Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyway to speed up C1-8 Catalog?  (Read 7246 times)

Jimmy D Uptain

Anyway to speed up C1-8 Catalog?
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:59:13 am »

Are there any tricks to speed up the catalog loading, and searching?
Its not painfully slow on loading but the searching could use a little boost.

I'm on a Mac Pro 2012
24GB Ram
512 SSD in the PCI Express slot.
Catalog resides on the SSD, the original images on a spinning disk.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Anyway to speed up C1-8 Catalog?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:21:49 am »

Are there any tricks to speed up the catalog loading, and searching?
Its not painfully slow on loading but the searching could use a little boost.

I'm on a Mac Pro 2012
24GB Ram
512 SSD in the PCI Express slot.
Catalog resides on the SSD, the original images on a spinning disk.

Hi Jimmy,

You shouldn't really be having any performance issues.  I would drop a note to support so they can diagnose and fix.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:50:24 am »

Thanks David, I'll get right on it.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:04 pm »

Ok, here's where I am at.
I opened a support case. The team's initial response was that my HDD was the bottleneck. The catalog resides on the SSD, while the originals are on the HDD.
I was under the impression that the catalog was where I needed the speed. I mean C1 is designed so that the user can search,keyword and even edit photos while the originals
were "disconnected" such as the with an external drive. So why would the HDD have an effect other than the speed of ingestion/generation of previews?

My question to the group is:
How big are your catalogs? Does catalog size have an impact?
My catalog is about 54GB. The originals are around 500GB.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:42:01 am »

So I'm the only one with a catalog this size??

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:48:52 pm »

Hi Jimmy, my catalog is bigger than yours and do not have any lag issue. Mine is as yours stored on the SSD and the RAW Files are stored on a RAID 5 Pegasus.  I really do not have any delay problem; therefore, I could not understand why you are having issues, nevertheless you should follow the instructions of support.
cheers,
Daniel

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:24:44 pm »

Hi Jimmy, my catalog is bigger than yours and do not have any lag issue. Mine is as yours stored on the SSD and the RAW Files are stored on a RAID 5 Pegasus.  I really do not have any delay problem; therefore, I could not understand why you are having issues, nevertheless you should follow the instructions of support.
cheers,
Daniel

That's good to hear.
It does make me feel better knowing that this maybe something that can be rectified.
Does your catalog search work as responsively when the Pegasus is unattached?

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:52 am »

So I'm the only one with a catalog this size??

Hey Jimmy,

This is by no means a large catalog size.  If you continue to have issues maintain dialog with support.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

Hello Jimmy, yes it works w/o any issue. Have you get any answer from Support? I really do not think it is a problem due to the configuration you have, might be something additional, unleast your RAW files are stored on an external hard drive connected with USB 2.0

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:56 am »

Hello Jimmy, yes it works w/o any issue. Have you get any answer from Support? I really do not think it is a problem due to the configuration you have, might be something additional, unleast your RAW files are stored on an external hard drive connected with USB 2.0

I sent them my catalog file. Right now they are looking at it.
In the mean time I have been messing around trying to find the issue on my own.
Last night I installed Media Pro. Now that is how a cataloging system should work. It screams!
I only did it to create a catalog and use C1's importer to import the Media Pro catalog.
It only took a few minutes to create the Media Pro catalog. It will probably take a couple of days for C1 to create this new experimental catalog from the Media Pro catalog.

When you mentioned where my Raw files are stored a little lightbulb went off in my head.
I checked the speed from my tower to my iOsafe backup drive connected via 2.0 USB.
The read/write was about 30mb/s. I was using Black Magic to test with.
This is not the drive where I store my photos.
The drive where I store my raw files is in one of the bays The same speed test yielded about 100mb/s on any one of the four drives. Now this may be a bit slow, but I'm not sure its that big a deal.
I have my LR catalog AND raw files on the same hdd drive. It is slower than if the LR catalog is on the SSD but not C1 slow.
I'm really looking forward to having things the way they should be.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:25 am »

Update:
Media pro import didn't go well. I gave up after two days.
I then copied all my originals to a formatted drive. Created a new catalog using that drive.
This time I kept an eye on progress and made notes. They aren't absolutely consistent but they are revealing.
Here's my import times:
Up to 6000 imports things run quickly. After that, it starts to slow down.
11,830=1.31 seconds per file.
12,000=1.375
12,200 =1.435
13,000=1.504
13,500=1.629
14,500=1.802
15,130=1.977
17,250=3.593
17,700=4.661
18,412=4.574
23,315=10.27
At this point I gave up again.

Now, I'm gonna try and import my Lightroom catalog.
So far I have noticed that instead of completion estimates going up, they are coming down. Exact opposite behavior when creating a catalog from scratch.
I also noticed that regardless of what catalog I generate the number of images that C1 is trying to import remains the same.
However that number is significantly different than the images that LR seems to find.
Lightroom catalog is about 35,000 images. C1 has close to 38,000 "images" These are all from the same drive.
In Finder, it shows about 38,000 images.
I'm curious to know what LR is ignoring.
If your first inclination is that I have a lot of duplicates, well I checked with a lil app I found.
I did have about 3GB worth of dupes but not 3000 images.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:15:16 pm »

Jimmy, C1 v 8 and Media Pro don't work together, review the documentation regarding it.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:19:46 am »

Jimmy, C1 v 8 and Media Pro don't work together, review the documentation regarding it.

I wasn't asking them to work together in the normal sense. I was trying to import a Media Pro catalog into C1.

Anyway the numbers are from a catalog being built from scratch, not the Media Pro import.

My Lightroom experiment is still going. The import has been going for 22 hrs and there is still 10,000 remaining.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »

After 40+ hours my Lightroom catalog import was complete.
Still no dice.

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 02:22:37 pm »

....that was long, way too long, but good that is done. Now you can enjoy life.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 02:50:16 pm »

....that was long, way too long, but good that is done. Now you can enjoy life.

Thanks, but I'm gonna trash that catalog. Its no faster than my original.

I can work in C1 just fine. Adjustments are quick and well done. As long as I stay out of the Library tab, everything is great.
If I ever wonder over to the Library, things slow to a crawl.
It's as if the Library and keywords aren't being cached, but have to be re-read everytime I click on that tab.

I was able to catch it "not responding" and force quit just to generate a crash report. I'm hoping that will help them.

Emile Gregoire

• My website
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 11:43:22 am »

Thanks, but I'm gonna trash that catalog. Its no faster than my original.

I can work in C1 just fine. Adjustments are quick and well done. As long as I stay out of the Library tab, everything is great.
If I ever wonder over to the Library, things slow to a crawl.
It's as if the Library and keywords aren't being cached, but have to be re-read everytime I click on that tab.

I was able to catch it "not responding" and force quit just to generate a crash report. I'm hoping that will help them.

Hi Jimmy,

Did you ever manage to speed up your catalog? I'm on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro and I've all but given up on using the library function but I'd dearly love to totally switch from Lightroom as I prefer the output I get from C1. Problem is, my catalog (40K images, about 45GB worth of previews e.a.) is slow as molasses. Wondering how you fared!

Regards,
Emile

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:04:32 am »

Hi Jimmy,

Did you ever manage to speed up your catalog? I'm on a mid-2010 Macbook Pro and I've all but given up on using the library function but I'd dearly love to totally switch from Lightroom as I prefer the output I get from C1. Problem is, my catalog (40K images, about 45GB worth of previews e.a.) is slow as molasses. Wondering how you fared!

Regards,
Emile

The short answer is no.
I do however have a suggestion.
In the first tab (Library), remove the keyword search feature. This made a huge impact on switching between tabs.
You can still search using the search function found in the browser tool .
Opening the catalog still takes upwards of two minutes. Building the catalog still takes days.

Now for my rant.
I can also say that chasing the dragon of C1 performance can be expensive.
When I opened my support case, the first thing C1 did was to blame my drives as the bottleneck.
I countered that my catalog resides on a SSD with a tested read/write of over 400MBs. They countered that the bottleneck then must be on my spinning drive where the originals reside.
This made absolutely no sense as C1 was DESIGNED to be run offline.
However, I relented and bought a 1TB Samsung SSD, rebuilt the catalog again, with the originals on the 1TB and the catalog on the other 500GB SSD.
Still no change.
On a related note: I put LR's catalog on the same spinning drive, and it was a little slower, but miles ahead of the SSD based C1 catalog.
During all of this, I rebuilt my catalog numerous times, each time starting from a different file structure.
What I found was C1 built catalog significantly faster when the original file structure is divided up into smaller folders.
It doesn't like large file folders.

I relayed this information to C1, and while they seem interested, they just closed my case without resolution.

Emile Gregoire

• My website
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:47 am »

Thanks for replying and confirming my suspicion about this not being solved. I'd already turned off the filter tool, but thanks for the tip. The catalog function definitely isn't up for prime time. I too have had it with days of rebuilding catalogs and still winding up with 2 minute start-up time and 10 minutes of spinning beach balls just opening the filter tool... I think I'll use multiple smaller catalogs in the meantime until they get this sorted out, but there are downsides to that approach too. Anyway, good to know I'm not alone in this!

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 04:33:17 pm »

Same here. Maybe we should start a support group.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up