Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Kevin Raber's "Time for a Change"  (Read 47489 times)

mbaginy

Re: Kevin Raber's "Time for a Change"
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2015, 12:50:33 am »

Images look better with dark backgrounds.
+1
And I prefer reading white print on a dark grey background.  Can't understand why some folks find that so horrible.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:27 am »

Images look better with dark backgrounds.

Indeed! Much sexier. It makes them look also slimmer.

Photographing On Dark Background
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:00:14 am by LesPalenik »

mbaginy

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2015, 04:04:06 am »

BJL

Regarding 'woman photographer' or 'female photographer' ...
There are no adjectives here. Each phrase is a compound noun.
While we are way off topic: no, the compound noun "woman photographer" would traditionally mean one who photographs women, as with "landscape photographer" and such.  Try replacing "woman" by "man" to see how unorthodox this usage is -- but nevertheless it has become somewhat common to use "woman" as an adjective, notwithstanding the failure of many dictionaries to report this newfangled usage.

Back on topic:  I too prefer viewing images with a mid-gray to black background, but am resigned to the overall preference for black text on white. Maybe photographs on the site should be surrounded with nice big black borders?

P. S. Should I complain about using apostrophes ['] where quotes ["] are called for, as if to avoid reaching for the shift key?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:39:36 pm by BJL »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:28 am »

I too prefer viewing images with a mid-gray to black background, but am resigned to the overall preference for black text on white. Maybe photographs on the site should be surrounded with nice big black borders?

+1

Thierry

stamper

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2015, 12:25:31 pm »

Unfortunately Kevin or Michael can't cater for every taste so it is pointless expressing your preferences. What pleases somebody pisses off someone else. Accept what they implement or go somewhere else?  ::)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2015, 12:32:37 pm »

Unfortunately Kevin or Michael can't cater for every taste so it is pointless expressing your preferences. What pleases somebody pisses off someone else. Accept what they implement or go somewhere else?  ::)

Pointless!? Apparently it wasn't pointless for the black-on-white terrorists, as their incessant attacks managed to persuade LuLa to abandon its beautiful, eye-friendly, light gray-on-dark gray approach.

stamper

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »

An attempt at humour? If so you have lost me. :(

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »

An attempt at humour? If so you have lost me. :(

No, I am dead serious.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I would agree on that.

Best regards
Erik

Back on topic:  I too prefer viewing images with a mid-gray to black background, but am resigned to the overall preference for black text on white. Maybe photographs on the site should be surrounded with nice big black borders?

Erik Kaffehr

Farmer

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »

Expressing opinions and wishes to a service provider is always a good idea.  Expecting them to implement them all is sure to disappoint.
Phil Brown

stamper

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2015, 03:43:57 am »

Expressing opinions and wishes to a service provider is always a good idea.  Expecting them to implement them all is sure to disappoint.

No point in doing it if they are going to disappoint you? If this was a subscription site then there might be a point in making suggestions. One or two might be heeded if the owners thought they were going to lose subscribers/money? However being a free site then they can do what they please and the members will have to accept it or move on. If the owners do take on board some of the suggestions they may well never admit they did and some of the suggestions may coincide with their thinking? Personally I like what I see - it is free - and let them get on with it. :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:55 am »

If this was a subscription site then there might be a point in making suggestions. One or two might be heeded if the owners thought they were going to lose subscribers/money? However being a free site then they can do what they please and the members will have to accept it or move on. If the owners do take on board some of the suggestions they may well never admit they did and some of the suggestions may coincide with their thinking? Personally I like what I see - it is free - and let them get on with it. :)
+1, beautifully stated. We should all be grateful for the site we have and the site we'll get. Spell grey/gray and color any way you like Michael and Kevin.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Farmer

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2015, 05:10:22 pm »

Errr, that was exactly my point.  If you expected them to implement them you'd be disappointed...but there's always value in providing feedback, free or not.
Phil Brown

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2015, 10:16:16 pm »

Thanks, but I'd rather leave the moderation of this site to the moderators rather than self appointed vigilantes. I'd also leave the policing of my street to the police.
Really!?! You would leave someone to be beaten to a pulp and do nothing when you could be of help. The quote....'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.'...springs to mind here.
Simply stopping someone you happen by from getting harmed further and then taking them to A+E to get is not being a vigilante, neither is disagreeing with some bullying nonsense online. I've also stopped to help a 'drunk' on the street who was actually someone going into a diabetic coma. Maybe I should have left him there to die too.  ::)
As for site moderation, it barely happens here as people manage to carry on making abusive posts over long periods of time.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2015, 10:21:31 pm »

No point in doing it if they are going to disappoint you? If this was a subscription site then there might be a point in making suggestions. One or two might be heeded if the owners thought they were going to lose subscribers/money? However being a free site then they can do what they please and the members will have to accept it or move on. If the owners do take on board some of the suggestions they may well never admit they did and some of the suggestions may coincide with their thinking? Personally I like what I see - it is free - and let them get on with it. :)
No business service is free. Subscription is simply one way of many for monetising a website, adverts, courses, trips, sponsors etc are other ways. All require customers to work however.

jjj

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2015, 10:25:04 pm »

Pointless!? Apparently it wasn't pointless for the black-on-white terrorists, as their incessant attacks managed to persuade LuLa to abandon its beautiful, eye-friendly, light gray-on-dark gray approach.
Now it's established you are serious....Eye friendly!!  ???  Reverse text is not used by most sites because it is so dreadful to read.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2015, 10:09:34 am »

Now it's established you are serious....Eye friendly!!  ???  Reverse text is not used by most sites because it is so dreadful to read.

Although strangely I find it okay on LL.  It does give the site a distinctive feel too.  I would not enjoy reading everything on the web reversed though.

Jim

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2015, 09:37:11 pm »

...Reverse text is not used by most sites because it is so dreadful to read.

Apparently, CNN missed your memo  ;)

Farmer

« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2015, 10:42:38 pm »

One does not equal most  ;)
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up