Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover Defender 110  (Read 36123 times)

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: Land Rover Defender 110
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 02:49:18 am »

If you prefer more rubber, there's always the 1976 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 406 Doppelkabine 4x4:

Awesome things - I want one, though I don't think it would fit in the garage....

Petrus

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 03:11:36 am »

Just remembered one expedition with a slight connection to this thread. Two 6x6 Ural trucks, 6 weeks on the Taklamakan desert and Tibetan plateau. We drove from Bishkek over the Torugart pass to Kashgar, then via Hotan and Queimo to Kun Lun mountains and Ulugh Muztahg. And back. Were stuck for 9 days in the quicksands at one point at 4300m altitude, with one or both trucks broken, nearest town about 600km away. Base camp was at about 5200m. Nice trip!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109958612223411682295/UlughMuztaghIIFirstAscentExpedition2003

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:25:23 am by Petrus »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 06:18:36 am »

Just remembered one expedition with a slight connection to this thread. Two 6x6 Ural trucks, 6 weeks on the Taklamakan desert and Tibetan plane. We drove from Bishkek over the Torugart pass to Kashgar, then via Hotan and Queimo to Kun Lun mountains and Ulugh Muztahg. And back. Were stuck to 6 days in the quicksands at one point at 4300m altitude, with one or both trucks broken, nearest town about 600km away. Base camp was at about 5200m. Nice trip!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109958612223411682295/UlughMuztaghIIFirstAscentExpedition2003

Now, that's what I call an expedition!

That vast central Euro/Asian landmass that we know so little about is just ripe for exploration, that must have been one hell of a trip. Especially like the anvil of pure jade and it certainly puts into context all the tricked up 4x4's that might look good on the boulevard but would instantly fall down much beyond a stoney track.

I was in Finland myself last year, for a few days, and I must admit most of the cars I saw were just normal everyday saloons rather than the endless stream of pick ups you'd see in Canada. I did though, visit a farm out near Jamsa where they operated the locally built Valtra tractors both on the land and in the forest. There was some challenging terrain although this was taken nearer the farmstead. Lovely part of the world and very genuine people.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 06:32:04 am by Justinr »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 11:50:26 am »

Just remembered one expedition with a slight connection to this thread. Two 6x6 Ural trucks, 6 weeks on the Taklamakan desert and Tibetan plateau. We drove from Bishkek over the Torugart pass to Kashgar, then via Hotan and Queimo to Kun Lun mountains and Ulugh Muztahg. And back. Were stuck for 9 days in the quicksands at one point at 4300m altitude, with one or both trucks broken, nearest town about 600km away. Base camp was at about 5200m. Nice trip!

A fantastic journey!

However, what happened here? Too tight of corner, or was the driver not paying attention?

~ CB

IanB

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:05 pm »

How about Bowler? They seem to be able to produce effective machinery!

http://www.bowlermotorsport.com/the-cars/

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2015, 12:26:10 pm »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »

These look awsome

http://www.aev-conversions.com

Their Brute Double Cab has a wheelbase of 139 inches or over 3.5 metres. Yikes!  A long wheel  base can certainly help traction but come to bumpy ground and suddenly you have a see saw.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2015, 04:08:34 pm »

An Australian take on 4x4 campers -
http://traveltrucks.com.au
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:58:19 am by David Anderson »

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2015, 05:50:19 pm »

To add something related to photography here ;-)

Good idea! Notice the sweet light and sharp focus on this "concept" Benz.   :D

~ CB

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:16 pm »

Good idea! Notice the sweet light and sharp focus on this "concept" Benz.   :D

....and low profile tyres!  ;D

Edit, Anyway, that looks more CGI than photograph.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:34:16 pm by Justinr »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:07 pm »

An Australian take on 4x4 campers -
http://http://www.traveltrucks.com.au/expedition-camper

The link doesn't appear to be working. 

Colorado David

« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 10:30:35 pm »

One too many http:// in the address.

Try this instead: http://www.traveltrucks.com.au/expedition-camper

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2015, 03:31:44 am »

. . . Anyway, that looks more CGI than photograph.

What?! Too perfect?? Just look at those tire tracks!

~ CB

Petrus

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2015, 04:09:27 am »

A fantastic journey!

However, what happened here? Too tight of corner, or was the driver not paying attention?

Maybe both. The road from Taklamakan 1800m to Tula pastures 3200m curved so tightly in some places that the trucks had to back up once or twice. Starting uphill with 14 people inside, 300 m drops all around and the truck jumping off the gear (slipping back 2 meters) was probably the scariest thing I have ever encountered. And I had to take that road four times. It was also eroded away in couple of places so bad that the outside wheels had to go over a void. There was one rickety bridge also, covered with straw, over fairly swift river (all others were forded) which we had to cross, only to see a sign on the other side saying 2 tn…. Not to mention driving across this mountain range with a broken front axle, wheels pointing out about 15 degrees. One tire had lost almost all rubber when we reached Queimo to have the truck welded together, and the parts we had brought from the lame truck up on the plateau at 4300m.

It was also a quite surprise when the full auxiliary tank fell off when going at full speed on a sand flat. It threw the back to the truck up so violently that 2 members hit their heads in the roof and hurt their necks.

I shot video of this with one other member and it was made into a documentary "Into the Forgotten Valley" and show in National Geographic Adventure Channel. I also made my own version for the Finnish TV. We actually were the first people ever to reach the west side of the mountain.

http://ctfilms.com/into-the-forgotten-valley/

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:20 am »

Maybe both. The road from Taklamakan 1800m to Tula pastures 3200m curved so tightly in some places that the trucks had to back up once or twice. Starting uphill with 14 people inside, 300 m drops all around and the truck jumping off the gear (slipping back 2 meters) was probably the scariest thing I have ever encountered. And I had to take that road four times. It was also eroded away in couple of places so bad that the outside wheels had to go over a void. There was one rickety bridge also, covered with straw, over fairly swift river (all others were forded) which we had to cross, only to see a sign on the other side saying 2 tn…. Not to mention driving across this mountain range with a broken front axle, wheels pointing out about 15 degrees. One tire had lost almost all rubber when we reached Queimo to have the truck welded together, and the parts we had brought from the lame truck up on the plateau at 4300m.

It was also a quite surprise when the full auxiliary tank fell off when going at full speed on a sand flat. It threw the back to the truck up so violently that 2 members hit their heads in the roof and hurt their necks.

I shot video of this with one other member and it was made into a documentary "Into the Forgotten Valley" and show in National Geographic Adventure Channel. I also made my own version for the Finnish TV. We actually were the first people ever to reach the west side of the mountain.

http://ctfilms.com/into-the-forgotten-valley/

Although I marvel at the achievement and am perhaps just a little envious, I do wonder whether you'd be better off with several smaller vehicles next time. They are less likely to get stuck, easier to recover if they do, and offer flexibility and safety in numbers.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 03:05:42 pm »

Nice update. Thanks! What make & model is the truck? Where was it built?

Edit: Asked and answered.

Their secret weapons, in this battle between man and the elements, are two giant six-wheel drive trucks, converted from ex-Russian army rocket launchers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:10:32 pm by Chris_Brown »
~ CB

danlandoni

• www.danlandoni.com
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2015, 10:34:37 am »

Wow a whole thread on Landy!

Thought Id share my Defender 90. Taken with P30+  Let me know if you have any questions on them!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2015, 12:36:14 pm »

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Colorado David

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2015, 03:16:34 pm »

Tim, was your original question answered to your satisfaction?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2015, 07:33:44 pm »

Wow a whole thread on Landy!

Thought Id share my Defender 90. Taken with P30+  Let me know if you have any questions on them!

Proper tin wheels on her as well.

Good man!

Wish I had a picture of my old Series One to share. It's the same old story, they are selling for ten times what I sold it for it all those years ago.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:36:13 pm by Justinr »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up