Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rover Defender 110  (Read 36178 times)

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: Land Rover Defender 110
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 05:40:03 am »

All large (specially diesel) cars suffer in these reliability comparisons, as they are driven on the average much more per year, typically twice as much or more. Especially Mercedes E-series are hurt by this in Finland, as they are the most common taxicabs, driven a lot per annum.

Until recently, I lived in a fairly small town and my understanding from the local mechanical crowd is that most of the problems with new diesel 4x4's came down to poor fuel quality.
There was a lot of problems with water in the fuel.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 07:54:53 am »

Until recently, I lived in a fairly small town and my understanding from the local mechanical crowd is that most of the problems with new diesel 4x4's came down to poor fuel quality.
There was a lot of problems with water in the fuel.

A problem made worse by the inclusion of ethanol, which is Hygroscopic. Similar tales abound in this part of the world.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:03 am »

On the very narrow and steep alpine roads I see many  Defender 90, Toyota Land Cruiser, Suzuky Jimny (or the older Samurai, "Suzukino") and still the mythical Fiat Panda 4X4 first model. When the going gets really tough the queen is the Panda 4x4. Nothing goes higher even on the snow, without chains, even on muletracks. She (the Panda is female) is usually the last, lone, parked car (car?) along an alpine road.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:59:47 am by muntanela »

francois

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 10:33:26 am »

On the very narrow and steep alpine roads I see many  Defender 90, Toyota Land Cruiser, Suzuky Jimny (or the older Samurai, "Suzukino") and still the mythical Fiat Panda 4X4 first model. When the going gets really tough the queen is the Panda 4x4. Nothing goes higher even on the snow, without chains, even on muletracks. It’s usually the last, lone, parked car (car?) along an alpine road.

Seldom seen these days, Haflingers were quite popular about 20 years ago. This extremely narrow but spartan 4x4 was/is great in the Alps. Its larger brother, the Pinzgauer is also a very nice and competent vehicle for narrow trails.
Francois

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 05:41:26 pm »

Seldom seen these days, Haflingers were quite popular about 20 years ago. This extremely narrow but spartan 4x4 was/is great in the Alps. Its larger brother, the Pinzgauer is also a very nice and competent vehicle for narrow trails.

As another alternative these had a fearsome reputation for off road capability and weren't that bad mechanically wise, although the bodywork would hardly stay together. No idea what they were like on snow mind  -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 06:39:32 pm »

. . . "If I'd chosen to fix Toyotas, we'd all be starving."
Yup. I love my Tundra.

~ CB

David Anderson

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 09:11:08 pm »

Looks like something Darth Vader would drive.. 8)

Yup. I love my Tundra.

Petrus

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 12:40:33 am »

Another very capable off-roader with low profile tires…

????

francois

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 04:44:06 am »

As another alternative these had a fearsome reputation for off road capability and weren't that bad mechanically wise, although the bodywork would hardly stay together. No idea what they were like on snow mind  -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva

My brother in-law had one… Awful mileage, engine lacked power but the off-road capabilities were top-notch and they were dirt cheap compared to Pinzgauers, Haflingers or Jeeps/Land Rovers. Price was more like those of Suzukis or Pandas (1st gen).
Francois

Petrus

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 04:55:39 am »

16 years ago I saw a brand new Defender 90 body at the local off-road shop. I asked what happened to rest of the car. The story was that a newly rich Russian customer had driven a Lada Niva from Russia to Helsinki, and the shop had fitted the Niva body on a new V8 Defender 90 frame and engine. That was still the time when it was not wise to flash your wealth over there. Now things are different as we know.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:16 am »

Another very capable off-roader with low profile tires… ????

Increase of 7” lift in suspension and 37″ tires.  8)
~ CB

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 10:27:34 am »

As the Merc G class was mentioned a while ago I thought I'd post a link to this story.  A slightly funky presentation but a great read with some good photography.  Can't ask for much more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/special/2014/newsspec_8703/index.html

I'm planning to do some cross/round country trips this year (and maybe every year) and plan to get a used Sequoia (4x4) with 1/2 the rear seats removed to allow me to sleep in the back.  I want to be able to do dirt roads and snow/ice.  No rock crawling though.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 10:32:17 am »

I think it's more a question of lowering the tyre pressure to provide extra grip, with a tall side wall you can do this as there is more flex available At low pressure a tyre takes on some of the characteristics of a caterpillar track.  Not so sure that the effect is possible with low profile tyres.

Colorado David

« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 11:06:19 am »

Just an aside about airing down tires for traction.  Ralph Bagnold, the founder of the Long Range Desert Group during WWII in North Africa and the inventor of the Bagnold sun compass, developed the procedure of airing down to get more traction.  He was doing it with two wheel drive Ford Model T light cars for desert travel in the Sahara in the 1920s and 30s.

Petrus

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 11:11:57 am »

Big.

But low profile anyway...

red2

• http://
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

If you're in the New England area, Cityside Garage in Holliston, MA rebuilds and services various Land Rovers (including Defender 110s). I think they sell them through Copley Motors.
Links:
http://www.citysidegarage.com
http://www.copleymotorcars.com/?makes=land-rover
I have had my 1998 Range Rover serviced by Cityside. They are pretty good.
Regards,
Bob D.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 07:05:26 pm »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:11 pm »

But then you would just buy the Mini All4  :)

Edit : Or a Toyota (Tacoma I think in the US) ...

David Anderson

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »

Just an aside about airing down tires for traction.  Ralph Bagnold, the founder of the Long Range Desert Group during WWII in North Africa and the inventor of the Bagnold sun compass, developed the procedure of airing down to get more traction.  He was doing it with two wheel drive Ford Model T light cars for desert travel in the Sahara in the 1920s and 30s.

Makes a big difference to traction on some of the trails around here and also saves a lot of tire damage - not a bad thing when you've paid $400 a corner.. ;D

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:23 pm »

If you prefer more rubber, there's always the 1976 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 406 Doppelkabine 4x4:

Too top heavy? How 'bout the Ariel Nomad:

~ CB
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up