Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless  (Read 35617 times)

dwswager

Re: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2015, 04:43:24 pm »

I hope you're right, Herb.

Price listed is $100 less than quoted price from the Israeli dealer.  Might be differences in currency exchange...  Specs for the GH Pro are also slightly different than quoted specs elsewhere, but same photos.

ken

If Sunwayfoto gave you this link, then I think you can have reasonbale confidence in it.  In fact, the seller is actually listed as:
Sunwayfoto & Sunwayman Authorized Shop
China (Mainland)

However, be advised that AliExpress.com is not a single vender.  They are kinda like an Ebay or Amazon Marketplace type setup.  Some vendors good and some not so reputable. 

Herbc

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2015, 07:27:03 pm »

Sounds like they are the famous AliBaba.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:08 am »

Here is one from the Israeli Sunwayfoto dealer on ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunwayfoto-GH-Pro-Geared-Head-Arca-Swiss-D4-compatible/141566177790?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D28772%26meid%3Df307e9f0ef8746ec90e2a75a1b206ae0%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D111591240487

Just listed. They told me they would email me when in stock, but I was impatient and ordered through the China distributor. Mine is on the way---fingers-crossed that it makes it  :) and is also a good light-weight geared head alternative.

ken

Herbc

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:30 am »

Interesting- I don't have the one I ordered from Ali yet, should be here next week- I paid $399, not what the ebayer is asking.

Ken Doo

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 11:35:41 am »

Me too, Herb.  I think currency exchange may be the difference.  I'm hoping mine comes in shortly....

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2015, 12:03:11 pm »

Ebay = USD 499 Free Shipping, AliExpress  = USD 399 Free Shipping, That's not 'currency exchange'   ;)

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2015, 12:09:19 pm »

Please keep us updated. Been looking for that head for a while. Hard to find any info.

dwswager

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2015, 01:23:27 pm »

Please keep us updated. Been looking for that head for a while. Hard to find any info.

OEC Camera is the US Distributor for SunwayFoto and they have a large Ebay store!  That would be a direct sale.  The listing in this thread is probably a 3rd party.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »

The title of the subject line tells all:  I had an Arca Swiss C-1 head, loved the movements, hated the weight.
Vast overkill for my Sony A7x cameras.  I was looking at Bogen and small heads, but have not had good experience with
that brand.  Ideas much appreciated

Having used both the Induro head mentioned here and owning the Arca-Swiss D4m, (this is the non geared version of the D4) my recommendation is the D4 or the D4M: much smoother action. Small cameras will benefit from the extra smoothness even more that larger D-SLRS do

Ken Doo

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2015, 10:06:33 am »

OEC Camera is the US Distributor for SunwayFoto and they have a large Ebay store!  That would be a direct sale.  The listing in this thread is probably a 3rd party.

Maybe it was just my singular experience (I hope so) but the US distributor for Sunwayfoto was a total waste of my time, was not helpful, with responses that made it clear that they were not interested in spending time to help me. I won't be shopping there at all for anything.
The link I provided above is to the Israeli distributor of Sunwayfoto products.  They were very responsive to my questions. Israelis +1.  US -1.  Chinese Distributor? Seems responsive and had the GH Pro in stock ready to ship. +1  :)

ken

p.s.  By "currency exchange" I mean the value of the US dollar in relation to currency of the vendor. It could be simply free market competition. But it doesn't matter when the bottom line is it's still less expensive.  ;)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2015, 02:50:42 pm »

Out of curiosity, why do you want a geared head?

Ken Doo

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2015, 04:41:28 pm »

I can't speak for others, but a geared head gives me both precision and ease to make adjustments quickly on the Phase DF and Cambo WRS.  Can you use any ball head or leveling base to do the exact same thing?  Of course. It's a matter of preference. But for my purposes and from my own personal experience, trying to level a camera in the freezing cold using a mere mortal ball head is difficult for me to do when I am shivering, and trying my best to make adjustments with a steady hand.  The Arca Swiss Cube is stupid expensive yes, but one of the best investments that I have made for my bevy of tripods.  Leveling and making adjustments is child's play even in the coldest of climes.  I've seen the AS D4 and had high hopes but it isn't much smaller in stature or weight than the Cube. I was disappointed.  I'm looking for a smaller lighter geared solution for a lighter tripod combination and the Sunwayfoto GH Pro seems to be the only game in town.  Fingers-crossed. And yes, I'm holding onto the AS Cube too.   :)

ken

hiepphotog

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2015, 11:29:02 pm »

I am eagerly waiting for reviews from you guys. I found out about this head today on the Israel store (they do have really cheap offer on the Otii). Anyway, glad that I came across this post. I have the Multiflex myself and it has been a joy for leveling my landscape set-up. It is actually indispensable for a multi-row panoramic head because you definitely want both axes to be leveled. However, from time to time, I missed that quick adjustment of a ball head or going wild with framing on a tripod :D. I was thinking of getting the D4 for the duo-geared-ball action. Found this Sunwayfoto and hope it would be a smooth and durable head. I built my multi-row panoramic head from Sunwayfoto parts and quite happy with the quality.

It's interesting to point out that the KPS geared ballhead came about a year before the Arca D4, I wonder if it actually has a smoother ball rotation action. The D4 is not that smooth.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2015, 04:37:17 am »

Hi,

Here are a few of my reasons:

• Precision: when changing composition there is always a flex and composition will change. With gears there is no hand on camera, so there will be no change of composition when lift hand from camera.
  • Reduced load on wrists. I have issues with moving the camera precisely, so I tend to have pain the wrists after some shooting. No issue with the geared head.

I have the Arca Swiss D4 and I love it. One thing I miss is gears on horisontal movement.

The way I feel, gears on the head was one of those factors making life really easier. But your mileage may vary.

Best regards
Erik

I can't speak for others, but a geared head gives me both precision and ease to make adjustments quickly on the Phase DF and Cambo WRS.  Can you use any ball head or leveling base to do the exact same thing?  Of course. It's a matter of preference. But for my purposes and from my own personal experience, trying to level a camera in the freezing cold using a mere mortal ball head is difficult for me to do when I am shivering, and trying my best to make adjustments with a steady hand.  The Arca Swiss Cube is stupid expensive yes, but one of the best investments that I have made for my bevy of tripods.  Leveling and making adjustments is child's play even in the coldest of climes.  I've seen the AS D4 and had high hopes but it isn't much smaller in stature or weight than the Cube. I was disappointed.  I'm looking for a smaller lighter geared solution for a lighter tripod combination and the Sunwayfoto GH Pro seems to be the only game in town.  Fingers-crossed. And yes, I'm holding onto the AS Cube too.   :)

ken
Erik Kaffehr

dwswager

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2015, 11:43:39 am »

Geared heads are about precision, control and deliberateness.  They are especially nice at high magnifications.

Ball heads are about speed and simplicity.  They work best for situations where precision isn't as critical.

I have to say since I switched to a panning clamp and my cameras incorporated the virtual horizon capability in the viewfinder and live view, I miss geared heads and leveling bases much less.

hiepphotog

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »

Just a quick heads up, John at OECcamera (US Sunwayfoto distributor) told me that they are waiting for the finalization of the the improved version before importing the GH-Pro.

Ken Doo

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2015, 03:12:42 pm »

Any mention of what "improvements" were to be made to the GH Pro?

ken

hiepphotog

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2015, 04:05:05 pm »

Any mention of what "improvements" were to be made to the GH Pro?

ken

Straight from the horse's mouth:
"Here were the problems with the  latest sample we received. We work very hard to improve the Sunway products and often return an entire batch when there are issues.
When we receive a properly functioning sample from them we will begin selling it. This has been a 2 year (and counting) process.

1. The inability to tilt the head laterally with the top lock knob loose. Two screws have to be loosened slightly so the top platform can tilt by hand. However, after loosening them a drop of blue Loctite needs to be applied on each one, in order to avoid more loosening later on.
2. After the head is mounted on a tripod and loaded with somehow heavy gear, the head top part wobbles slightly up-down no matter how much you tighten the knobs.

Regards, John."

I'm impressed with his quick response. I did ask about the possible asking price but he didn't give me an answer. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ken Doo

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2015, 07:27:43 pm »

My Sunwayfoto GH Pro arrived today from my cousins in China.  ;)

It was well-packaged and received in excellent condition. No Coach leather purse/case, but cardboard box with foam will do just fine.  No instructions included but it did have a hex wrench included and a torx wrench---which I can't see where that is needed. And a nice small microfiber cloth.  The head is smaller in profile than the AS Cube and lighter as well.  It is perfect on the RRS TVC-24 tripod legs, whereas the AS Cube was just ever so slightly too heavy for those legs. The AS Cube is perfect on the RRS TVC-33 tripod legs.  Big plus on profile and relatively light weight of the GH Pro.  Knurled knobs are good and easy to adjust but not with the same silky smoothness of the AS Cube. Don Libby and I will be scouting out Lake Tahoe next week, so I'll have the GH Pro on hand to test in the field.

My initial impressions are favorable though not to the extent of being totally impressed. From the short time that I've tinkered with the GH Pro, my impression is that it is a "good" head but not in the same class as the AS Cube which costs about four times as much. Is the US$399 investment for the GH Pro worth it?  Yes, I think so. It's a good tripod head, though probably not quite at the level of much more expensive heads---and that should be expected. Someone mentioned Sunwayfoto as being 90% up to RRS. I don't know about that. How about 85%  ;)  I think it just goes to how show how good the products from AS and RRS are though, rather than how deficient products are from other manufacturers.

I don't think there is a similar product at this size, profile, or weight.  I would love to see what the folks over at RRS could do if they offered a similarly featured geared tripod head.  Until then, I'm happy with the rather nominal investment in the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro.  To be honest, I probably really really don't need this tripod head. I may consider selling the GH Pro later and simply staying with the Cube.

:) ken
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 10:59:37 am by kdphotography »

provatebydesign

« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »

Ken,

I am very interested to hear your thoughts. How do the two issues that the USA importers reported actually impact the head you got, ie does the head 'lift' with a reasonable DSLR setup, and can you tilt the head laterally with the top lock knob loose?

I like the idea of a D4, but really don't like the weight (or price) as it is only for DSLR use with the T/S lenses.

Many thanks for your thoughts.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up