Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro 8.2 Released  (Read 23719 times)

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Capture One Pro 8.2 Released
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:47 am »

(Cross Posted on various Forums)

Hey All,

I just wanted to post a quick note about today’s launch of Capture One Pro 8.2.

Normally I don’t make a point of advertising ‘dot’ releases but we have added a very exciting new tool in Capture One.

The Color Balance tool (whilst existing in previous versions of Capture One) has had an extensive upgrade.  With the new 3-Way Color Balance, no knowledge of color blending or third party plug-ins are required to create beautifully color graded images. Color tone changes can be made in the shadows, the highlights or the mid-tones.

Have a look at the attached screen grab (Photo credit www.petewebb.com), to give you an idea.

This is a great way to apply color grading to an image without relying on presets and filters.  Although a similar result can be achieved using levels and curves, it is not as easy to reach the desired tone, plus in the new tool, color is decoupled from lightness and saturation.

There is a tutorial video here…

https://youtu.be/0SXb-Fuwdjs

And stand by for blog posts on the subject at blog.phaseone.com and a great webinar tomorrow with Pratik Naik from Solstice Retouch. 

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rt/5331817020592082433

Pratik will take us through his color workflow and make use of the new tool.

There are more webinars in the future too where you can learn about this tool, and Capture One in general..

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Events/Capture-One-webinars.aspx

8.2 also adds ‘Dynamic Locations’ (new tokens for changing the path of an image file based on items such as color tag, star rating and much more), 5k Previews plus new camera and lens support.

Give it a try out on a free 30 day trial…

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/Materials/Download-Capture-One-8.aspx

Thanks,

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Capture One Pro 8.2 Released
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:23 am »

Does the new Color Balance apply only to the main tab, i.e.  or can it be used in an adjustment layer like the color editor can?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Remko

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 11:53:29 am »

Sounds very promising, David!!
So that's the new function you mentioned when setting the Finetuning Color webinar to a later date.  ;D

A quick question. The recently upgraded MP formaly works with CO up to version 8.1.1. If I want to work with MP and upgrade to CO 8.2, are all the edits made in CO still reflected in MP? Or are edits visible in MP, except the one made with the new Color Balance Tool?
Thanks!

cheers,
Remko

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 12:00:06 pm »

Does the new Color Balance apply only to the main tab, i.e.  or can it be used in an adjustment layer like the color editor can?

Hi Paul,

It is not available as an adjustment layer tool, only as a global adjustment tool.
And it seems to function just fine there.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »

Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul,

As Bart says its not available as a Local adjustment, but it wouldn't really make sense if it was.

David

David Grover

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:40:01 pm »

Thanks, to Bart and David

I guess I don't understand why it doesn't make sense, currently the local adjustment layers do have the color editor and WB available, which I use quite a bit trying to balance out Phase One files from a tech camera. 

Just curious

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:43 pm »

Hi Paul,

Because the tool isn't designed primarily as a corrective aid. It's more for applying a colour look to an image which couldn't easily be done before.

The White balance and colour editor, however, suit very well for local adjustments.

David.
David Grover

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 06:24:21 pm »

Looking forward to seeing  tomorrow's webinar on the new colour balance grading tool uploaded for viewing in a couple of days.
Then I can, hopefully, get a better understanding how it works   :)

I have already worked out how the dynamic export naming tokens work.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 06:42:14 pm »

The idea of this is great, but....
It's more for applying a colour look to an image which couldn't easily be done before.
That's actually a shame in my opinion.
The ability to gently shift the colour balance of shadow areas to remove overly cold colour casts could be hugely useful, and similarly move highlight CB to a more neutral state.
The tool seems at first use to be too coarse in use. Fine if you just want some dreadful 'straw 'n teal' or similar cross processing look, but not refined enough to allow precise control of image colour balance across different tonal zones.

Maybe a different set of defaults would help ? Red to Cyan doesn't seem the most helpful range when shifting colour temperature.

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:49:25 pm »

David..... I have the Capture One for Sony a7r which is a free download.....will these new color grading features be in an upgrade of the Sony version?

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 10:41:40 pm »

Olympus E-M5 Mark II is in the list of supported cameras. However the program is failing to render Raw file of high-resolution mode downloaded from dpreview site.

ario

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:49 am »

Olympus E-M5 Mark II is in the list of supported cameras. However the program is failing to render Raw file of high-resolution mode downloaded from dpreview site.
I have also tried with files from my own E5M2 but CO fails to create the proxi during import.

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 02:33:21 am »

you need to actually read the release notes

http://www.phaseone.com/Apsis/Capture-One-8-2-Release-Notes.pdf

buried from hoi polloi is the line = "Olympus OM-D E-­M5 II “High Resolution” mode is not supported"

• Capture One
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 05:39:06 am »

The Olympus HR format is a proprietary one which we don't have any information about.

Any support you see is reverse engineered so sub optimal.

If Olympus wants to release details of it, it would be far simpler to support.

David.
David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:27 am »

Any support you see is reverse engineered so sub optimal.

;D ... it is not even funny

does Canon give you spectral properties of their CFA or you build your camera profiles in the lab based on the data received from tests with monochromators and possibly some targets ? so how do you call your camera (non P1 backs) profiles... "reverse engineered so sub optimal" ? so against what "any support" we "see" is exactly sub optimal ? against Olympus 40mp camjpeg ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:20:14 am by AlterEgo »

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 04:07:28 pm »

;D ... it is not even funny

does Canon give you spectral properties of their CFA or you build your camera profiles in the lab based on the data received from tests with monochromators and possibly some targets ? so how do you call your camera (non P1 backs) profiles... "reverse engineered so sub optimal" ? so against what "any support" we "see" is exactly sub optimal ? against Olympus 40mp camjpeg ?

I don't believe I was being funny.

Simply trying to explain that the HR file format is not a standard Bayer Mosaic'd file. Therefore proprietary. 

This has nothing to do with color filter arrays or profiling.
David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 05:21:46 pm »

I don't believe I was being funny.

Simply trying to explain that the HR file format is not a standard Bayer Mosaic'd file. Therefore proprietary.  

no, you imply that HR format is something so arcane that you can't properly support it... but it seems it is not based on what other available (by this moment) software does... now it is totally OK to say: dear users, we need more time to work it out...

This has nothing to do with color filter arrays or profiling.

it has - because you also reverse engineer there to build your camera profiles that I bet you call better (colorwise along with your code) than other products have, don't you ? and that includes I guess OEM software, is it not ? so where is the logic then

gazwas

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:08:51 pm »

8.2 also adds ‘Dynamic Locations’ (new tokens for changing the path of an image file based on items such as color tag, star rating and much more), 5k Previews plus new camera and lens support.

Hi David, could you explain this in more detail?

The colour grading tool works great but lacks one important option..... a reset button. Currently resetting effects S, M and H but it would be good if you could reset each one individually.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:10 am »

The colour grading tool works great but lacks one important option..... a reset button. Currently resetting effects S, M and H but it would be good if you could reset each one individually.

Hi,

There is an overall reset button, and double clicking the mouse on the circle has the same effect. Double clicking on the arcs also resets that arc. If you double click on a marker, then a single click sets it again, allowing to toggle it off and on again.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

gazwas

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 04:59:06 am »

Perfect, thank you. Thant was just what I was looking for.  :)
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up