Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless  (Read 35618 times)

hiepphotog

Re: looking for small geared head for tripod for mirrorless
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2015, 09:24:26 pm »

...So about the mysterious 'lifting' issue. Well this is a geared head and if you grab hold of the camera and wiggle it you will get the intrinsic give as the worm gear and main gear move from one side of their thread groove to the other, does it look bad?

Isn't it the undesirable backlash? Certainly I don't get that from my Multiflex.

provatebydesign

« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:48 pm »

Yes, it is backlash, I was initially referring to the USA importers comments on quality control issues which mentioned 'lifting'. The GH-Pro, well mine at least, suffers no lifting, though I did find the "two small screws" that any lifting can be adjusted with.

The backlash could be considered an issue, and if I had paid $1,400-$2,000 I would demand none, but this isn't a $1,000+ head and despite the backlash the head holds firm and I have seen no image degradation due to lack of support despite the fact that I am probably using larger than optimal gear setups on it.

I do feel a relatively simple redesign by Sunwayfoto would make the head considerably 'better', as I said the transverse movement lock shaft needs to be a through shaft ,and the actual neck of the head going up to the quick release plate should be built thicker. But even with those comments made, I still think the head is a good option compared to other smaller geared heads and well worth considering by those people looking for something like it, I am happy with mine at this point.

I can well understand this head not suiting many who are used to the Arca Swiss level of quality, and their $1,400 clones, it is a different tool. At $399 I think it is worth a look for people interested, if Sunwayfoto came out with a MkII with my suggestions I'd wholeheartedly recommend it even at $499 and I would upgrade.

WkDave

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2015, 01:11:04 pm »

Again, thank you for the responses. I'd say for me 99% of the time I'd be using with a gripped Canon 5d3 and t/s lens or 16-35 2.8 ii possibly with a 600 mounted atop it all - which should put it in the 5-6lb range. Only on a rare occasion - I think 1 or 2 have I used a 70-200 on the tripod and that was for an extended portrait session with multiple subjects passing through. So it sounds like it should fit the bill nicely for my purposes - again with the knowledge that it's not a $1200 head, but then again, neither is my 410.

As far as the backlash, is it worse than a Bogen 410? Thanks

provatebydesign

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2015, 01:26:01 pm »

Hi Dave,

Yes I would say the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro has more backlash than the Manfrotto/Bogen 410, it also doesn't have the geared pan that the 410 has. I think Sunwayfoto pack the GH-Pro with a huge amount of grease to make it appear smoother geared than it is! The GH-Pro does feel much more compact than the 410 though and it doesn't have that annoying worm gear alignment notch thing going on that the 410 does when you use the quick set dials.

As for the GH-Pro, I can see many people not liking it and it is definitely in need of a bit of a redesign, something I suspect the USA importers know, but I am still happy with mine and have no intention of selling it. Those that do like it I suspect will be the pragmatic few who appreciate the functionality and size/weight along with the price.

WkDave

« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2015, 12:02:50 pm »

Thanks Provate, that's just the type of feedback I was looking for.

NancyP

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2015, 01:32:08 pm »

Manfrotto has come out with a geared head slightly smaller and lighter than the 410. Of course it uses the annoying Manfrotto plates. I don't know if it will be possible to modify it to use Arca QR system. Some of the body of the new head is made of plastic. With the 410, I bought an adapter, unscrewed the top of the head, took that baseplate off, added the new baseplate with Arca-style clamp.

hiepphotog

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2015, 12:39:20 pm »

In light of the backlash issue (heck my vintage $50 Geared Duotar has backlash that's why I'm going for a more substantial geared head), I'm thinking of trying out the KPS T5DV head (the lever version). I'm contacting KPS US distributor since they are offering a trial period of sort. This seems to be a good compromise between the GH-Pro and the D4 (half way between the two in term of weight and price).

I love my Multiflex (like the Cube, it's certainly the best geared head for photographic use), but thinking of adding a ballhead for other non-critical stuff and travel. A hybrid might be the answer.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2015, 12:54:38 am »

I will be writing a review on the KPS T5DV geared ball head shortly---probably after the Capture Integration in Lake Tahoe workshop next month in April.

ken

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2015, 01:33:39 am »

Hi,

That product looks interesting, ball head with geared movements. Here is a link to the product page:

I have the Arca 4D, and I am very satisfied with. Most geared heads I have seen are not geared for pan, and I am sometimes missing geared pan.

Best regards
Erik

I will be writing a review on the KPS T5DV geared ball head shortly---probably after the Capture Integration in Lake Tahoe workshop next month in April.

ken
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:36:05 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jaime

• http://www.jaimebrotons.com
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2015, 12:35:35 pm »

My GH-Pro arrived yesterday, i have the same backlash so i´m going to return it to the store, i like a lot this head, but the backlash is too much for my way of making pictures, i found it very cheap, just 270€ in Spain

shadowblade

« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2015, 12:43:36 pm »

I use the Arca-Swiss C1 Cube.

Sure, it's big and heavy. But it's rock-solid and very finely adjustable.

I didn't buy the A7r for size - often, the lens that I'm using with it weighs four times as much as the camera itself. I bought it for its image quality, to use it as a digital back with my collection of Canon-mount lenses. The fact that its small doesn't hurt, though, especially when I'm on a combined wildlife and landscape trip and, therefore, also need to bring a pair of Canon bodies with proper AF systems too.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up