Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Yosemite not recommended by PhaseOne  (Read 24079 times)

Harald L

Yosemite not recommended by PhaseOne
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:42:07 am »

As we know Capture One 8.x doesn't support OS-X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) so you have to upgrade to 10.9 (Mavericks).  So if you're playing with the idea to upgrade to the new OS-X Release 10.10 (Yosemite) then read the release-note carefully:

"It is not recommended using Capture One with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite."

Harald

PS: This is just an information but not a critique because I know from my own experience that you are good advised to test new systems from Apple (and others) very carefully before releasing your software on it.
Glad to be an amateur

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Yosemite not recommended by PhaseOne
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:34:39 am »

I did contact Capture One this morning about this issue.
Here is the reply I received.

Stuart,

No. Or at least we cannot recommend or suggest that you use Yosemite.
Yosemite is new, as of yesterday, and it would be wise to wait until there is at least one service update for the OS as well as a version of Capture One released that specifically states it supports Yosemite.

Kind Regards,
Phase One Support

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:01:51 am »

"it would be wise to wait until there is at least one service update for the OS as well as a version of Capture One released that specifically states it supports Yosemite."

Good advice for ANY software.

ario

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:43 pm »

Good advise, but I am using CO8 and Yosemite since the launch of CO8 and everything so far is fine.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 01:08:37 pm »

Good advise, but I am using CO8 and Yosemite since the launch of CO8 and everything so far is fine.

Ario,

That's interesting. So I assume you where using beta version? Have you upgraded to the final version?
I just do not care to get stuck where nothing works.

Stu

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 05:04:30 pm »

Ario,

That's interesting. So I assume you where using beta version? Have you upgraded to the final version?

Stu

I ran it all day on a tethered location shoot, 10.10, rMBP, c1v8.01, capture pilot.  Flawless. 

Craig Lamson Photo

howardm

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 06:17:38 pm »

So PO is saying they can't pony up the $99 or so to get developer status so that they could have had access to the multitude of DP and GM RC versions of 10.10 ?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
I'm relieved
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:40:56 pm »

Well, I feel better. When I looked at the title of this thread, I though P1 was giving out travel advisories. ;)

Jim

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 07:10:22 pm »

So PO is saying they can't pony up the $99 or so to get developer status so that they could have had access to the multitude of DP and GM RC versions of 10.10 ?

LOL.

Phase One of course has developer status with both Microsoft and Apple, and test on early beta OSs, late beta OSs, GM OSs, and final release OSs. They often make bug reports to each during the beta process on developer hooks which aren't working as-advertised.

But Apple has a long history of making changes between the Gold Master they give developers and the download provided to the public. In the case of Capture One, since it relies heavily on leveraging powerful (but sometimes finicky) hooks like OpenCL even small changes can be highly problematic. Moreover they use SDKs provided by Canon, Nikon, and Sony, so if any of those SDKs show a problem in a new OS it will be blamed on Phase One.

All signs are that C1 runs beautifully under 10.10. But it's good advice from Phase One to wait at least one OS update and at least one C1 update before committing to such an update for professional, mission critical workflows.

If you would like to be a guinea pig, please feel free. If you do, please report (via a support case at phaseone.com) any problems you have.

C1 is professional software, and it's assumed that professionals do not update to new OS's the same day they are released (or in the first few weeks) they are available, at least on any production machines.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »

I agree, it took Mavericks until 10.9.4 to mature...
and 10.10 seems to be loaded with new stuff making the system even more complex.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

ario

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:44:25 pm »

Ario,

Stu
Yes now I have upgraded to the final official version (one machine only, the other is still on Mavericks).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:48:55 pm by ario »

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »

Things are working just fine with me too.
FWIW I am running:
Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
24 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 02:47:32 am »

Usable here.
Menus sometimes not working, previews sometimes not building and heavy pixelation when previewing a recipe.

I did upgrade to Yosemite on my machine because it fixed a very irritating mail problem for me and the problems with c1 are workable for a few weeks. But it's far from working flawless.

meartur

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 03:38:44 am »

I'm running C1 on the latest Mac Pro and I'm experiencing weird things when using OpenCL. The exported files have some strange and obvious artefacts. I regret upgrading too soon. I had to disable OpenCL for now which unfortunately makes things much slower.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:42:34 am »

Usable here.
Menus sometimes not working, previews sometimes not building and heavy pixelation when previewing a recipe.

I did upgrade to Yosemite on my machine because it fixed a very irritating mail problem for me and the problems with c1 are workable for a few weeks. But it's far from working flawless.

I left my workstation and one location laptop on 10.9.5. I'm in the peak of my busy season so those machines are locked down as is.  Sorry you are having problems.  I'm going to process today using the rMBP with Yosemite to see how it goes.  But i processed a number of files yesterday while shooting with no problems.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 09:43:29 am »

I'm running C1 on the latest Mac Pro and I'm experiencing weird things when using OpenCL. The exported files have some strange and obvious artefacts. I regret upgrading too soon. I had to disable OpenCL for now which unfortunately makes things much slower.

Can you revert via a clone?
Craig Lamson Photo

Frank Doorhof

• http://
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 12:54:39 pm »

The weird thing is that today expect for the pixelation when building the preview and when previewing a style everything works fine again.
Maybe tomorrow everything is ok :D

Anyway it's usable enough for me.
So I'm upgrading at the moment, the fix from mail is incredibly important for me, have been working with outlook for a few months and I can't wait to get back to Apple Mail to be honest. Outlook has more options but somehow I like Apple mail more and I have less problems with Apple Mail, outlook has a lot of problems with my contacts/calender and sending large files.

meartur

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 01:23:14 pm »

Can you revert via a clone?

To the earlier OS X version? I would prefer to work on Yosemite.

Richard Marcellus

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 07:10:58 pm »

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Yosemite and everything is working fine with C1Pro 8 so far.

Richard

meartur

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 05:00:30 am »

I upgraded my MacBook Pro to Yosemite and everything is working fine with C1Pro 8 so far.

Richard

Are you using OpenCL?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up