Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac  (Read 9519 times)

bjanes

Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac
« on: October 08, 2014, 09:31:35 pm »

I am a long time windows user and just bought an iMacPro when my windows laptop died. The screen is gorgeous and am adapting well to the OS.

However, one thing that the Mac version of LR seems to lack is the ability to display an info overlay in full screen mode. CMD+J does nothing on the Mac when one is in full screen mode, whereas with Windows it does display the info overlay.

I am using OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and the latest version of LR (ver 5.6).

Thanks,

Bill

P.S.

I am working in the library module for this.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:19:49 am by bjanes »

francois

Re: Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:30:06 am »

On my Mac, when in Develop mode,  I use just the I key (without command or control), J will show clipped areas.
Francois

bjanes

Re: Info Overlay in Full Screen on the Mac--ANYONE??
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:44:45 am »

I am a long time windows user and just bought an iMacPro when my windows laptop died. The screen is gorgeous and am adapting well to the OS.

However, one thing that the Mac version of LR seems to lack is the ability to display an info overlay in full screen mode. CMD+J does nothing on the Mac when one is in full screen mode, whereas with Windows it does display the info overlay.

I am using OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 and the latest version of LR (ver 5.6).

Thanks,

Bill

P.S.

I am working in the library module for this.

With all the Mac users on this forum, I am disappointed that no one has taken the effort to check this out. Is this a bug that should be reported to Adobe, or is it something wrong with my setup? Isn't one of the purposes of this forum to help out others?

Bill

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:33:21 am »

On my Mac, hitting, CMD + J displays the Library or Develop View Options dialog.

Perhaps, I didn't understand your question or issue… If that's the case, then I'm sorry.
Francois

bjanes

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 10:46:26 am »

On my Mac, hitting, CMD + J displays the Library or Develop View Options dialog.

Perhaps, I didn't understand your question or issue… If that's the case, then I'm sorry.

Thanks for the reply, but you appear to be in Loupe mode. I want the info overlay in full screen as shown below. Here it is on Windows, but I have no luck with the Mac.

Bill

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:56 am »

Bill, it seems to be a feature of Mac (or the lack thereof). So, yes, when in full-screen mode (pressing "F") you can not have info overlay at the same time. The same goes for the "L" mode (lights-off mode, or background dimming), you can't have info overlay either.

I guess the logic is that for both modes the purpose is to see the picture itself, and only the picture, on a clean black background, uncluttered with anything else.

francois

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 10:57:59 am »

Thanks for the reply, but you appear to be in Loupe mode. I want the info overlay in full screen as shown below. Here it is on Windows, but I have no luck with the Mac.

Bill

Bill,
I think I understand your issue… finally!  If I'm in full screen mode (F) then CMD-J does nothing (10.9.5, LR 5.6).

Edit: Slobodan describes exactly what I see on my Mac…
Francois

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:28 am »

With all the Mac users on this forum, I am disappointed that no one has taken the effort to check this out. Is this a bug that should be reported to Adobe, or is it something wrong with my setup? Isn't one of the purposes of this forum to help out others?

Bill

Sorry for not replying sooner. I saw your question first on my iPhone and said to myself I'll check it and reply when I get to my desktop, and then... got distractied :-[

Eyeball

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 11:06:56 am »

Does the I key work to toggle the info?

If it doesn't, try this:
- In Library mode, show one image (not full-screen, just the one pic full window mode).
- Hit the I key a few times to see if the Info overlay shows (you may need to wait a sec for the image to fully load).
- If that works, then put the image into full-screen mode and see if the I key continues to work.

The behavior of that Info Overlay seems to be a little buggy/inconsistent, even on Windows.

francois

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

If it doesn't, try this:
- In Library mode, show one image (not full-screen, just the one pic full window mode).
- Hit the I key a few times to see if the Info overlay shows (you may need to wait a sec for the image to fully load).
- If that works, then put the image into full-screen mode and see if the I key continues to work.

The behavior of that Info Overlay seems to be a little buggy/inconsistent, even on Windows.

The "I" key does nothing once you're in full screen mode. If some info is displays when in non-full screen, the hitting F will only show the image (without the overlay info).
Francois

Eyeball

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 11:28:21 am »

The "I" key does nothing once you're in full screen mode. If some info is displays when in non-full screen, the hitting F will only show the image (without the overlay info).

You're talking Mac, I assume?  It works in Windows, although it seems to require "priming" sometimes in normal view first.  There are some threads in the Adobe LR forum talking about inconsistent Info Overlay behavior.

francois

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 11:36:41 am »

You're talking Mac, I assume?  It works in Windows, although it seems to require "priming" sometimes in normal view first.  There are some threads in the Adobe LR forum talking about inconsistent Info Overlay behavior.

Yes, I'm using a Mac…
Francois

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 06:44:31 pm »

I’m a little confused, but I think the challenge is the buggy info overlay thing, not the OS. for me,  Command J brings up the view options dialog in both library and develop, and it works fine in normal or full screen.  The I (no modifier) key shows the info overlay, and if it isn’t showing it’s because it’s temporarily broken.

To fix it, I always flip from library to develop, trying to get it to show up, and cycling through the 3 options.  I think once it is “working” it seems pretty good  until you quit Lightroom.

There’s probably some “exact” sequence that will bring it back to normal when it doesn’t seem to work, but usually can get it working pretty quickly.

I’d try switching to normal screen mode until the overlay works, then I think it will work once you pop back to full screen.

I just tried it and the info overlay is working fine in full screen ....

bjanes

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »

Bill, it seems to be a feature of Mac (or the lack thereof). So, yes, when in full-screen mode (pressing "F") you can not have info overlay at the same time. The same goes for the "L" mode (lights-off mode, or background dimming), you can't have info overlay either.

I guess the logic is that for both modes the purpose is to see the picture itself, and only the picture, on a clean black background, uncluttered with anything else.

That rationale makes sense, but in our local camera club we have competitions where we project images for competitions and like to have the title of the image shown and the maker creator identity after the judging is complete. LR wasn't designed for this purpose, but that is what we are trying to do.

Thanks for your imput,

Bill

bjanes

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:06 pm »

If it doesn't, try this:

Eyeball,

Thanks for the input, but that doesn't work on the Mac, but it does in windows. I conclude that what I am trying to do is not possible with LR on the Mac.

Bill

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 09:14:22 pm »

That rationale makes sense, but in our local camera club we have competitions where we project images for competitions and like to have the title of the image shown and the maker creator identity after the judging is complete...

What about Slideshow module in LR? I do not have much experience with it, but isn't it capable of adding such info?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 01:56:18 am »

I conclude that what I am trying to do is not possible with LR on the Mac.

Guessing I' not understanding what the issue is ... I thought what I described is what your screen capture showed earlier.

Here's the screen capture from my Mac in full screen mode ...isn't this what you are trying to do?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 02:00:44 am »

Isn't full screen mode supposed to be with black background, not gray?

francois

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 05:00:37 am »

Guessing I' not understanding what the issue is ... I thought what I described is what your screen capture showed earlier.

Here's the screen capture from my Mac in full screen mode ...isn't this what you are trying to do?

Wayne,
You're not in full screen mode! I had the same thought (see my first and second reply in this discussion) but full screen mode is entered when you hit the "F" key (either in the library or develop module).
Francois

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 06:39:03 am »

What about Slideshow module in LR? I do not have much experience with it, but isn't it capable of adding such info?

Correct. For Bill's purpose, it's what I would use - you have more choice of what fields to show and size/position.

Incidentally, when you go into fullscreen mode (ie hit F in Lr5), the info overlay isn't available on Windows either.

John
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:00:05 am by john beardsworth »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up