Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Japanese Kozo Paper Thin - New Signature Worthy Fine Art Paper  (Read 26115 times)

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Epson Japanese Kozo Paper Thin - New Signature Worthy Fine Art Paper
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2014, 12:34:18 am »

Epson's new Japanese Kozo Paper Thin------seems like a really really nice unique fine art paper.  I just received a sample from Gary, and it has done nothing but increased my yearning for more.  The first thing to cross my mind when placing this paper in hand is that it's soft. It feels good.  That may be a weird first impression, but it has a really nice fine art tactile feel.  It has a fine subtle texture.  And yes, it is thin. With the backer in place, you would think it is just another heavy fine art paper, and indeed you could even leave the backer on. You probably wouldn't even know to pull the backer off without knowing before hand.  I had a bit of trouble peeling off the backer on the small piece that I was given and not sure if I did it correctly.

I do want to try printing on this new paper!  I hope US distributors can sell this new Epson paper.

:)  Ken

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2014, 04:17:27 am »

The Epson Kozo 34 gsm is added to the Oriental paper map of SpectrumViz.

Where you describe the paper as being soft I find the almost glossy smooth backside of the 34 gsm Kozo itself a bit uncharacteristic for an oriental paper (in the tactile sense). Comparing the spectral plots of the Awagami Kozo Thin 70 gsm with the Epson Kozo Thin 34gsm the translucency is identical. I did not expect that considering the weight difference. Both sheets on top of a white sheet with black text give similar readability so transparency is also similar. I guess the inkjet coating of the Epson Kozo Thin 34 gsm is more opaque than that of the Awagami 70 gsm Kozo. Have not tested printing so can not compare print results.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
November 2014 update, 680+ inkjet media white spectral plots

deanwork

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

Just received my sample.

Thank you Gary!

I like it. I wish the hell I could get some to test it. It's been out over a year. I wonder what is taking them so long to send this to distributors?

Ernst, did you notice a dmax difference between the thicker Awagami or Hiromi coated kozo sheets and this Epson? Although I don't see much of a color gamut difference between the Epson kozo and what I've used before, I do notice a much tighter dot pattern and greater sharpness while still looking very organic with a beautiful surface. But I've yet to test the japanese versions of the kozo with inkjet receptor coating.

I'm about to print some of the Hiromi coated for inkjet media this week and I can report back what I see from it. The Epson sample they sent me doesn't look like kozo on the back as traditional mulberry papers do, it's much slicker, but that doesn't bother me because the way I would show it nobody would be seeing the back. It would also be quite nice in a portfolio that one could hold in your hands up to the light.

john

davidh202

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2014, 11:54:11 pm »

Received mine also looks great -anxious to get some to test.
 Am going to ask my distributor- ATLEX  to prod Epson USA  to order some  ...
Thanks Gary!

Jim Metzger

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2014, 10:14:10 am »

Love the sample Gary was gracious enough to send. My first delivery from Kathmandu!

I cannot speak to the technical properties (longevity, Dmax, etc.) of this paper as many who have posted ( I have been using and trust Epson papers for 15 years) but I can tell you it is luxurious to the hand and eye. It is the closest thing to handmade paper for inkjet printing that I have seen. The randomness of the surface texture and opacity of the paper is very much like handmade rice paper used for Shoji screens. Epson really must consider bringing this paper to the US, it is a unique product with a wide range of use. I print for myself and several artists who will want this paper ASAP.

The subtle texture and transparency are beautiful and even if mounted on an opaque backer it is still visually arresting. The color saturation and contrast appears to be of a higher level than most of the matte papers I have seen.

I am also an Architect I believe that this paper would be beautiful as a display medium, front lit during the day and backlit at night.

I will be discussing the importation of this paper with my local supplier, Professional Graphics in Elmsford NY. in the hope we might give everyone the opportunity to use this paper in the US.

Thank you Gary,

Regards

Jim

MHMG

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 10:59:03 am »

Gary, thank you for making the effort to send me a sample.  i received it last Friday. You should be very proud of your role in the bringing this fascinating inkjet media to market.

I have a very favorable first impression of the  EJKPT paper. It is quite a unique product with beautiful tactile delicacy yet superior scuff resistance, IMHO, than just about any other matte finish fine art paper I've tried. Color gamut and Dmax is first rate on the sample I received.  I trust that Epson has done it's due diligence with accelerated thermal testing of the polymeric coating(s) on the verso and that they are non yellowing over time. Overall, I can see many creative applications for this paper.

I don't have any personal influence with Epson management, but I will certainly give my dealer a nudge to try to help convince Epson to bring it to the US market in the near future.

best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

rxchaos

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2014, 03:04:46 pm »

I printed a B&W and color image on the Epson Japanese Kozo Paper yesterday using an Epson7900, the factory icc profile for the paper and with the media type set to "UltraSmoothFineArt" paper. With the backing paper still on, the colors appeared rich and the blacks deep.  I removed the backing and the paper has a beautiful texture and a very nice translucency. 

When the backing is removed the translucent quality of the paper dulls the saturation a little.  I wonder whether slightly over saturating the colors might help; or alternatively create a custom icc profile (i1Profiler+i1Pro2) and increase the "saturation" value in i1Profiler's Perceptual Rendering to compensate for the decreased saturation.

And, if I were to create a custom icc profile I assume I should profile the paper after I've removed the backing. 

Any suggestions Gary?

Thank you.

-c

william

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »

I may have missed this earlier in this thread, but from where can one actually buy this paper?

rxchaos

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2014, 04:22:25 pm »

I may have missed this earlier in this thread, but from where can one actually buy this paper?

I got the paper in the UK from an Epson distributor.

william

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2014, 04:40:17 pm »

Thanks.  I'm in the US, though, so I guess I'm out of luck unless I want to pay overseas shipping...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up