Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 809   Go Down

Author Topic: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa  (Read 474996 times)

dreed

Re: Bear Pit: now the sole domicile of politics at LuLa
« Reply #9720 on: April 07, 2021, 09:21:15 pm »

A lone voice in the wild... Republican Senator McCollister

https://twitter.com/senmccollister/status/1379533910317674499

Voter ID laws were first created to prevent black people from voting. These laws are sadly (and pathetically) still used to disenfranchise voters (who by large majorities happen to vote for Democrats).

James Clark

« Reply #9721 on: April 07, 2021, 09:39:57 pm »

A lone voice in the wild... Republican Senator McCollister

https://twitter.com/senmccollister/status/1379533910317674499

Voter ID laws were first created to prevent black people from voting. These laws are sadly (and pathetically) still used to disenfranchise voters (who by large majorities happen to vote for Democrats).

He must be in on the conspiracy  ;D

dreed

« Reply #9722 on: April 08, 2021, 04:10:47 am »

There's been quite a few comments about Colorado in this conversation about Georgia as if Colorado was justification for Georgia.

From the congressperson representing Colorado's 6th district:

https://twitter.com/repjasoncrow/status/1379519524928692227

Colorado is a vote-by-mail state — we send every registered voter a ballot. We also have same day voter registration.

If you are serious about protecting the integiry of the voting system in the USA, try this for size:

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25120/securing-the-vote-protecting-american-democracy

During the 2016 presidential election, America's election infrastructure was targeted by actors sponsored by the Russian government. Securing the Vote: Protecting American Democracy examines the challenges arising out of the 2016 federal election, assesses current technology and standards for voting, and recommends steps that the federal government, state and local governments, election administrators, and vendors of voting technology should take to improve the security of election infrastructure. In doing so, the report provides a vision of voting that is more secure, accessible, reliable, and verifiable.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9723 on: April 08, 2021, 08:54:35 am »

Not from me, I assure you.  You didn't answer the questions, you simply deflected with your usual bullshit.

Do you really expect us to believe you haven't heard of orngman's telephone call to Georgia? 
Do you really expect us to believe that "there was no insurrection"  We all watched it on TV FFS.

Was anyone charged with insurrection? I haven't checked the latest news on that issue.  But all the charges of a couple of weeks ago revolved around trespass, assault, etc, the usual (criminal) misdemeanors that occur at all these kinds of demonstrations.  Yes, it played out at the capital.  But that doesn't make it an insurrection.  Insurrectionists don't arm themselves with pepper spray and most had none at all.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9724 on: April 08, 2021, 08:58:51 am »

Oy.

Not, "For what reason would Pelosi be trying to interfere in an election," but rather, "What actual action makes you think Pelosi is underhandedly interfering in an election." 
She was planning to try to unseat the Republican who won.  However, the democrat who lost gracefully conceded.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9725 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:54 am »

Someone has to oppose the RepubliQans!

Nice pun.   ;D ;D ;D
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9726 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:22 am »

Was anyone charged with insurrection? I haven't checked the latest news on that issue.  But all the charges of a couple of weeks ago revolved around trespass, assault, etc, the usual (criminal) misdemeanors that occur at all these kinds of demonstrations.  Yes, it played out at the capital.  But that doesn't make it an insurrection.  Insurrectionists don't arm themselves with pepper spray and most had none at all.

Yeah, probably just a tailgate party gone bad. Nothing to see here.

--
Robert

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9727 on: April 08, 2021, 09:09:54 am »

It's hardly a conspiracy theory to suggest that Republicans try to suppress Democratic votes through legislation.  Heck, Republicans have admitted it more than once, in more than one venue.

Please give me an example of someone who wanted to vote in the last, lets say 20 years, that was not able to do so.  You know actual voter suppression.  And I dont mean someone woke up and suddenly thought, I think I will vote in this election, oops, I'm not registered.  Please, I'll wait. 

This idea that voter ID laws are racist is nonsense.  The idea that Blacks, for some reason, have a harder time getting an IDs is absurd.  Likewise, the idea that a functioning adult can get by in today's world without an ID, and therefore not being able to vote, is also absurd. 

Not a day goes by where I am not asked to show my ID for something.  If you can find me an adult, of working age who is not a bumb, who does not have an ID, please let me know.  I have a bunch of interesting questions I would like to ask him/her, such as how do you manage to function in today's society. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:18:57 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9728 on: April 08, 2021, 09:16:26 am »

There's been quite a few comments about Colorado in this conversation about Georgia as if Colorado was justification for Georgia.

From the congressperson representing Colorado's 6th district:

https://twitter.com/repjasoncrow/status/1379519524928692227

Colorado is a vote-by-mail state — we send every registered voter a ballot.
We also have same day voter registration.[/i]

If you are serious about protecting the integiry of the voting system in the USA, try this for size:

https://www.nap.edu/catalog/25120/securing-the-vote-protecting-american-democracy

During the 2016 presidential election, America's election infrastructure was targeted by actors sponsored by the Russian government. Securing the Vote: Protecting American Democracy examines the challenges arising out of the 2016 federal election, assesses current technology and standards for voting, and recommends steps that the federal government, state and local governments, election administrators, and vendors of voting technology should take to improve the security of election infrastructure. In doing so, the report provides a vision of voting that is more secure, accessible, reliable, and verifiable.

New Jersey where I live is full of election crooks.  Even though we're a northern state and we don't know from Jim Crow, our election laws and sentences are severe.
Maybe they're more honest in Colorado.  It's that fresh mountain air.

Here's why vote-by-mail is a problem when ballots are sent willy-nilly to everyone.  If you check the link, you can find all sorts of election crooks here in New Jersey.

Angel Colon pleaded guilty to a charge of second-degree election fraud for fraudulently submitting absentee messenger ballots on behalf of voters who never received the ballots or had an opportunity to cast their votes. He was sentenced to three years in prison.
https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud/search?combine=&state=NJ&year=&case_type=All&fraud_type=All

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9729 on: April 08, 2021, 09:39:43 am »

How is the economy getting better?  There were 744,000 new claims last week or roughly 3 million per month.  Yet they say there were 916,000 new jobs for the whole month. That's almost two million more unemployed than new hires.  So how is it getting better according to the article?  The numbers don't correlate.  What am I missing?

Jobless claims: Another 744,000 Americans filed new claims last week
   -Initial jobless claims, week ended April 3: 744,000 vs. 680,000 expected and a revised 728,000 during the prior week
   -The March jobs report showed a staggering 916,000 payrolls were brought back

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/weekly-jobless-claims-week-ended-april-3-2021-pandemic-175704861-180657616.html

James Clark

« Reply #9730 on: April 08, 2021, 10:28:21 am »

Please give me an example of someone who wanted to vote in the last, lets say 20 years, that was not able to do so.  You know actual voter suppression.  And I dont mean someone woke up and suddenly thought, I think I will vote in this election, oops, I'm not registered.  Please, I'll wait. 

This idea that voter ID laws are racist is nonsense.  The idea that Blacks, for some reason, have a harder time getting an IDs is absurd.  Likewise, the idea that a functioning adult can get by in today's world without an ID, and therefore not being able to vote, is also absurd. 

Not a day goes by where I am not asked to show my ID for something.  If you can find me an adult, of working age who is not a bumb, who does not have an ID, please let me know.  I have a bunch of interesting questions I would like to ask him/her, such as how do you manage to function in today's society.

::)  We've been through this already.  At least twice.  And you have a serious inability to see beyond your own experience, but that's sort of typical with you people.  Me?  When a whole slew of non-white people tell me that other people are making things hard for them, I tend to not assume they're lying for some nefarious reason.

Anyway, it's not "Blacks can't get IDs," you doofus.  It's "Blacks are part of a wider demographic that are both less likely to have certain documentation or aren't as flexible with work schedules, transportation, and so forth, AND happen to vote Democrat, so if we make it harder for people to vote, Democrats will be harmed more than we will.  Oh, and yeah, lots of those people are black."

Or just read what Republican campaign strategists like Carter Wrenn say:

“Look, if African Americans voted overwhelmingly Republican, they would have kept early voting right where it was,” Wrenn said. “It wasn’t about discriminating against African Americans. They just ended up in the middle of it because they vote Democrat.”

Or what Dreed's Dakota senator (R) said above...

Of course, SOMETIMES it IS explicitly because they are targeting Black people. See the state's argument in US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, NCNAACB et al v. McCrory That's not some "woke" columnist - that's the G**D**n STATE OF NC admitting under oath that they shuttered a day of voting because more black people voted that way/day.

So look - if you want to argue that Republican voter suppression laws aren't "racist" but just happen to disproportionally impact not-white people, and that whole "voter fraud" thing is just a lie to give cover to anti-American bullshit, that's cool.  Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men and all that.

But if you can't even understand the basic issue (And it's not "They said 'the blacks' can't get IDs") despite innumerable Republicans admitting it in public and in court, you're literally either too stupid or too much of a zealot to be having this discussion with me.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 10:49:12 am by James Clark »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9731 on: April 08, 2021, 10:41:59 am »

How is the economy getting better?  There were 744,000 new claims last week or roughly 3 million per month.  Yet they say there were 916,000 new jobs for the whole month. That's almost two million more unemployed than new hires.  So how is it getting better according to the article?  The numbers don't correlate.  What am I missing?

AMZN, AAPL and GOOG are on fire this week. Did you miss buying them?

James Clark

« Reply #9732 on: April 08, 2021, 10:49:32 am »

She was planning to try to unseat the Republican who won.  However, the democrat who lost gracefully conceded.

How do you know that?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #9733 on: April 08, 2021, 11:16:04 am »

You want a name? James Baiye II of suburban Atlanta, who has been registered for his whole adult life but did not vote for a few election cycles. He was purged even though he had not moved but simply because he had not voted for a while. When he went to vote in the 2018 election he was turned away. Almost needless to say, he's a black man.

In Georgia alone, the GOP-led initiated a purge of 300,000 people from the voter rolls and later analysis showed that 60% were purged in error, mostly because of an incorrect assumption they have changed their address and/or because they had skipped one too many elections. That's 180,000 suppressed votes. And many of these people didn't discover this until they went to vote and were refused, then it's too late. Needless to say they were predominantly young people and minorities who tend to vote Democratic.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9734 on: April 08, 2021, 11:18:07 am »

::)  We've been through this already.  At least twice.  And you have a serious inability to see beyond your own experience, but that's sort of typical with you people.  Me?  When a whole slew of non-white people tell me that other people are making things hard for them, I tend to not assume they're lying for some nefarious reason.

Anyway, it's not "Blacks can't get IDs," you doofus.  It's "Blacks are part of a wider demographic that are both less likely to have certain documentation or aren't as flexible with work schedules, transportation, and so forth, AND happen to vote Democrat, so if we make it harder for people to vote, Democrats will be harmed more than we will.  Oh, and yeah, lots of those people are black."

Or just read what Republican campaign strategists like Carter Wrenn say:

Or what Dreed's Dakota senator (R) said above...

Of course, SOMETIMES it IS explicitly because they are targeting Black people. See the state's argument in US Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, NCNAACB et al v. McCrory That's not some "woke" columnist - that's the G**D**n STATE OF NC admitting under oath that they shuttered a day of voting because more black people voted that way/day.

So look - if you want to argue that Republican voter suppression laws aren't "racist" but just happen to disproportionally impact not-white people, and that whole "voter fraud" thing is just a lie to give cover to anti-American bullshit, that's cool.  Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men and all that.

But if you can't even understand the basic issue (And it's not "They said 'the blacks' can't get IDs") despite innumerable Republicans admitting it in public and in court, you're literally either too stupid or too much of a zealot to be having this discussion with me.

I'll grant you blacks and others may have difficulty voting with election laws created against fraud.  But there are concerns on the other side, particularly Republican, that there's fraud being committed with the open way we did voting last year. 

I posted quite a number of samples that show how prevalent it is in the past, if mainly for local and state office positions, not presidential.  The whole Georgia issue in my opinion has nothing to do with Georgia, but rather HR1.  It's the Democrat-sponsored bill in congress to eliminate practically all voter ID's and checking.  It will open up elections to huge amounts of gaming.  The Georgia argument is just a tool being used by Democrats to condition the public so that they will support HR1 as being anti-racist when it's all about giving Democrats a free hand to coach voters, harvest ballots, and do other things that currently are illegal. 

Practically all states have election laws to prevent and punish voting fraud.  My Democratic-controlled Yankee, New Jersey, not exactly a Jim Crow state, has these laws as well.  They're very similar to Georgia.  Certainly much sterner than HR1 which would eliminate most if not all fraud protection.

Look, I don't know the exact balance of openness and restraints we should have.  Certainly, we argue can about these things and we do.  But just the fact of having certain checks and balances does not make it racist.  Certainly, they're not considered racist in NJ.

What rules would you keep that could balance out both concerns?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #9735 on: April 08, 2021, 11:22:07 am »

...  But there are concerns on the other side, particularly Republican, that there's fraud being committed with the open way we did voting last year. 

No there isn't, there's just a lot of phoney noise about it.
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9736 on: April 08, 2021, 11:25:25 am »

AMZN, AAPL and GOOG are on fire this week. Did you miss buying them?
The question I asked is how the job market is better when 3 million people lost their jobs in one month against 900K getting jobs in one month?  That's a deficit of over two million.  My question is about that statistic.

faberryman

« Reply #9737 on: April 08, 2021, 11:30:25 am »

The question I asked is how the job market is better when 3 million people lost their jobs in one month against 900K getting jobs in one month?  That's a deficit of over two million.  My question is about that statistic.

Exactly which statistic do you have a question about, and what is your question about it?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9738 on: April 08, 2021, 11:31:49 am »

How do you know that?
What unseating a congressperson when Pelosi tried to unseat the president twice in four years? Especially when she has a razor-thin margin in the House.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9739 on: April 08, 2021, 11:37:22 am »

No there isn't, there's just a lot of phoney noise about it.
It's not noise. I posted at least half a dozen samples including the election a few miles from me in New Jersey that was thrown out last year because 19% of the votes were fraudulent.  Why don't you just regulate your laws in Canada where you live?  We do things our way in the US.
Pages: 1 ... 485 486 [487] 488 489 ... 809   Go Up