Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Securing lens hoods  (Read 19951 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Securing lens hoods
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 05:07:10 am »

"I guess a little duck tape!"

One of life's little mysteries, it's duct tape. However, so many people get it wrong that duck tape is now acceptable!

No offence meant, just an observation.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Paul Wright

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 08:14:45 am »

I'm wondering how you could loose the lens hood on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II. It has a lock button that need to be pressed to turn it back again to take it off. You must not have turned it into locking position. The same design is used on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II lenses and the do not fall off if locked into position. If not in position you could also have a bit of unwanted vignetting.
It's a perfectly reasonable point Hans. Though a number of posters in this thread have the same experience. My 70-200 f/2.8isII hood has always stayed put. The lost 24-70 f/2.8II hoods have both unhitched at very crowded events where bumps and pushes in crowds with the camera at my side have done the job. That hood lock seems fine in the studio or passive environments, but that's not where I always work. I haven't lost a modified hood for over twelve months now so all good! But I have had 600EX-RT speedlights get busted in crowds too. They're designed to break when a given pressure is reached to avoid damage to the prism. It's a reasonably inexpensive fix, just a bit of a nuisance having to get over to CPS when it happens, not to mention getting the job finished properly. There's always a spare in the bag.

-pw
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:17:22 am by Paul Wright »

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:26 am »

It's a perfectly reasonable point Hans. Though a number of posters in this thread have the same experience. My 70-200 f/2.8isII hood has always stayed put. The lost 24-70 f/2.8II hoods have both unhitched at very crowded events where bumps and pushes in crowds with the camera at my side have done the job. That hood lock seems fine in the studio or passive environments, but that's not where I always work. I haven't lost a modified hood for over twelve months now so all good! But I have had 600EX-RT speedlights get busted in crowds too. They're designed to break when a given pressure is reached to avoid damage to the prism. It's a reasonably inexpensive fix, just a bit of a nuisance having to get over to CPS when it happens, not to mention getting the job finished properly. There's always a spare in the bag.

-pw

Point taken :)

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 06:37:22 am »

I'm wondering how you could loose the lens hood on the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II. It has a lock button that need to be pressed to turn it back again to take it off. You must not have turned it into locking position.

That hood is the worst offender for me. The push button gets pushed and the hood falls off while the camera is being carried over my shoulder. Happened several times, and yes I do know how to attach the hood properly. It also happens when taking the lens out of a roller bag, any slight twisting motion and off pops the hood, since the button is pushed the whole time inside the compartment.

I fixed it with the proper application of  gaffer's tape. Lots of tape.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 06:41:34 am »

That hood is the worst offender for me. The push button gets pushed and the hood falls off while the camera is being carried over my shoulder. Happened several times, and yes I do know how to attach the hood properly. It also happens when taking the lens out of a roller bag, any slight twisting motion and off pops the hood, since the button is pushed the whole time inside the compartment.

I fixed it with the proper application of  gaffer's tape. Lots of tape.

I agree that it is easier to push than e.g. the longer mk II lenses. I normally turn the shade the opposite way when I put the camera in the bag and turn it around again when taking the camera out. If I did not do this I have also experienced what you mention.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 08:17:42 am »

"I guess a little duck tape!"

One of life's little mysteries, it's duct tape. However, so many people get it wrong that duck tape is now acceptable!

No offence meant, just an observation.

Cheers,

Actually both terms are correct.

Adhesive tape made with Cotton Duck (a specific weave of canvas) was manufactured during WWII.  It was not until after the war that the Melvin A. Anderson Company acquired the rights to the tape design and sold it as Duct Tape.  In the 1960's Albert Arno, Inc trademarked the term "Ductape" for their brand of fabric based adhesive tape.  When the Melvin Anderson company was sold in the early 1970's, the new company trademarked the term "Duck Tape".

What is particulary interesting is that Duct Tape is not supposed to be used on AC Ducting according to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory... Ok, probably interesting only to me.  ;D

Probably much more than you every wanted to know about tape.   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 11:17:53 am »

After losing another hood in the last week (first I found) I think I need a better method.

Last one I lost while carrying the camera on the tripod over my shoulder. One solution would be to take it off, but I have to do it every time and my OCD might not be strong enough.
Any other solutions, something like securing the hood to the lens if not too clumsy?

PS. it was a Nikon, much easier to put on vs the Fuji but easier to come off also

Yep, it's been mentioned before that Nikon lens hoods and cap (both ends) are an absolute pain to keep in place. I have to put rubber bands around lenses that aren't being used to keep the protection from falling off. Was never a problem on the Pentax!

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 12:16:39 pm »

Actually both terms are correct.

Adhesive tape made with Cotton Duck (a specific weave of canvas) was manufactured during WWII.  It was not until after the war that the Melvin A. Anderson Company acquired the rights to the tape design and sold it as Duct Tape.  In the 1960's Albert Arno, Inc trademarked the term "Ductape" for their brand of fabric based adhesive tape.  When the Melvin Anderson company was sold in the early 1970's, the new company trademarked the term "Duck Tape".

What is particulary interesting is that Duct Tape is not supposed to be used on AC Ducting according to the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory... Ok, probably interesting only to me.  ;D

Probably much more than you every wanted to know about tape.   ;D

Ah the joy's of going off topic! It's these little nuggets that make nonsense of those proclamations that insist we stick rigidly to the subject in hand like monks earnestly preserving their chastity.

Paul Wright

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:39 am »

Yep, it's been mentioned before that Nikon lens hoods and cap (both ends) are an absolute pain to keep in place. I have to put rubber bands around lenses that aren't being used to keep the protection from falling off. Was never a problem on the Pentax!

...so try the technique I mentioned earlier in this thread:

With backcaps it's the plastic lug that wears a bit thin, thus leading to a sloppy cap than can fall off. So the quick and dirty fix was to hit the lug pretty hard with flame from a gas cigarette lighter until it just about caught fire at which point it expands. It's pretty easy to manage and you get another few years from the tightened cap.

-pw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up