Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless  (Read 35615 times)

Herbc

Re: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 09:01:07 pm »

I like the look of the Legio Artherium (?), although they don't have a track record.  The Sunway looks like a real AS knockoff.

many thanks for all the replies.  you gotta love this forum.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:00 am »

I'm interested in the Sunwayfoto GH Pro geared head as well.  It is closely related to the Arca Swiss D4, but what makes it stand out is that it is lighter than the D4.  Lighter weight is the kicker for me---better choice for hiking/travel.  670 grams with a 26 lb load capacity.  That's a lot lighter than my AS Cube. 

Bad news is Sunwayfoto dealer/distributors are completely oblivious to the existence of the GH Pro. Not helpful at all.  That's the frustrating part.

I've had contact with the dealer in Israel who says they will contact me when they get one in stock.  So I wait.

ken

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 04:46:58 am »

I'm interested in the Sunwayfoto GH Pro geared head as well.  It is closely related to the Arca Swiss D4, but what makes it stand out is that it is lighter than the D4.  Lighter weight is the kicker for me---better choice for hiking/travel.  670 grams with a 26 lb load capacity.  That's a lot lighter than my AS Cube. 

Bad news is Sunwayfoto dealer/distributors are completely oblivious to the existence of the GH Pro. Not helpful at all.  That's the frustrating part.

Hi Ken,

It's not surprising though, since it isn't even mentioned on the Sunwayfoto.com website ...

Maybe it's no longer being made?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 05:50:56 am »

I've had contact with the dealer in Israel who says they will contact me when they get one in stock.  So I wait.

ken

Hello Ken, which dealer in Israel did you contact?

RomanN.

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 04:16:13 pm »

this KPS T5  head seems to be a very interesting item, but not cheap.
I used till now Monfrotto 410 and it is a very good head and very cheap. When you get a good copy you can not make anything wrong with it.
I ordered now Arca D4 and should come this week. I get D4 because I need a very small set up for traveling, walking or on bike.
Manfrotto is a little bit heavy and bulky for this. When you mostly transport your equpment by car this would be no big problem.
I think Arca D4 is a product without a really competition. I light head for all camerasystems from mirrorless to heavy 8x10 inch.

dwswager

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:48 pm »

ken

I've bought Sunwayfoto stuff from OEC Camera (Ebay store) and been very satisfied with price and service.  They are supposedly based in the U.S.  You might contact them.

From the Sunwayfoto.com web site.  It's possible Arca Swiss pressured them into not releasing it.  I know they were pissed when the copy of the Photoclam Multiflex C1 Cube appeared on the market.

Herbc

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:42 pm »

Looks like Sunway has offered it in the past, but their online catalog does not show it.

go figure.

CptZar

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 01:24:33 am »

I've bought Sunwayfoto stuff from OEC Camera (Ebay store) and been very satisfied with price and service.  They are supposedly based in the U.S.  You might contact them.

From the Sunwayfoto.com web site.  It's possible Arca Swiss pressured them into not releasing it.  I know they were pissed when the copy of the Photoclam Multiflex C1 Cube appeared on the market.

I would be pissed too, if it took me a fortune to invent something and then a Shenzhen based Company would just copy my product 1:1.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:00:02 am by CptZar »

dwswager

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:35 am »

It's not surprising though, since it isn't even mentioned on the Sunwayfoto.com website ...

Maybe it's no longer being made?
The GH Pro does exist and can be purchased. Just for fun, I contacted Sunwayfoto sales (america@sunwayfoto.com) and received an email reply back in less than 24 hours.  I asked "Where can one purchase the GH Pro?  Is it available in the U.S?"

Hi David,

Our US dealer has not yet imported, but you may check with them first.

OEC Camera at
oeccam1@gmail.com

Do you mind purchasing from other country or China directly? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Sunwayfoto

Ken Doo

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 10:13:37 am »

IMHO, there is a difference between what Photoclam did with the Multiflex and the Sunwayfoto GH Pro head vis a vis the AS D4.

AFAIK, the Multiflex is an almost exact replica of the AS Cube.  You'd be hard pressed to find any substantial difference other than the accent of customer service. I bought and enjoy the Cube.

I wanted to buy the D4, as I wanted a lighter geared hiking solution with a slimmer profile. If you compare the D4 and the Cube, the weight difference is really minor.  Not a solution for me, since I already have the Cube.

If you look at the specs of the Sunwayfoto GH Pro geared head, it is much lighter than the Cube.  At 670g it's lighter than the D4. It is smaller too.  This is not a 1:1 knock-off.  If (that's a big if) the GH Pro is a solid and smooth performer, I don't see another option in its weight class for a geared head.  It is enough of a weight difference to the Cube for me to consider it.

Our "US Sunwayfoto distributor" was oblivious----and was not helpful to me in their replies.

There may be a high quality American answer on the horizon but its not here yet.  ;)

ken
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:55:29 am by kdphotography »

CptZar

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:09 pm »

If this is not product piracy, then I don't what is. Ordering form China, LoL.

Hi David,

Our US dealer has not yet imported, but you may check with them first.

OEC Camera at
oeccam1@gmail.com

Do you mind purchasing from other country or China directly? Thanks.

Best Regards,
Sunwayfoto
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:04:45 am by CptZar »

dwswager

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »

If this not product piracy, then I don't what is. Ordering form China, LoL.

Of course, every ballhead is a knockoff of the 1st ballhead.  And, there is a difference between analyzing a product to figure out how it works and reverse engineering the exact specifications and mechanisms of a product.

If you look at the C1 Cube, you can start with a fresh peice of paper and design something that does the same thing.  It might look cosmetically different and use different materials, but fundamentally, it will have the same method of operation.  In fact, the function is specified by the physics.  What made the Cube unique was someone decided to make it, not how it actually functions.

I've been buying from RRS since the time you had to call Brian and Kathy on the phone.  I recently purchased a tripod, panning clamp and D810 L-plate from them.  I also purchased a Sunwayfoto monopod head.  My comment on Sunwayfoto stuff is it 90% of the quality at 50% of the price.  I have no problem with lower priced alternatives where you might trade quality for price.  Generally, their products are similar to others on the market, but not direct copies. Neither their D810 L-Bracket or their Discal panning clamps are copies of RRS stuff. I have not seen either the D4 or the GH Pro to say, they just copied the actual design.  I do believe they probably got the idea to make the GH Pro from seeing a D4 and probably stipped a D4 Down.  But that is pretty standard practice in any product area.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:33:46 pm by dwswager »

CptZar

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 02:27:42 am »

Sorry, but if look at the images, I see the same ballhead, not some kind of evolutionary new design. If you see it different,  fine for me.

Cheers

Jan

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 04:43:57 am »

Knock-off or not, evolutionary design or not, frankly I don't care and totally agree with the "90% of the quality for 50
% of the price" statement. Besides that I lack the "Really Right Income"  :D

It looks like a great product to me and I'd really want one as a lighter alternative to the 45% heavier Manfrotto 410 Junior.

Yet...they seem not available for sale anywhere I look, almost similar to that very handy L bracket for the Sigma DP Merrills I only found secondhand on the dutch alternative to Craig's list.

So if anyone would know or find out where to get baby, I'm all ears  ;D

Best Regards, Sander

dwswager

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:06 am »

So if anyone would know or find out where to get baby, I'm all ears  ;D

Best Regards, Sander

Um, Sander, have you tried emailing Sunwayfoto?  Even if you are outside the U.S., contact the US Division (america@sunwayfoto.com) as they have been extremely responsive.  They will try to hook you up, even if the product has to ship to your location directly from China!

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 10:33:39 am »

Um, Sander, have you tried emailing Sunwayfoto?  Even if you are outside the U.S., contact the US Division (america@sunwayfoto.com) as they have been extremely responsive.  They will try to hook you up, even if the product has to ship to your location directly from China!

I see, hadn't done that yet, must have misread as from earlier in this topic I thought they were not able to supply, but if they are and if shipment from CN to the Netherlands can be done at reasonable cost and will not lead to big import taxes it may well be the way to go.

Thanks David, I'll give it a go tonight,

Best Regards Sander

Herbc

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:56 am »

Ok, I emailed them and they provided this link:http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-SUNWAYFOTO-GH-PRO-geared-head-made-for-Gitozo-Manfrotto-benno-tripod/32279007596.html

I then ordered the Sunway head, $399 including shipping, so we shall see what is what.  They operate thru this Aliexpress
outfit, which seems reliable.  I have done a lot of business in Asia, and if you use your credit card, you are good to go.  My card company blocked the sale and I had to tell them it was ok. 

Should get it inside of two weeks.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 11:03:11 am »

Thanks for that link Herb! I may well order one too, still wondering if to go for the free shipping which has a whopping 15-39 days deliverytime to the Netherlands.

Then again, before I stumbled upon this tread I hadn't heard of this product anyway, good things come to those who wait they say (and the chances it'll "slip through" customs are much much higher compared to UPS or FedEx shipment.

Best Regards, Sander

Ken Doo

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:25 am »

I hope you're right, Herb.

Price listed is $100 less than quoted price from the Israeli dealer.  Might be differences in currency exchange...  Specs for the GH Pro are also slightly different than quoted specs elsewhere, but same photos.

ken

Herbc

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 02:59:52 pm »

they have a no questions asked return policy, with a pretty professional web site, so we will see.  I will post when I get it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up