as possible. I believe you should have an ID to vote, which is what I am really concerned about, and I would prefer voting to only happen on election day in person, unless you a legitimate reason to be absent. I would do away with all early voting everywhere. However, if early voting is mandated, then all days should be open during the same time frames that polling places would be open on election day.