Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing lens hoods  (Read 19963 times)

armand

• Photos
Securing lens hoods
« on: December 16, 2014, 06:30:33 pm »

After losing another hood in the last week (first I found) I think I need a better method.

Last one I lost while carrying the camera on the tripod over my shoulder. One solution would be to take it off, but I have to do it every time and my OCD might not be strong enough.
Any other solutions, something like securing the hood to the lens if not too clumsy?

PS. it was a Nikon, much easier to put on vs the Fuji but easier to come off also

deejjjaaaa

Re: Securing lens hoods
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:08:50 pm »

After losing another hood in the last week (first I found) I think I need a better method.

Last one I lost while carrying the camera on the tripod over my shoulder. One solution would be to take it off, but I have to do it every time and my OCD might not be strong enough.
Any other solutions, something like securing the hood to the lens if not too clumsy?

PS. it was a Nikon, much easier to put on vs the Fuji but easier to come off also

cut a piece from an old bike rubber inner tube of an appropriate diameter and roll over hood & lens...

sniper

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:02:20 am »

I've never had a problem but one of my friends lost so many she's now drilled a tiny hole in the bottom and attached what looks like fishing line fastened the the neck strap clip, it works for her.

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

Wow, I've never had this problem.  My older lenses have either screw in hoods or metal bayonet that don't come off.  And most of my newer lenses (constant aperture zooms) have hoods with a push button locking mechanism on them.  I'm still trying to picture how they come off.  Something hitting the hood like walking in the woods or just the jostling of the camera?

I guess a little duck tape!  No seriously, maybe a little Gaffers tape when in situations you find this an issue.

ProTapes Pro Gaff Matte Cloth Gaffer's Tape with Rubber Adhesive

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 04:38:42 pm »

I was so infuriated at the lens hood falling-off Sony A-mount lenses, that I complained about it in a review comment on the Sony website.

A few months later, an email notified me that someone had replied to my review. The reply kindly informed me that the lens hood must be twisted past the first hint of resistance, and would then lock-in-place.

Sure enough, as-long-as I put the lens hood on properly it doesn't fall off ;-)

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »

I was so infuriated at the lens hood falling-off Sony A-mount lenses, that I complained about it in a review comment on the Sony website.

A few months later, an email notified me that someone had replied to my review. The reply kindly informed me that the lens hood must be twisted past the first hint of resistance, and would then lock-in-place.

Had not thought that one might not twist it all the way.  Every bayonet hood/lens body is designed that way.  You have to twist it to the point of clicking in to the detents.  The newer Nikons have a little button that must be pushed to twist it back past that detent.

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 06:01:39 pm »

Didn't want to break it :-)

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 10:07:08 pm »

I use gaffer's tape on several hoods that have caused problems in the past. In particular, the new Canon 24-70 mk II hood, with its push button lock, is awful - the lock unlocks all the time and the hood falls off while I'm walking around. Lots of gaff tape on that one :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:24:24 pm »

Another vote for gaffer's tape.
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »

+1 for gaffer's tape but the fishing line method sounds good also!

However, I keep bumping mine and cracking/breaking shades. My solution is to by the cheap ones on-line 2-3 at a time for regular replacement.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

stamper

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 04:06:46 am »

I take it you have your lens cap permanently in place which is the reason why you don't have any images to post here? ;) :)

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 05:29:10 pm »

I take it you have nothing to say about the topic being discussed.

Isaac

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:20:25 pm »

A product catalog arrived in the mail: I haven't needed to try them, but perhaps these 3rd party lens hoods might work better for you.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 07:28:19 am »

A product catalog arrived in the mail: I haven't needed to try them, but perhaps these 3rd party lens hoods might work better for you.

I already have one on the way from BH, will see how it works.

bassman51

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 03:35:04 pm »

I buy lens hoods and caps in bulk.  They all fall off.  At least since I've standardized my m43 kit so all the lenses take 58mm caps, I can share as needed.  Not so easy with hoods. 

Maybe a little glue on the lens cap ... Going for that noir image look.   
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

dwswager

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:36 pm »

I buy lens hoods and caps in bulk.  They all fall off.  At least since I've standardized my m43 kit so all the lenses take 58mm caps, I can share as needed.  Not so easy with hoods. 

Maybe a little glue on the lens cap ... Going for that noir image look.   

You might need different lenses then.  Obviously my Nikkors with screw in hoods never fall off (e.g. 85mm f/1.8D).  Both the 80-200mm f/2.8D and the 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II plastic bayonets never fall off.  The older lens hood just clicked in while the newer one has a tab that must be pressed to release the hood, otherwise you have to break it to get it off.  Same with the 24-70mm f/2.8G.  Even older primes with metal bayonet hoods don't fall off regularly unless you don't put them on correctly, though through the wood you can get them to come off with enough branch strikes.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:42 am »

I use a lens cap leash.  I stick the adhesive disk on the side of the lens hood and put the elastic loop over the lens.  That way if my lens hood becomes detached, it will hang from the lens and probably bump against my leg, thereby alerting me. 
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Deardorff

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:47 am »

Gaffers tape has worked well for this type of thing for decades.

Paul Wright

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 04:23:41 am »

Years ago in frustration about how lens back-caps became sloppy over time with repeated use, I looked at why this was happening. With backcaps it's the plastic lug that wears a bit thin, thus leading to a sloppy cap than can fall off. So the quick and dirty fix was to hit the lug pretty hard with flame from a gas cigarette lighter until it just about caught fire at which point it expands. It's pretty easy to manage and you get another few years from the tightened cap.

More recently after losing my second lens hood on my Canon 24-70 f/2.8II I bought a couple of cheapie eBay hoods and tried the same technique, though MUCH more carefully. Look and determine which lug on the hood actually makes the lock onto the lens and hit this with more modest heat, just going a bit at a time and experimenting. Ta-da! nice tight hoods. Ah the magic of fire...

-pw

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 04:38:45 am »

Years ago in frustration about how lens back-caps became sloppy over time with repeated use, I looked at why this was happening. With backcaps it's the plastic lug that wears a bit thin, thus leading to a sloppy cap than can fall off. So the quick and dirty fix was to hit the lug pretty hard with flame from a gas cigarette lighter until it just about caught fire at which point it expands. It's pretty easy to manage and you get another few years from the tightened cap.

More recently after losing my second lens hood on my Canon 24-70 f/2.8II I bought a couple of cheapie eBay hoods and tried the same technique, though MUCH more carefully. Look and determine which lug on the hood actually makes the lock onto the lens and hit this with more modest heat, just going a bit at a time and experimenting. Ta-da! nice tight hoods. Ah the magic of fire...

-pw

I'm wondering how you could loose the lens hood on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II. It has a lock button that need to be pressed to turn it back again to take it off. You must not have turned it into locking position. The same design is used on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II lenses and the do not fall off if locked into position. If not in position you could also have a bit of unwanted vignetting.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up